Help properly using my new Penske

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so quick update and a couple of 'issues'.
Put on some PR2s (replaced PR4s) and wow! what a difference. Despite dozens of tire changes before, I've never noticed such a stark difference in handling. More than once in the first hour, I stopped and did visual checks for something loose or out of place as the bike seemed so agile it was bordering on unstable. Maybe it's the new tires coupled with the upgrades or maybe my PR4s were just really flat, who knows. After 600 miles now, the bike feels ready for the track.

Ive watched a couple of Moss's videos and tried to set up the bike as demonstrated but far more challenging to push down on an FJR. Still, I softened the suspension all around and payed close attention to rebound settings and the change is definitely noticeable and positive. I also have an extra 100 pounds of load to what I have been driving since the upgrade.

One issue I really need help with is setting the preload on both front and back. I'm at 3 on the forks and I placed zip ties on them and even after a day's driving, there is still an inch and a half of travel left before bottoming out. On the shock, I cannot seem to adjust the preload. I tried using an allen wrench and was able to rotate an 1/8 of a turn but then it was far to firm. Tried different angles and nada. I also noticed the hose connected to the reservoir also moved as I rotated the ring and thought that this shouldn't happen. I could not find any locking screws.

One final concern: I just washed the bike and noticed a very small (thin) o-ring about an inch down from the top of the fork. There seems to be a small gap between the tubes where it sits. I also found a small orange wedgy plastic thing on the ground. It looks like a doorstop wedge but the length of a toothpick. So obviously this is used to push the ring into its seat? But should I be worried that this has fallen out?

Off to Montana and Glacier. Looking forward to some twisties.

I switched from PR2 to PR4 a little "early" because I was headed out on a trip, other than the usual "new tire" feel, there was little change in turn-in, as opposed to when I've ridden tires to the cords and had them flat in the center. The profile of both is almost identical, so you probably just had flattened the center of the old tires.

PR2 and PR4 ride similar in the dry in my experience. The 4 may be better in the wet, I have no complaints (and I've ridden in some frog stranglers!) but I had none with the PR2, either.