Hi Way Pegs Finished

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootman286

Reaction score
I posted my first idea for hi way pegs a bit ago.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113325

Well I have finished the first side (right) and wanted to get some feedback on the finished result. I had to shorten them a bit since I am only 5'7"

They are held in place (up position) with magnets and slide in/out very easily with my foot.

So far, I like it a lot. I will complete the left side within the next week or so. I only get random times at work to use the mill.....

What say ye:

Hi01001.jpg

Hi01002.jpg

Hi01003.jpg

Hi01004.jpg

Hi01005.jpg

Looks interesting. Just wondering if there are any adverse effects in hot weather to blocking a big part of the opening in the fairing?

Looks interesting. Just wondering if there are any adverse effects in hot weather to blocking a big part of the opening in the fairing?
JamesK......it really does not seem to block the opening very much and it seems to get good air through it. I will watch for that and see if there are any adverse results on water temp.

Nice scootman!

How about a photo with you on the bike, to get a sense of where your legs land? My problem is that the usual position for hi-way pegs on most bikes doesn't really change the bend in my legs, meaning no real benefit for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow! Are you kidding? Those look like holy horror ground scrapers. Not me ever.

Nice scootman!
How about a photo with you on the bike, to get a sense of where your legs land? My problem is that the usual position for hi-way pegs on most bikes doesn't really change the bend in my legs, meaning no real benefit for me.
I like that stripe set on your black cherry bike....nice work.....

I will get a photo of me on it and post it up tonight....

Holy cow! Are you kidding? Those look like holy horror ground scrapers. Not me ever.
Well sure, if I go down, they will scrape, but for the long haul, it is easy to flip them out and get some relief for my legs. I have had to work to a level of comfort on the bike. My left leg had all bones broken on my 1100 XS Special back in 80 and it takes a bit to make that long haul comfortable. I lowered my left peg and shifter 1 inch and when I am on the long ride, I am not too prone to cutting corners enough to scrape anything.....

Thanks for the thoughts, but they seem to work for me.

Nice scootman!
I like that stripe set on your black cherry bike....nice work.....

I will get a photo of me on it and post it up tonight....
Take a ride first, that bike is too clean. ;)

I would be concerned about those bad boys getting too much lift and sending you into the wild blue yonder.... :rolleyes:

No kidding Mr Head,

These are about the same height or even lower to the ground & twice as long as the ones that now help the bike to slide on its side. It's hard to make a height comparison from these pictures.

I understand why you're doing it scootman... but you are a brave soul for even considering this idea. I'd expect that these would ground rub even in a mild curve.

Be careful & be aware that there may be problems with these... & look out for that curve that comes out of nowhere w/o warning.

I would imagine they would be great for relief on the long highway drones. Obviously, they would be in their full upright position when attacking the twisties.

Glenn

Well I guess the consensus is you all don't like my pegs, oh well, they work for what I need them for.

Thanks for the feedback.....

Well I guess the consensus is you all don't like my pegs, oh well, they work for what I need them for.
I like em, and if I didn't have crash bars on the way I'd ask you to make a set for me.

I currently have pegs mounted from my Aluminum frame wrecking sliders, and that clearly is the best ergonomic place to mount them. Wild bill pegs didn't really help me and only bashed my shins in the fairings...

IMG_1021.JPG

No kidding Mr Head,
These are about the same height or even lower to the ground & twice as long as the ones that now help the bike to slide on its side. It's hard to make a height comparison from these pictures.

I understand why you're doing it scootman... but you are a brave soul for even considering this idea. I'd expect that these would ground rub even in a mild curve.

Be careful & be aware that there may be problems with these... & look out for that curve that comes out of nowhere w/o warning.

What race track are you on when you come so close to scraping the fairing that the little protrusion on those folded up highway pegs would actually scrape the ground? That would be what... 70-75% lean? I would like to see that FJR that far leaned over, would be a cool pic.

To each his own. If it makes any difference, the workmanship looks wonderful.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. That wasn't how I intended my criticism to come out.

& maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Edited to add: Jay, don't be such a smartass. I wasn't talking about them being folded up. I am speaking of toodling along, going through a mild sweeper & scraping the hell out of these while they are folded down in cruising form. Did you make note of the length of these?... but I do agree about the picture.

I like em, and if I didn't have crash bars on the way I'd ask you to make a set for me.
I currently have pegs mounted from my Aluminum frame wrecking sliders, and that clearly is the best ergonomic place to mount them. Wild bill pegs didn't really help me and only bashed my shins in the fairings...
I too have been using the "slider pegs" and think they are absolutely awesome, as do countless rider's who've seen these in action!

To each his own. If it makes any difference, the workmanship looks wonderful.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. That wasn't how I intended my criticism to come out.

& maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Edited to add: Jay, don't be such a smartass. I wasn't talking about them being folded up. I am speaking of toodling along, going through a mild sweeper & scraping the hell out of these while they are folded down in cruising form. Did you make note of the length of these?... but I do agree about the picture.
No offense taken....When I ask a question, especially on what my mind comes up with, I want honest answers....good on ya....They seem like they will work fine for me and the length is just enough to be able to comfortably get my foot to them. They flip down and out with a simple push from my foot and allow me somewhere to rest my legs on the longer rides. Since they are not held in the down position, I assume if I had the berries to lean that low, they would simply fold up like the regular peg does when they scrape.

I made them since I did not see many offerings for the FJR and because I also like to be unique. I make DIY mods for the Warrior I have and always try to make something that no one else has, but that is the mindset with the Warrior (they are supposed to be customized), in fact, most warriors do not look the same because of this.....

Thanks again for all the feedback and I will still try to get a photo posted with me on the bike and legs on the pegs.

Thanks for the kudos on the workmanship.....

Latest posts