Holy Crap my A$$ is killing me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to throw cold water on the Russell DL but it you don't go to the factory and have them fit it to you, you may well be disappointed, and for a lot of money. I have one on my other bike and sent it back to them 2x and they STILL didn't get it right! I finally pulled the cover off and started carving with a serrated knife and it's better, far better, but it STILL tends to push me toward the tank.
Those who haven't been happy with the DL always have that complaint--it pushes you into the tank because the backrest portion is too thick and it angles you forward. It isn't nearly as comfortable as it looks.

But that's just me. Lots of people SWEAR by Corbin seats as well, but I suspect they are built by Corbin's local cement factory. So far, with the FJR, my best luck has been with the Australian sheepskin cover (in gray).
My experience has been different. I've had several seats built by Russell based on their mail in measurement sheets and photos. Every one of these has been absolutely wonderful.

I did a ride in appointment and had them build one "while I waited" once. They let me see it and try it at mid day, and I suggested a few changes, which they dutifully incorporated.

Honestly, I think I was better off without the mid day tweaking, which I thought was going to lead to the perfect set. You can't judge a seat based on a short test ride, and my suggestions for improvements were misguided.

I was better off just sending them the measurements and the photographs, and letting them build the seat in their normal way.

FWIW, Russell has changed hands a couple of times, and so the build quality and skill may vary depending on the current crew doing the work. But overall, I've been pretty satisfied with their products over and over again. I trade bikes quite frequently, but I've had one Russell seat that I've used on several Rocket III Tourings, and it has held up well.

Nevertheless, I do stick by my original observation, which was that at a lower weight, the seat quest becomes less important. This was a surprising lesson for me.
As someone said, it's subjective. If the Russell Day-Long works well for someone, I'm happy for them, and a bit envious. Lots of people love them, and I get that. But mailing in pictures and measurements didn't work for me (they didn't even get the cover right the first time) and I found my weight being pushed forward on to the tank (OWCH!!!
weirdsmiley.gif
) Lots of people love Corbins too, but I don't get how sitting on a slippery slab of concrete works...
sheep.gif

I don't get why MC makers cannot make comfortable seats. I guess Honda and Harley Davidson figured that out.

I am another person that has found a sheepskin seat cover to be good enough. I bought a set of used butt pads, rider and passenger, from an inmate here from Alaska Leather...they are just awesome!

As someone said, it's subjective. If the Russell Day-Long works well for someone, I'm happy for them, and a bit envious. Lots of people love them, and I get that. But mailing in pictures and measurements didn't work for me (they didn't even get the cover right the first time) and I found my weight being pushed forward on to the tank (OWCH!!!
weirdsmiley.gif
) Lots of people love Corbins too, but I don't get how sitting on a slippery slab of concrete works...
sheep.gif

I don't get why MC makers cannot make comfortable seats. I guess Honda and Harley Davidson figured that out.
I've had a few Corbins that I liked a lot, but I did not like the Corbin or Sargent offerings for the FJR. They did not help.

The Russell just looks FUGLY on the FJR. I never liked the look of them.

But when i was seriously large, the Russell was the only seat that would do ... and this was true on several different bikes, not just the FJR.

As you point out, seats are very subjective. It is a big relief that I no longer need to solve this problem and can comfortably live with the stock FJR seat.

OP

If you do a ride in, may I suggest -

You want Mike, the best ass mechanic there.

When you do the mid build ride, report what you feel, not what to change.

You will ride off with an 80-85% perfect seat.

Next season, come back for an adjustment and you will leave with a 95% perfect seat.

-Steve

I had an interesting experience with the Russell seat on my Rocket III Touring tonight.

I've been having some arthritis in my left hand, and it has been difficult to grip things, and that is why I've gone back to an FJR AE the last couple of months.

The Rocket III Touring has been my favorite all time bike, but as this hand issue has evolved, I noticed that the grip angle on my bike was wrong, and although it was just off by maybe 10 degrees or so, it was exacerbating my hand problem. I also speculated that maybe this grip angle issue was the reason that I am always wishing for cruise control on the Rocket. I don't really care about it on the FJR, but my right hand goes to sleep on the Rocket sometimes, and this is aggravating.

I spent the afternoon getting the Rocket ready to take in for a trade evaluation tomorrow. There have been some leftover Kawasaki Concourse 14s and ZX-14 R ABS calling my name lately.

I put the Rocket back to stock. Removed the Russell seat. Removed the tall windshield. Cleaned everything up nice and bright and shiny.

At dinner I got to wondering if the stock seat would change the grip angle, and so after dinnner I went out and sat on the bike. I dropped my hands onto the grips, and the angle was good.

So ... my point is that even though I have been very happy with the Russell seat for the Rocket, this recent issue with arthritis in my left hand has caused me to notice that the Russell changed the grip angle compared to stock, and that this change is one of the many factors that has made riding less feasible without the FJR AE.

I'm going to take the Rocket on a couple hundred mile run tomorrow to see if the change back to the stock seat has earned it a yard pass so that it will get to stay in the barn for another season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to throw cold water on the Russell DL but it you don't go to the factory and have them fit it to you, you may well be disappointed, and for a lot of money. I have one on my other bike and sent it back to them 2x and they STILL didn't get it right! I finally pulled the cover off and started carving with a serrated knife and it's better, far better, but it STILL tends to push me toward the tank.
Those who haven't been happy with the DL always have that complaint--it pushes you into the tank because the backrest portion is too thick and it angles you forward. It isn't nearly as comfortable as it looks.

