Hi ALL! Have wanted an FJR for a long time and ready to pull trigger, price check?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD1

Reaction score
I think I have wanted one of these bikes since they started making it. I found an 05' with 46K, asking $4950 and offered $4500 which seems like he is willing to take. Is that a reasonable deal? I also found an 04' with less miles, but the 05 is the blue color I like. Any opinions on the price or pre purchase advise? Any difference between 04-05 worth noting other than the color? Thanks in advance!

If the '05 has been properly maintained the price sounds reasonable. Is it an ABS model? That would be a plus. Any extras installed? The Galaxy Blue is freaking beautiful!

Get the newest bike you can afford. With your offer, the 46k mile '05 is a reasonable buy, I definitely wouldn't go any higher though. It's coming up on bike buying season, if it doesn't work out be patient, they'll be many, many more FJRs available.

Good luck!

--G

Sounds to me like a decent deal on the best color the FJR has ever been produced in. Welcome to the forum. Just wait till you ride it.

What are you riding now?

How do I know if it has ABS???? I am going to see it in the morning. Thanks for the feedback!!

How do I know if it has ABS???? I am going to see it in the morning. Thanks for the feedback!!
Couple of easy clues. First, if it still has the original front fender then it'll have an "ABS" sticker on the side(s). Second, look for a ABS sensor and cover on the LH side of front wheel and RH side of rear wheel.

--G

Even more obvious I would think would be the abs light on the dash? Wait.. does the non abs have a light labeled abs?

I think someone said on here once that you could tell by the color of the caps on the calipers.

BLUE=Non ABS

SILVER=ABS

But I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

All the above is true. Price is ok. You can do better, but if you like the bike go for it. If it IS an abs model I would test the abs to make sure it works. ABS pumps can go out on older Gen I models. It's an expensive repair.

I've seen Gen III (2013 and later) models go in the $8500 range. If it were me that's what I would be looking for. If you can afford it, they ARE that much better.

And the '04 Cerulean Silver color kicks the '05 Bass Boat Blue color. 05 Bass Boat Blue is for pussies!

05 Bass Boat Blue is for pussies!
Thems fightin' words! be careful next time you show your face in NERDS country.
<thread drift>

I believe Skoot has already kicked NERDS butt. He showed up with his demo truck and proceed to drain both yours and Fred W's bank accounts. He has a hook in my bank account too but hasn't yet landed this fish.

</thread drift>

How many miles on that Blue Beauty? All of the ABS tips are correct. If only one of the two FJRs you are looking at has ABS, I would lean toward the ABS model. As mentioned, some small number of the older FJRs have an issue with just the rear ABS spool freezing up, the bike still rides and brakes fine except the rear wheel can lock up like a normal non ABS bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those from the "non-fishing" community thought Bass Boats were Green. Blue bikes are the bestest.

Hell, maybe I buy one more and paint it white, I'll have the merican flag FJRs (red-white-blue) for y'all who don't habla.

TGIF....

There are no pumps on the ABS on a 2005. they are ELECRTICALLY operated. afield just bought a 2006 with 24K on it from the BMW dealer in Sacramento ca. for 4900.00 last friday

OK I am an owner! I stayed up late last night searching and wound up buying 2004 cerulean silver with a whopping 7400 miles on the ODO for the princely sum of $3500. The bike runs and rides perfectly however it has a bunch of scratches on the right side of the bike from the original owner who scratched it up in his garage Parking it too close to another bike and falling into it. Oops. It's noticeable but it's surface I will see if it bothers me after a while and maybe correct it maybe not. Tires are just OK I could see myself putting a new set on in the next five or 6000 miles. I will post pictures in a bit.

OK I am an owner! I stayed up late last night searching and wound up buying 2004 cerulean silver with a whopping 7400 miles on the ODO for the princely sum of $3500. The bike runs and rides perfectly however it has a bunch of scratches on the right side of the bike from the original owner who scratched it up in his garage Parking it too close to another bike and falling into it. Oops. It's noticeable but it's surface I will see if it bothers me after a while and maybe correct it maybe not. Tires are just OK I could see myself putting a new set on in the next five or 6000 miles. I will post pictures in a bit.

Booo! Ugly Cerulean Silver! Blah.

Of course, you saved about $1000. Sounds about how I ended up with silver myself.
biggrin.png

Yep!! I do like the blue better, buying a bike on the cheap made that decision irrelevant. By the way this is a non-ABS bike

You won't care what color it is when you are riding it 700 miles away from home, grinning from ear to ear, cruising in the mountain twisties.
biggrin.png