Holy Crap my A$$ is killing me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I heard, Russell no longer runs any "Group Buys" as it was too time consuming for them to keep track of them all. They now just have discounts of the same approximate amount in their slower winter months for anyone that orders then.
Thanks Fred

Well, that kinda blows..Let's see if they respond to my email with the same info. An here I was getting all excited. ....
sadsmiley.gif

Why does it blow? You'll still get the same discount and don't have to wait for the Group Buy to be organized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frederick my boy:

This is why it blows!

From Kim at RDL:

Hello,
I am sorry, but we no longer offer group buys and unfortunately this year, we will not even be having any sales.
Thank you, Kim

Yes, that does blow. Sorry.

I wonder how many folks will be pushed over the edge to go with something less expensive now, like a Laam

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up with a Russell day long "sport seat". When I first got my Russell seat back it was far taller than stock. So much so that I was on my tip toes. I sent it back and they changed it to their sport seat. Customer service was VERY good. The sport seat is the save height as the stocker. I logged several 500 mile days on the seat over last summer. The seat is worth every penny. The RDL made those miles go by fast with NO butt burn. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy riding the bike with the seat.

I ended up with a Russell day long "sport seat". When I first got my Russell seat back it was far taller than stock. So much so that I was on my tip toes. I sent it back and they changed it to their sport seat. Customer service was VERY good. The sport seat is the save height as the stocker. I logged several 500 mile days on the seat over last summer. The seat is worth every penny. The RDL made those miles go by fast with NO butt burn. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy riding the bike with the seat.
That's the seat I saw on the employee bikes when I was out there for my ride in appointment. I'd never seen one in person before, but they had them installed on some KTM dual sport type bikes, and they looked pretty good.

Back when "Bill" was the custom seat guy at Sargent (before the recession), I had him build me a custom seat for a BMW dual sport bike, and it was great. But the Russell looked like it took it to another level.

I found a member. Actually he found me and offered his RDL as he was defarkling his 2003. For about 1/2 the price of new he sold me his RDL front seat and his reupholstered read seat to match. The difference is NIGHT and DAY.

I tried a lot of the semi custom solutions, reworking the stock seat. If I would have saved the $$$ on cheap work arounds I would have about paid for a good used seat from one of the guys on here. If you are having a hard time swallowing the cost of a NEW RDL, post an ad. I had 2 offer me theirs for 1/2 price within a day or two.

So in short. You RDL guys were right. Love Love Love the seat.

Had a Rick Mayer, horrible experience all the way around.

1 Rocky Mayer, smooth transaction, done on time and pretty good.

I am now patiently waiting on my 10th Russell. Head and shoulders above the the others. I won't even try another. I used to be your size and the Russell really is a 1,000 mile a day seat.

Also If you just send them the front to be done in vinyl and leave the rear at home with the oem cover the base price is $395 and you will save a bit of shipping both ways. Might save you close to $100 if you don't care about the match of the vinyl being perfect.

Just curious. I have had a RDL, and found it bothersome when back road carving. Great for Highway, buit that isn't why I bought a aport touring bike. We got a Sergeant. My wife and I can ride 2 up for 800 miles, no issues. No one else finds the RDL an issue when playing at dragging parts?

Just curious. I have had a RDL, and found it bothersome when back road carving. Great for Highway, buit that isn't why I bought a aport touring bike. We got a Sergeant. My wife and I can ride 2 up for 800 miles, no issues. No one else finds the RDL an issue when playing at dragging parts?
Never had an issue at all with the RDL I used to have.

I got my 2005 new through the old PDP program (remember that?), and the stock seat was not good. Anything more than 250 miles per day was uncomfortable.

I traded up to a custom-built, ride-in Bill Mayer seat, and it gave me 650 miles of comfort per day -- a huge improvement.

It wasn't until I added a beaded seat cover to the mix that I truly got all-day comfort.

Seats are very subjective, so what works for me won't necessarily work for you, but it's something to consider.