But that's just me. Lots of people SWEAR by Corbin seats as well, but I suspect they are built by Corbin's local cement factory. So far, with the FJR, my best luck has been with the Australian sheepskin cover (in gray).
I, for one, have the dual heated, leather covered Corbins. Had them on all my FJRs. Always new ones. Total price around $ 900 without the backrest. It's only available for the passenger. They are quite firm and just what you need after 5-6 hours in the saddle. I can go all day with them. My bladder gives out around the time the tank goes dry anyway, so every three to four hours I have to stop anyway. The Corbin quality IMHO, is exemplary. The leather is superb and most importantly you get to keep your stock seat. NOT the case with RDL.

Another quick aside regarding Russell.

When I did the ride in, I was quite surprised that a couple of the guys who work there were riding relatively light weight KTM dual sport bikes.

And they had special Russell seats designed specifically for these thin seated bikes. These seats don't have the full suspension, but they have something that sounded like it was a Belleville type spring to provide some cushioning for the rider.

I had a couple of BMW dual sport bikes, and I had Sargent custom make seats for me on the stock seat pans, but these Russell options looked to me like they would work better.

I, for one, have the dual heated, leather covered Corbins. Had them on all my FJRs. Always new ones. Total price around $ 900 without the backrest. It's only available for the passenger. They are quite firm and just what you need after 5-6 hours in the saddle. I can go all day with them. My bladder gives out around the time the tank goes dry anyway, so every three to four hours I have to stop anyway. The Corbin quality IMHO, is exemplary. The leather is superb and most importantly you get to keep your stock seat. NOT the case with RDL.
Yeah, Corbin says it takes 1000-1500 miles to break in. I took it down to the Dragon and back, 800 miles each way. And I was miserable on that seat the entire time. I was miserable after, miserable until pulled it off, never to grace my bike again. Rocks don't break in. I did smile about it--the day I sold it! (Kind of like the two happiest days in a boat-owner's life--the day he buys it and the day he sells it!)

But....if the Corbins suit you, all power to you and them!

Yeah, Corbin says it takes 1000-1500 miles to break in. I took it down to the Dragon and back, 800 miles each way. And I was miserable on that seat the entire time. I was miserable after, miserable until pulled it off, never to grace my bike again. Rocks don't break in. I did smile about it--the day I sold it! (Kind of like the two happiest days in a boat-owner's life--the day he buys it and the day he sells it!)
I had two really comfortable Corbins over the years. One was on an ST1100 ... that was my introduction to the idea that an aftermarket seat could really improve the comfort of a bike. The other was on a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. That seat was incredibly comfortable.

I had Corbins for things like Rocket III, R1200GS, FJR, and maybe a few others.... and I didn't like any of them. When it come to seats, there are no guarantees.

Well, I believe you are quite correct. I have a RDL dual heat with two different back rests on my K1600 and I am extremely happy with it. Definitely an all day chair. But that is a totally different application., Corbin also makes a seat for the K bike, but I would not consider it because the chassis and the suspension on that bike is nothing like the FJR. They may, at least in my case, be both electronic, but the BMW chassis is light years ahead of the FJR. The Beemer will cruise happily all day long at 125mph, the FJR not so much. There are differences in touring and sport touring. I have ridden Sergeant on a Connie I used to own and found it no different than the Corbin, but it cost far less money and at the time they did not offer a heated version. So it REALLY is pretty much to each his own...

Those fricken' Russell seats. Man, are they ugly.

And you know... they cost a lot too, especially if you get the leather, or need to get the "dual" option for your co-pilot.

Did you ever wonder why people would ever spend so much of their hard earned money for such a butt ugly seat?
unsure.png

I don't (anymore). I just keep buying them, and thoroughly enjoying all of my time on my motorcycles, all day long without stopping, multiple days in a row while on vacation, without giving a second thought to MY seat comfort.

Some things are just worth paying top dollar for.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't see they are ugly when sitting on them going down the road. If you are a guy that likes to ride to bike night and talk about riding... don't buy a Russell. If you want to ride, ride, ride, ride and keep riding. You won't care what it looks like at the local burger joint.

The Corbins are great on the ST11, DL's and my old Magna V65, but not so much on other bikes. The Magna one actually has padding...... If I have another, I'll put some more padding in, doesn't seem that hard to do. Corbin might do it if you ask.

Well, I believe you are quite correct. I have a RDL dual heat with two different back rests on my K1600 and I am extremely happy with it. Definitely an all day chair. But that is a totally different application., Corbin also makes a seat for the K bike, but I would not consider it because the chassis and the suspension on that bike is nothing like the FJR. They may, at least in my case, be both electronic, but the BMW chassis is light years ahead of the FJR. The Beemer will cruise happily all day long at 125mph, the FJR not so much. There are differences in touring and sport touring. I have ridden Sergeant on a Connie I used to own and found it no different than the Corbin, but it cost far less money and at the time they did not offer a heated version. So it REALLY is pretty much to each his own...
I put a Wilbers remote reservoir shock on the FJR years ago during one of the group buys and never looked back.

Just wondering: Where can you ride all day long at 125mph in the US or Canada????

Had my '07 stock seat re-done at Spencer's Seat Mods. Inexpensive. Good improvement in longer ride comfort.

The '13 has the Laam (pilot only since I ride almost all solo) that was re-built based on my big & tall height/weight, my riding style, etc. After a few hundred miles of break-in, it's a keeper. I'm still using an Alaskan sheepskin pad like with previous bikes.

RDL. Mine was mail order. Best seat I've ever had and the only one that makes me never think about my butt. If you can wait until around Christmas, they may have a special going on. I think I saved 20% last Christmas on mine. Keep checking their website.

Last I heard, Russell no longer runs any "Group Buys" as it was too time consuming for them to keep track of them all. They now just have discounts of the same approximate amount in their slower winter months for anyone that orders then.