Help - Rider on the Road - 07 Gen 2 FJR with 23" Rifle Windshield - Windshield "Flex or Flop"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
LCB is here preparing for the Red Lodge Rendezvous - she brought her FJR this far on her trailer.

While traveling she noticed that the Windscreen seemed to be flopping back and forth in the turbulent air behind the tow vehicle.

When I measure Fore and Aft movement of the top of the screen I get 3/4" pressing the windscreen with minimal effort.

Question: Is this normal for a Gen 2?

If not normal is the Windscreen in danger of falling off?

How does one "tighten this up"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal.

Can't tighten it up.

Won't rip off in (reasonably) laminar flow air riding down the highway. Hard to say if it would be an issue in very turbulent air as possible on a trailer. I know mine shakes pretty good while passing a truck, especially if there is a strong cross-wind. That's only for a few seconds; could be worse for an extended period of time. If in doubt, take 10 minutes and remove the windscreen and replace it when you get there.

Normal.
Can't tighten it up.

Won't rip off in (reasonably) laminar flow air riding down the highway. Hard to say if it would be an issue in very turbulent air as possible on a trailer. I know mine shakes pretty good while passing a truck, especially if there is a strong cross-wind. That's only for a few seconds; could be worse for an extended period of time. If in doubt, take 10 minutes and remove the windscreen and replace it when you get there.
She is already here, I've no experience with the Gen 2, Gen 3 much different and no flop.

Thanks for your answer

My Gen II flops around a good deal but I've checked and it's installed as it should be, so I don't worry..

I have a rifle on mine, also confirm it flops. I (no shit) sometimes grab it with my left hand when passing trucks and it really gets bouncing. That being said, if it's back there on a trailer being exposed to that kind of turbulence for extended periods, I'd probably take the time to remove it before transfer just to cut down on wear and tear. Taking it on and off is about a 15 minute job is all...

If it has the Rifle tuning block installed, that can come loose.

Those screws that hold it in place need to be Loctited.

You have to pull off the W to get to the screws that hold the windscreen. They are underneath in the front. Once the W is off tighten up the 4 plastic screws. Be warned, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN OR THEY WILL BREAK. You just want to make sure they haven't come loose. Oh and buy the way they will over time. Just snug them down. Put the W back in place and your done.

Good luck,

Dave

Dave those screws are tight, it is the whole assemblythat comes through the fairing that is moving

Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice and support. Bike feels fine while riding and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Dave those screws are tight, it is the whole assemblythat comes through the fairing that is moving
Yup - like I said, with everything locked down as it should be, there's a lot of movement. Must be from the play in the brackets and guides and such..

No worries. My gen2 Rifle with 200k has more slop than that. Agree that if trailering, secure it. No worries. Ride on.

I put that windscreen and tuning blocks on that bike. It does have a lot of movement. The flex is in the arms on the height adjustment. I had the whole nose apart and completely cleaned and re-lubricated the mechanism as it was binding. As for the turbulent punishment on the trailer: it might be a good idea to just remove the screen during travel. My 07 has the same slop. That is improved on the 15.

I have a rifle on mine, also confirm it flops. I (no shit) sometimes grab it with my left hand when passing trucks and it really gets bouncing. That being said, if it's back there on a trailer being exposed to that kind of turbulence for extended periods, I'd probably take the time to remove it before transfer just to cut down on wear and tear. Taking it on and off is about a 15 minute job is all...
Completely agree with Spud. I have the same issues when in heavy turbulence. Even regular pick up trucks create enough dirty air that it get's very scary bouncy at times. FWIW, my screen is a large Cee Baileys with reverse flip.

IF - and that is a very big IF, my bike were EVER going to be on a trailer for an extended distance
bleh.gif
haha.gif
I would take the 15 minutes (if that) and just take it off. Bottom line, it's simple to remove the shield. Take it off before trailering the bike back home.

BTW - I carry extra nylon screws for the windshield in my tank bag. I bought a pack of 100 from an industrial supply a few years ago for something like $16 delivered. The head of the screw wasn't exact, and they are a touch longer, but so what. The screw heads are covered by the W anyway. Of course I have now misplaced the bag - so I have 90 or so sitting around in a box in my garage somewhere... but at least I have 10 or so in my tank bag should the need ever arise. I guess that means I ended up paying even more than the $1 per screw the dealer charges.
lol.gif
But I'll be in high cotton, with a bunch of screws I don't need, should I ever find the lost bag!
snooks.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if just using duct tape to pull it back would be sufficient to stop it waving around on a trailer?

My 06 moved quite a bit from new, my 07 I bought in 2010 was far tighter.

Think it's normal.

I trailered a project FJR 700 kms back home and noticed it's windscreen moved quite a bit from the turbulence as well.