How do you know if the mileage on your bike is true???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can give a yamaha dealer the vin and have them look any recalls that were done. There was not a recall on the speedos that I remeber but I could be wrong. I have a Gen II so the speedo recall might have been for gen I bikes.
As usual, talking out your ass and knowing nothing of which you spew. :fuck:
Skooter knows J80's pretty well. :D

Yes, there was a recall to replace the gauges because of an issue with the instant mpg readings that wouldn;t go better than 17 - it covered about 3/4 of all of the '06 Gen-II's in the US.

Others have commented that there was a procedure where a sticker was to be put in the glove box and in the owners' manual and the Hardley dealer should do his research and NOT list any mileage dioscrepancy, because the is no discrepancy - the mileage is a known qantity.

But look, YOU know what the mileage is, so what do you care what the title says? But you CAN use it as an excuse to drop your offer by $2500 or so because of the 'discrepancy'. YOU know there isn't a discrepancy and once you put 30,000 or 40,000 more miles on it the 12K won't make a difference.

Besides, you can simply explain to the next buyer what the story is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, you don't know. I've had two mileage 'resets'.One being the 17 mpg instantaneous reading recall, and a stupid sticker was placed inside the glove box lid.

Then I had a deer strike - and guess what was damaged, the stupid sticker / glove box.

MassDamage.jpg

..and, like SkooterG sez, buy a new inst cluster, presto whamo..

BTW, my 06 is only showing 28k or so, wanna buy it? :eek:
Uhhhh, errrrr, is that what it looks like now? How bout a carton of smokes, and we'll call it even.

Look, YOU know what the mileage is, so what do you care what the title says?
But you CAN use it as an excuse to drop your offer by $2500 or so because of the 'discrepancy'.

YOU know there isn't a discrepancy and once you put 30,000 or 40,000 miles on it the 12K won;t make a difference.

I'm worried about what the title says for resale reasons. When I do get ready to sell it in 2-3 years, the title will say "mileage discrepancy". That alone will be enough to scare off a lot of customers.

So, if you save $2500 up front it won't be adequate compensation for what might (or might not) happen at the other end?

Look, YOU know what the mileage is, so what do you care what the title says?
But you CAN use it as an excuse to drop your offer by $2500 or so because of the 'discrepancy'.

YOU know there isn't a discrepancy and once you put 30,000 or 40,000 miles on it the 12K won;t make a difference.

I'm worried about what the title says for resale reasons. When I do get ready to sell it in 2-3 years, the title will say "mileage discrepancy". That alone will be enough to scare off a lot of customers.
Let me get this straight, you are planning on keeping this bike for 2-3 years, and the mileage discrepancy is around 12k. As you'll find out once you own an FJR that 12k is very easy to put on this bike :) So you'll likely have the mileage in sync well before you're planning to sell this bike. Once the mileage on the title is over that shown on the ODO all you'll need to do to explain the "discrepancy" is tell the buyer that these bikes had a recall done on the instrument cluster. I'm guessing but i'd say that Yamaha should have records based on each VIN of the original mileage before the swap out. You could try to check with the HD dealer or Yamaha to see if you can get a copy of this record from them, then you're totally covered.

1) Get a smoking deal.

2) Then bookmark this thread for documentation purposes when you sell the bike in a few years. Youur verbal story will match this thread.

If I was a future buyer, I'd believe your mileage story more than some wierdo named Don in CA that can't even keep his lights on riding down his own driveway. :D

I think you can give a yamaha dealer the vin and have them look any recalls that were done. There was not a recall on the speedos that I remeber but I could be wrong. I have a Gen II so the speedo recall might have been for gen I bikes.
the recall was for the mpg estimator. to fix it they replaced the instrument cluster (which includes the odo). since gen 1 bikes didn't have the mpg function, it was limited to gen 2 bikes of a certain vintage.

if the bikes in very good shape and has highly detailed maint records (like a folder and not just the notes in the owners manual and associated card) then make the deal for HIGH MILEAGE (to them... hell their HD dealers) of the 24+12 that their title will leave you with. push for a big price break because of all the trouble you'll have at resale (as far as they know and you don't let on otherwise). the original owner must have hated it so much they didn't even stick with Yamaha on their next bike. that may say something about how they cared for it.

