HELP!! with oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredder

Reaction score
Hello all,,, I just got my 2006 FJR1300 and I figured I'd do an oil change...... except it only says it will take 20W40 weight oil. Yeah, well, NO DEALER ANYWHERE NEAR ME CARRIES IT and I've heard to use two different wieghts by two different dealers!!!!!! What should I use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? 10W40, 20W50??? HELP PLEASE my bike has an empty crank case!!!

Hello all,,, I just got my 2006 FJR1300 and I figured I'd do an oil change...... except it only says it will take 20W40 weight oil. Yeah, well, NO DEALER ANYWHERE NEAR ME CARRIES IT and I've heard to use two different wieghts by two different dealers!!!!!! What should I use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? 10W40, 20W50??? HELP PLEASE my bike has an empty crank case!!!
Oh boy, me thinks lots of folks are going to jump on you for asking this question: but I won't. I run Chevron Delo 15/40 IIRC. Depending upon the climate, you might want to run a 20/50 e.g. desert rat. My local temps still run low 40's to high 100's so I like the slightly thinner oil 15/40.

And read here newbies but either choice would be better than an empty crankcase. I'd go with 10/40 (20/50 too thick for fjr) but will leave the rest to the dogs.

LOL!!

Yeah, I figured I'd be the new fish whipping boy for quite the time after this one but I was worried of catastrophic engine failure due to the number gremlin. Normally I would not ask becasue the 40 is the number I'm concerned with but a 20W weight? What gives! What really threw me for a spin was the different factory dealers giving me COMPLETELY different answers with NONE of the 5 I contacted stocking any 20W40. LOL AAAAHHHHHHH! I'm throwin in 10W40 and I'm gonna be done with it.... thanks for the link!!!! I'll be able to keep myself busy now!!

LSUBOY

1997 Royal Star

150,000 miles

Shell Rotella-T

15W40

Walmart Super TECH Filter #7317

2005 Royal Star Venture

52,000 Miles

Shell Rotella-T

15W40

Walmart Super Tech Filter #6607 or 7317

2006 FJR1300

23,000 miles

Shell Rotella-T

15W40

Walmart Super TECH Filter #7317

Note: Walmart Super TECH filter #6607 & 7317 are the same however, one is about an inch shorter than the other....Your bike takes the longer one.

GET-UP-ON-THAT!

I currently have been using 20w50. It was laying around and I had enough to fill the large thirsty FeeJ crank case. It was either that or Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I'll be using the highly recommended 15w40 Rotella next oil change. :blink:

You have to remember you basically need a good all around gear, clutch, and engine oil. I would say most would do the job well, some better then others. There are plenty of posts about this in the forum and our official unofficial forum expert jestal has some great posts on this.

I'm surprised this only get a few hits last night. Lucky you. :lol:

Enjoy the forum and ride safe. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NONE of the 5 I contacted stocking any 20W40.
My understanding is Yamaha was the only one with a 20/40 and they discontinued making it, being the reason you can't find it at any dealer. My dealer said run what you feel comfortable with, I.E. 10/30, 10/40, 20/50 (in the extreme hot climates), 15/40, yadda, yadda.......

I'll put in 10/40 for summer, and 10/30 for winter.

The Yammie dealers in Denver and Boulder I spoke with said Yammie is now recommending 20w50 now. For my next oil change I'm using Rotella T.

LSUBOY, if you have 150k on a stock engine and have been using the Rotella T............ I think that is a helluva recommendation! I actually considered some EVOO after dealing with the parts dept at my local dealer !!!

I have been using Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10W40 in my previous bikes along with Amsoil, Mobil1 Motorcycle, BelRay, ETC.... However, those are 2x - 3x times more expensive than the Valvoline at the local superstore and I'm a fan of Valvoline anyway.

I'm gonna check into those WalMart filters,,,,, Thanks again for all the help!!!

I run Chevron Delo 15/40 IIRC. Depending upon the climate, you might want to run a 20/50 e.g. desert rat. My local temps still run low 40's to high 100's so I like the slightly thinner oil 15/40.
Yep, me too!

IIRC, Jestal and the MCN report both suggested Diesel oil (Delo is Chevron's alternative to Rotella).

Disclaimer: With respect to my age and injury affected brain, this response could be a matter of "selective memory syndrome".

In the FAQ section (You did read it as suggested when you signed onto the forum, didn't you?) is Rickster's "06-'08 Bin-O-Facts (Generation II), Accumulation of '06+ FJR Data" in which all of the alternative oil filters are listed.

U wanna great oil, for all temps, all year long?! Go with Castrol Syn. 5w40...good for Turbos, Diesels, gasoline, mocycles....u name it. You`ll never go back.

You might still be able to get Yamaha 20/40 from fjrgoodies.com, they had some the last time I ordered. Excellent folks to deal with.

Finally, I think I have the right place to bring this up... I have been hearing "Rotella this" and "Rotella that" and when I finally find it (WalMart) it turns out to be a diesel oil... I stepped back slowly and decided to search the forum again to see if ANYONE has ever mentioned it was actually diesel oil... Is this right? Seriously, is this the same Rotella you use? Diesel oil?

I picked up the Mobil 1 synth because I know that is good to go, but seriously, are you talking diesel oils when you talk Delo-Rotella-etc? It was 15-40, which is closer to being appropriate (ie Yamalube 20-40)

*I know some of you want to pile on, so I have braced myself against the computer desk to help absorb the impacts*

The PeePeeTickler gets fresh blood tomorrow, (Mobil 1 synthetic, unless I get an answer that gives me more confidence that diesel oil is a better choice), so any honest help would be repaid in the afterlife!

C

Why would one drain the oil and not have any replacement oil?.....like amsoil?

just for instance.

Finally, I think I have the right place to bring this up... I have been hearing "Rotella this" and "Rotella that" and when I finally find it (WalMart) it turns out to be a diesel oil... I stepped back slowly and decided to search the forum again to see if ANYONE has ever mentioned it was actually diesel oil... Is this right? Seriously, is this the same Rotella you use? Diesel oil?
I picked up the Mobil 1 synth because I know that is good to go, but seriously, are you talking diesel oils when you talk Delo-Rotella-etc? It was 15-40, which is closer to being appropriate (ie Yamalube 20-40)

*I know some of you want to pile on, so I have braced myself against the computer desk to help absorb the impacts*

The PeePeeTickler gets fresh blood tomorrow, (Mobil 1 synthetic, unless I get an answer that gives me more confidence that diesel oil is a better choice), so any honest help would be repaid in the afterlife!

C
Yep, the diesel oil is what we use. Why? More anti-wear additives, with no "friction modifiers" that could dick-up your clutch.

Oh, and some use the 15-40 regular, while others use the 5-40 synthetic. Either is fine.

Just be sure that whatever oil you choose, it does not have the "starburst" on the label. These oils have "friction modifiers" that are intended for automobile engines and maximum fuel efficiency. These modifiers are not good for a motorcycle wet-clutch. (slippage)

Latest posts