How about a small tank bag that really doesn't scratch your tank.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifeuturn

Reaction score
I'd like a very small tank bag for the little items (sun glasses, cell phone, camera, etc.), but my concern is that it may scratch my tank.

Personal experiences with small tank bags that truly do not scratch.

Better YET, check out this cool little Tail Pack!! It will never scratch ANYTHING! I was unable to find the precise unit that I bought for the Feejer - but this is VERY close to what you might like to find...

Picked one up on eBay for about $50 plus Shipping... If I had two bikes- I'd own two of them... Great Idea, Well-Executed, Good Fit, Great Size...

BTW, I run with a large Tank Bag an awful lot, and have been delighted with my Tank Bra and Tank Top from Mag-Knight out of Snohomish, WA. Not Bargain Basement in either Price or Class of Product - I LOVE mine!!

Maybe you have a Pillion and this little puppy won't work for ya... I don't have that restriction anymore. Conversely, it closes down to be a functional, nicely-textured and padded Pillion Seat (even though they must disclaim it for this use) If not - I'd recommend it VERY highly!! It's just "right-sized" both aesthetically and volume wise...

Cheers,

Scott

In my experience, it isn't the tank bag that scratches the paint. The couple I have are made with a soft, rubberized base into which the magnets are sewn.

It is the grit on the tank itself, or perhaps carelessness in letting the bottom of the tank bag get contaminated with dirt/swarf that causes the problem.

I never lay the tank bag down on a surface without first wiping it off to prevent the grit problem, and always wipe off the tank itself before installing the bag.

To date, both my old Kwaka and the FJR tanks are completely scratch-free. (Crap, I probably just jinxed myself!)

I'll second dsmack on the paint/bag subject...

Mine has been a little over 10K with nary a mark. It does boil down to keeping the both sides of the interface meticulously clean! EVERY RIDE!

Scott

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I have a Givi so the tail bag isn't an option.

It would be nice to have a small bag just for the small things you have to access routinely.

I'm one of those that are anal about small scratches, but also like functionality.

I have a Garmin off a short stem mount so I don't want to block it.

I'm not asking for much?

I have the Dowco 50106-00 Rally pack value series and I have had no scratching issues and it has been on and off a lot. It has enough room for my cell , keys, pair of extra sunglasses, tire pressure gauge, alarm sys. dongle. I notice that the newer models have changed just a little so be careful. I like the model I have because the area facing me is tapered so I don't notice it when I lean in and have had no issue on steering. My first on was too big and you don't want that.

Ebay has several (even some with free shipping) that are reasonably priced and there are some on Motorcycle superstore....good hunting.....Rob

I'd like a very small tank bag for the little items (sun glasses, cell phone, camera, etc.), but my concern is that it may scratch my tank.Personal experiences with small tank bags that truly do not scratch.
I'm quite happy w/ my SW motech bag. Here's a tutorial on installation: Click

Craig

I'd like a very small tank bag for the little items (sun glasses, cell phone, camera, etc.), but my concern is that it may scratch my tank.Personal experiences with small tank bags that truly do not scratch.
my wie and i both use the yamaha sport tank bag

perfect for glasses map ipod camera wallet keys and all the other small items

plus its easy to get at this stuff while riding

no scratches on the tank yet and the magnets are powerfull enough to hold it on tight

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/detail...;item=3348&

it doubles as an attractive little man purse when you get off the bike to

not to sure if its available in the us or not though

Thanks for the information on Mag Knight. I promptly ordered a Tank Bra for my 2010 FJR in any color I wanted as long as it was Silver. I have been looking and looking for a solution that would not break the color or lines of the gas tank. I was all but sold on clear film until your post. I did not want a film solution so this is great and timely information for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Better YET, check out this cool little Tail Pack!! It will never scratch ANYTHING! I was unable to find the precise unit that I bought for the Feejer - but this is VERY close to what you might like to find...
Picked one up on eBay for about $50 plus Shipping... If I had two bikes- I'd own two of them... Great Idea, Well-Executed, Good Fit, Great Size...

BTW, I run with a large Tank Bag an awful lot, and have been delighted with my Tank Bra and Tank Top from Mag-Knight out of Snohomish, WA. Not Bargain Basement in either Price or Class of Product - I LOVE mine!!

Maybe you have a Pillion and this little puppy won't work for ya... I don't have that restriction anymore. Conversely, it closes down to be a functional, nicely-textured and padded Pillion Seat (even though they must disclaim it for this use) If not - I'd recommend it VERY highly!! It's just "right-sized" both aesthetically and volume wise...

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks for the information on Mag Knight. I promptly ordered a Tank Bra for my 2010 FJR in any color I wanted as long as it was Silver. I have been looking and looking for a solution that would not break the color or lines of the gas tank. I was all but sold on clear film until your post. I did not want a film solution so this is great and timely information for me.Thanks for sharing.
Two Thumbs up Mate!!

I think that you'll love it!

Mine took a couple days to "train" the outboard edges of the Topper and the inboard curves on the way to the left/right of the tank. No worries though! It just took a couple nights with some masking tape to do that!!

ENJOY!!

Scott

I have the Joe Rocket Manta XL and really like it. It also comes in a smaller version (NOT XL). It is magnetic, I'm just careful to clean the tank and tank bag before putting it on.

It's not the magnet, it's the grit on the bag that ruins the paint. Mine has a pouch for a cell phone, pouch for an MP3 player and storage for other general items.