Help Figure out what I need to replace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cricket, glad you are safe and not injured. I am also seeing some good people stepping up. Hycle of course...and the Bugnatr man pointing you to the right guy.

Can I say the people on this forum rock? Of course I can, Y'all ROCK!

I've called the dealer for the rotor replacement. Yes he can do it. He wants MSRP for the rotors ($252 each). I can get them ordered from my hometown dealer for $152/each. This dealer can't/won't match that price. The downside is that it will take 10 days.

I have one more Sacremento area dealer to call tomorrow (they're closed Mondays)

Without this turning into a NEPRT topic, what's the consensus on aftermarket rotors, assuming I can find them locally-ish more quickly. Galfers, or others?

Try the salvage yards, I'm sure there are rotors available that are straight enough to do the job.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Paul,

I think I know what happened with your electrical system. You said that when your brakes went bad you pulled over to the side of the road and turned on your emergency 4 way flashers. I'm assuming you shut down your bike first.

Another issue, I’m not sure is related, but when I stopped I had the hazard lights going. After some point they were not on. They key was in the ON position, but there was no display on the dash nor dials. It’s a Shorai Lithium battery.
When you run the 4ways, it requires the ignition switch to be in the on position to flow electricity to the turn signal flasher. The time it took from turning them on until help arrived must have been long enough to run down the battery to the point where the lights and the dash display were out.

The current plan is to replace the pads, rotors (front) and battery. Hycle reported that the current one is only showing 10.17v
Subsequent discussion, off line, mentioned Mike measuring the 10.7 volts after charging it on a Shorai charger. This leads me to believe that the battery saw a severe discharge from the time on the side of the road flashing the 4 ways (with the ignition on), and is damaged. Both my Shorai batteries were killed from severe discharge. I have since gone back to the standard GS battery which Yamaha provides.

It didn't take long for my bike to kill it, because when I came back to it an hour and a half later it was stone cold dead. I had deployed the kickstand to stop the engine, yet forgot to shut off and remove my key. A very expensive breakfast at MickeyD's in West Yellowstone that morning. My buddy SacMike was kind enough to keep giving me morning jump starts from his bike for the rest of that trip. It was so bad near the end that after all day running, I could watch the battery voltage drop on my Datel, tenth by tenth until it settled somewhere around 8 volts.

When you get a new battery and have it properly charged before putting it into service, your electrical system should be just fine - no worse for wear.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Cricket, glad you are safe and not injured. I am also seeing some good people stepping up. Hycle of course...and the Bugnatr man pointing you to the right guy.
Can I say the people on this forum rock? Of course I can, Y'all ROCK!
Thanks Wheatie, this place is special - we gotta take of each other. :)

Paul, I have used this guy in north Sacramento. Aaron @ BHP Motorsports (916) 334-1238. https://bhpmoto.com/

Former Yamaha tech and knows FJR's well. May be worth a call, no idea how busy he is.

You can change the rotors yourself if you have access to heat. When you heat up the bolt heads that looses up the locktite.

Also have Galfers rotors on my bike. This same set of rotors have been on 3 FJR's. It does take a little more messing around to get the calipers off but I really like them.

I'm at Hycle's. The pads are out, calipers cleaned. Cleaned up the area too. I'll upload pictures when I have wifi (currently under a really nice canopy Hycle set up over my FJR!) as I'm tethering using my phone.

Hycle has a fancy thingy and doesn't think the rotors are warped. Yes, the one is discolored (brake lever side), there was also a lot of what looked like gravel debris in the rotor holes. When I removed the brake pads there was a lot of that debris and brake dust. The pads are really glazed over. I've scuffed up the rotors as well as I can (I owe a new sanding pad).

Brodie, Yes, motor was off. It somewhat annoyed me that I had to leave the key on for the 4-way. My phone was also down to 17% battery and I was charging it. I left that out as I wasn't thinking about it. So, factory reconditioned has been shipped from Shorai. That's coming free of charge, including the shipping here and back!

EBC rotos; I'll look those up. Galfer, tempting if I need them from Cycle Gear...of course they're an "Online Order" only option. Salvage yard, I could call them during a break tomorrow.

I'm still kinda shocked (because I don't know the place) that Roseville wouldn't at least drop the rotor price a little. He said what I was about to pay is better than his employee discount. I guess I didn't think too much about it because I order my small bits from my local dealer. Not schilling for them, but check out rotor prices on www.partsfish.com -- I even called to make sure that wasn't a mistake in pricing. He said "nope, but I can't have them dropped shipped" They would have to receive them and turn around and ship them.

Once I post up the rotor pics I'll let y'all pick over them and tell me what I should order. Hycle knows a local bike shop and they said they'd charge $100 to swap rotors, and they know that it's a challenge.

You can change the rotors yourself if you have access to heat. When you heat up the bolt heads that loosens up the locktite.
Also have Galfers rotors on my bike. This same set of rotors have been on 3 FJR's. It does take a little more messing around to get the calipers off & on but I really like them.
JSNS

You can change the rotors yourself if you have access to heat. When you heat up the bolt heads that loosens up the locktite.
Also have Galfers rotors on my bike. This same set of rotors have been on 3 FJR's. It does take a little more messing around to get the calipers off & on but I really like them.
JSNS
Duly noted sir!

Next question;

If the rotors are not warped but are discolored from excessive heat, should I still consider replacing them? Are the rotors more brittle now? I have lots of mountain passes to traverse on the ride home.

Been there done that on a car with marginally rusted calipers/brake pistons. I ended up replacing the rotor because it was ugly and warrantied, but ultimately I didn't need to. I'm still driving on the pads that toasted the rotor, and they are just fine.

While your pads and rotors can still probably be used, think of the seals inside your calipers, and how hot those must have gotten. I would ultimately pop those out and at least get eyes on them to be sure that they haven't deformed.

Been there done that on a car with marginally rusted calipers/brake pistons. I ended up replacing the rotor because it was ugly and warrantied, but ultimately I didn't need to. I'm still driving on the pads that toasted the rotor, and they are just fine.
While your pads and rotors can still probably be used, think of the seals inside your calipers, and how hot those must have gotten. I would ultimately pop those out and at least get eyes on them to be sure that they haven't deformed.

A seal kit had been on my mind. It might be something we inspect once the new pads arrive. Thanks!

A bit late to this party (been riding). My experience of this - posted here - may be relevant, but in my case Yamaha footed the bill for changing rotors, pads, pins, fluid ...

I never did find out why mine occurred, certainly not caused by heavy braking nor by moisture (never would have got hot enough to boil water in this episode). No recurrence.

Well, there's a hitch in the giddyup... The brake pads I ordered arrived. Four pads arrived...W.T.F. I used the part number and quantity that I got from the site I normally order from (partsfish.com, no affiliation, it's my hometown dealer). I found the email for that order (from april of 2014) and I just ordered two packages.

So now I'm scrambling and hoping I can find EBC or something before Saturday.

I appreciate those who say I can reuse the pads. They are really glazed over and I don't feel confident riding those 1660 miles. I haven't really inspected them closely to see if the material is cracked, but it was $80 for all the brake pads the last time I ordered them and I felt that was a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.

Unless y'all want to come get me wherever I break down :p

mcatrophy; great read and thank you for sharing that! Quite the ordeal and I'm also jealous that I can't just ride around Spain :)