Honestly, you don't know. I've had two mileage 'resets'.One being the 17 mpg instantaneous reading recall, and a stupid sticker was placed inside the glove box lid.

Then I had a deer strike - and guess what was damaged, the stupid sticker / glove box.

MassDamage.jpg

The human equivalent of that wrecked bike??

motorcycle-accident-gross.jpg

Why is everyone so hot for this guy to buy a bike with title documentation issues? If they intend on putting an incorrect mileage (high by 12k) and an annotation that the true mileage is unknown, that will stay with the bike forever.

The price that they are asking for it is not all that special for a 2006 of basically unknown status. There are a lot of FJR's for sale of equal or better condition that don't have messed up titles.

Yeah, you intend on keeping it for at least 3-4 years. But what if your situation changes and you need to unload it? THat title is going to be a bigger problem for you than it is for Hardley dealership (who apparently failed math).

My comments were with the intent of having the HD dealer seriously drop the price, otherwise why bother with this particular bike. And hey, if this FJR was traded to an HD dealer you know it was not thrashed, since most HD types are just happy to stay upright :devilsmiley:

The human equivalent of that wrecked bike??
Damn, that poor SOB looks like the alien in the Alien movies.

They should have this kind of picture up at the DMV to show all the "helmets are not cool" numbnuts why ATGATT is the only way to go.

Tell him since there is an ODO discrepancy that this bike is now in effect unsalable. Offer him 3000 to "Get this boat anchor off the lot" and see if he bites. Fred W is correct, once you tick off Mileage discrepancy it stays with the bike for life, but if you get it for an insanely cheap price, you can still sell it in 3-4 years and probably get most of what you paid out of it even WITH the messed up mileage on the title..

Just my .0.2

My comments were with the intent of having the HD dealer seriously drop the price, otherwise why bother with this particular bike.
+1

i also like the $3k idea. work them like they're trying to work you. their usual clients won't even consider taking off their hands, so it's an albatross to them and costing them taxes, storage space, and other fees just to keep it around.

Ok, I talked to them this morning, and they said they found the Yamaha sticker that has the mileage when the gauges were replaced. So the title will now say 25,100 on it. Which is the actuall mileage. They're still unclear if they have to mark it as "mileage discrepancy" or if they just mark it as 25,100 miles. There offer is 6800 OTD. Which breaks down to 6300 + TTL. If I can get a clear title with 25,100 on it, should I go for it?

I already low balled them with 6000 OTD, and they came back with 6800. He said that's their break even point on this bike. Which I doubt.

Discuss, Lucas

Go back and point out the following to them

1) Their normal clientele are not going to want an FJR

2) they are incurring costs for having the bike there (Opportunity costs)

3) Even if they can mark the title correctly, there is always going to be a discrepancy question which will make the bike harder to sell

So I'd say the following..

"If you are willing to mark the tile as not a discrepancy but with the correct 25k milesge on it, I'll give you 5k cash right now!) When they hem and haw saying they need 6800 to break evein, say "Well you can try, but I'm here with cash now...." they may counter, but expect to settle somewhere between 5500 and 6k, if they won't budge on the 6800 walk away and come back in a month when the bike is still sucking up floor space in the dealer :)

What he said. Have the ability to walk away and watch them come running to you. BTW, this works with wimmen as well..

Squeeze em for all you can!!! We are in a down economy, motorcycle sales are down 40% and dealers are hungry for people with cash!! He is going to probably hem and haw about it, but I'm suspecting that he will negotiate... May need to speak to dealership general mgr...

But as dcarver so aptly said, "Have the ability to walk away and watch them come running to you"