HLD Hugger for the Gen II FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesK

Got to ride
Reaction score
Well it's another Gen II FJR hugger thread.

I was one of the dumbasses who bought the POS FSD hugger a few years back, and basically ended up trashing it...

I'd given up getting one because the GSC carbon huggers were only for the Gen I and really expensive, the Bike-desing.com huggers were also really expensive and now don't even seem to be available anymore.

While browsing eBay I stumbled onto this hugger made by a Greek company (sure would be nice if the 50% haircut Greece is taking on their bonds also applied to their bike parts :rolleyes: )

This hugger is made by a company called HLD - Highest Level Design and Michael, the guy making & selling these seems pretty good. The price is also much more reasonable ($160) than what I've seen so far/in the past. The hugger is made out of ABS plastic not CF, and comes finished in gloss black and is paintable if you want...

I have searched the forum to see if anyone has already purchased/installed/reviewed this hugger, but could not find any reference, so having been burnt on the FSD hugger before I wanted to throw this out there to hear what the collective thinks.

HLD Gen II Hugger on eBay

This product is made of ABS plastic with acrylic coating so they can be placed directly on the motorcycle, but also to be painted easily.
The components placement is all stainless metal and there are always instructions with rich photographic material, for easy installation.

YAMAHAFJR1300REARHUGGER_Page_1.png

YAMAHAFJR1300REARHUGGER_Page_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's another Gen II FJR hugger thread.

I was one of the dumbasses who bought the POS FSD hugger a few years back, and basically ended up trashing it...

I'd given up getting one because the GSC carbon huggers were only for the Gen I and really expensive, the Bike-desing.com huggers were also really expensive and now don't even seem to be available anymore.

While browsing eBay I stumbled onto this hugger made by a Greek company (sure would be nice if the 50% haircut Greece is taking on their bonds also applied to their bike parts :rolleyes: )

This hugger is made by a company called HLD - Highest Level Design and Michael, the guy making & selling these seems pretty good. The price is also much more reasonable ($160) than what I've seen so far/in the past. The hugger is made out of ABS plastic not CF, and comes finished in gloss black and is paintable if you want...

I have searched the forum to see if anyone has already purchased/installed/reviewed this hugger, but could not find any reference, so having been burnt on the FSD hugger before I wanted to throw this out there to hear what the collective thinks.

HLD Gen II Hugger on eBay

This product is made of ABS plastic with acrylic coating so they can be placed directly on the motorcycle, but also to be painted easily.
The components placement is all stainless metal and there are always instructions with rich photographic material, for easy installation.

YAMAHAFJR1300REARHUGGER_Page_1.png

YAMAHAFJR1300REARHUGGER_Page_2.png
I will let you know, I ordered one.

I think it will go a long way to help keep the tail end clean. We will see.

Thanks LAF, and please could you take some more, better pics of the install, I'm still a bit confused looking through the installation sheets I posted, especially the reason for the bracket connecting to the pumpkin. I mean I understand that it's used to mount the hugger to, but looks a bit weird IMHO.

Thanks LAF, and please could you take some more, better pics of the install, I'm still a bit confused looking through the installation sheets I posted, especially the reason for the bracket connecting to the pumpkin. I mean I understand that it's used to mount the hugger to, but looks a bit weird IMHO.
As soon as it is here I will have it on. If it looks any way bad or not a clean install I will send it back. I will post up close ups so you can see for sure.

Got 1 fitted on mine, easy to install, not been out in bad weather so don't know about keeping back end clean at the moment. Hope this pic works {1st attempt}.
FJRHUGGER001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good...but those instructions are Greek to me!

I wonder if you can get the rear wheel off and on with it installed. I have enough trouble with that whale tail of a rear fender!

Got 1 fitted on mine, easy to install, not been out in bad weather so don't know about keeping back end clean at the moment. Hope this pic works {1st attempt}.
FJRHUGGER001.jpg

I have an 09 too and that hugger on your bike looks sweet man. Damn, I thought I was through with farkles for the year!

Got 1 fitted on mine, easy to install, not been out in bad weather so don't know about keeping back end clean at the moment.
yamaharleyrider, that looks nice, thanks for posting. Any chance to post a couple of pics of the mounting setup? I'm still not quite sure how the hugger mounts.

Got 1 fitted on mine, easy to install, not been out in bad weather so don't know about keeping back end clean at the moment.
yamaharleyrider, that looks nice, thanks for posting. Any chance to post a couple of pics of the mounting setup? I'm still not quite sure how the hugger mounts.
James while I have not received mine to me it looks like you remove the axle nut, instal the mounting plate and re torque the rear axle nut. I will post some pics as I go on both mounting points. Now if that slow ship from wherever can get a little more steam up I may see it soon.

James while I have not received mine to me it looks like you remove the axle nut, instal the mounting plate and re torque the rear axle nut. I will post some pics as I go on both mounting points. Now if that slow ship from wherever can get a little more steam up I may see it soon.
Spot on LAF also had to remove one of the rear hangers to slip it between the swing arm and undertray

LAF any updates?
No it has not shown up yet. Not too worried as it is coming from out of the USA and since I have purchased out of USA before, shipping can take some time. It would be nice as it will be 60 here in PA the next 3 days and I could get it on in comfort. It will be 20 and sleeting when it shows up now :)

I will post close ups of the mounts as they come, and on, when it gets here.

I have been slow on this but here it is.

First nice product, very well made, hardware is very nice, and the Hugger fits very nice on the form of the swing arm where it sits.

Took a full 30 days to come and was well packaged in bubble wrap, but the box was well worn and rode hard for sure!

I love it and am pleased with the purchase.

I do need to wait till summer and remove what I can of the existing flap but have just pushed it forward into the shock tower area for now. I have been riding still and have about 700 miles on it and notice nothing out of the ordinary.

I cant say enough how much I like it.

Now some pics:

parts.JPG

rear%20bracket.JPG

on.JPG