Help? 2006 - just installed Power commander v - running like CRAP!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
Installed per instructions, disconnected O2 sensor (subsequently tried reconnecting), reset throttle position. Idles just fine. When pulling away in 1st gear it's totally running awful, almost like it's running out of gas.

I had done the barbarian mod before - make any difference?

I used dielectric grease on the connectors - make any difference?

Any input appreciated. Thank you.

Any error codes, diagnostics via the dash ?

Any yellow engine light warnings ? Could have disconnected the wrong wire for the co sensor plug, been there done that.

You did hook up that neutral wire from the PC5 to the negative of the battery terminal and not the frame as per instructions.

The frame will NOT do. that will cause the bike to run awful.

Just go back and start again check everything.

Injector plugs fully seated, wrong map.

And dialectic grease aka silicon grease is an insulator, look it up, google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
fool.gif
blushing.gif

Man do I feel stupid. Completely misinformed on dielectric grease. It's amazing that most of my shit runs at all.

A properly designed connector "squeezes" out the grease so you will still have metal-to-metal contact. The contacts don't carry very much current and I doubt that the use of the dielectric grease is causing your problems. I would be leaning toward bad map, bad ground connection or a device that is FUBAR.

If you have a crook pin or a poor swiping contact on that pin it can make things worse.

Transducer circuits of 5 volts do not like it.

No where on instructions does it say to use silicon grease on the connectors.

And it would have a 5 volt +ve the ECU throttle output & maybe the injectors.

Aren't they fed straight from the ECU ???

Thanks y'all. I'm going to clean the connectors with electric connector cleaner and double-check ground, although I'm pretty sure it's firmly secured to the negative post on the battery.

And then check the map,download the map into the laptop and check it or just reinstall it from the laptop.

If no good, maybe the PC5 is buggered, as mentioned by RossKean in a post above, hope not.

Load up a zero map, all zero's, and see what happens, the PC5 shouldn’t effect the bikes fuelling at all then, no change, maybe the map was named wrong.

Good luck

If you are looking through issues, connect a PC to the PC-V using the PowerCommander software - it will help you understand what is wrong because it displays what the PC-V is doing in real time.

Also, disconnect the O2 sensor - it causes nothing but trouble with the PC-V.

For troubleshooting purposes, you can download a zero map to the PC and reconnect the O2 sensor. At that point it should run as if the PC is not even there. If it is still running badly then you have a bad connection somewhere or the PC is FUBAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a PC5 to my 2006. I used the Dyna Jet map. Low end was still lean. I added fuel to the low end between just off idle and maybe 1/4 throttle. After that, hold on.

After some research on similar problems, I installed a brand-new battery. No dice. I checked the Throttle Position Sensor via the diag screen and all looked fine, but as I understand it, that may not be definitive. AND, I should note, I disconnected the PC and seem to be having the same trouble, maybe magnified by PC. Since the problem seems to fall in line with TPS issues, I have one on order and will replace ASAP. Crossing my fingers, I'm missing my bike and the riding weather is just about here in Phoenix.

The TPS in my 2003 abs Euro/2004 US model,was defective.There was a recall about.Checked the TPS via the diag screen and looked fine as yours.

I had similar symptoms like yours.Installed a new TPS and the problem solved..Hope that the new TPS will resolve your problem.We waiting...