HELP! My helmet makes my head itch so bad.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebullet

Towing the Short Bus
Reaction score
I ride with my hubby all around the country and if we go for more than 2 hours my head starts to itch so bad I don't wanna wear my helmet. I am looking for possible solutions.

Beth

Make sure the helmet liner is clean. Try a balaclava. If that ain't it, then perhaps you have a poor fitting helmet or one that needs a liner made of more comfortable material? If purchasing another helmet is too spendy, maybe you could fabricate something that fits against the liner, but keeps you comfy.

Good luck!!

Have you tried a helmet liner? Looks kinda like a do-rag... they make them out of lots of materials... including that Cool-max stuff... might be worth a try. Maybe it's your shampoo... do you sweat (I know... women glow... whatever) inside your helmet?

Have you tried a helmet liner? Looks kinda like a do-rag... they make them out of lots of materials... including that Cool-max stuff... might be worth a try. Maybe it's your shampoo... do you sweat (I know... women glow... whatever) inside your helmet?
Man Groo...you got big ones boy....dude haven't you learned...when your right your wrong & when your wrong...your really wrong :blink: ....still really ballsy though...

Man Groo...you got big ones boy....dude haven't you learned...when your right your wrong & when your wrong...your really wrong :blink: ....still really ballsy though...
:huh: WadidIsay?

If your helmet liners are removable, I suggest washing them in mild anti bacterial soap, and also wipe the inside the shell with some alcohol. check the vents, that they are clear and not obstructed.

If you didn't have this problem when the helmet was new, then this might help. Other suggestions would be to try a different helmet and see if you still have the same symptoms. You may be getting an allergic reaction to either the liner material or you may not be getting enough ventilation for the heat to escape, that may be irritating the top of your head.

Remove the helmet and go naked. Just wear sunglasses. Some of "us" have a hard time steering when food(bugs) hit us.

Beth:

I have actually had remarkably good success eliminating head itch by trying different types of Shampoos. For years when I was on holiday I would use whatever freebies were available in the hotel. And some days my head would be incredibly itchy, somedays not as much, somedays not at all. Eventually I twigged to the fact that it was the different shampoos I used in the morning that would affect how itchy my head was or wasn't that day.

So after some expermintation I found a shampoo which works great for me. So, not saying that specific one would work for you. But consider what hair care products your using and try varying them till you find something that doesn't cause your head to be as itchy.

FWIW I use Pert which includes the conditioner. They have various "types" and some of them dont work well for me. There is one in particular that seems to work best.

Hope this helps

Colin

PS. Keep wearing the helmet even if it is itchy, If you don't you may find the road rash even itchier....

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride with my hubby all around the country and if we go for more than 2 hours my head starts to itch so bad I don't wanna wear my helmet. I am looking for possible solutions.
Beth
We wear SILKY helmet liners that we bought from WhitehorseGear.com. They seem to prevent or cure several helmet related ailments.

Charlie

Shave your head get rid of the bugs :yahoo: :yahoo:

Try vagilsil or lamasil they both get rid of the itch :yahoo: :yahoo:

Are you sure you are not a scratch golfer with that kind of problem

could not resist good luck on your find for the cure

Hi All,

When riding my 10/10ths this May on my way to HyderSeek I incurred a bad case of 'helmet itch'. I normally wear a Silk Helmet Liner so I changed it out with my 'spare'. Ends up BOTH of them were tired of being worn in that helmet (I had just finished a ride into Southern Mexico a week earlier). So, I cleaned them both out in a bathroom sink with hand soap and tied them to my bike to air-dry.

Then, I remembered seeing somewhere that using Listerine would help to get rid of the itch... I didn't have any Listerene... BUTT, I did have some Listerine Breath Spray. I'm sure it looked funny with me spraying that stuff inside my helmet and in my hair... butt, it sure did help until my liners were dry again.

214-5244.jpg