How do you know if the mileage on your bike is true???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have options. They have a bike with issues they were not aware of when they took it on trade. What "they" need to break even is not your concern.

Split the two prices with them "IF" your comfortable and really want that bike(Including TTL).

Hey Harley Bob, Just wanted to touch base to see if I could convince you sell me the bike for $$$$. That's the highest I'm willing to go. If not, no sweat, thanks for your honesty. I'm off to stealership B to look at some other FJR's... No rush, call me back if you can let it go for $$$$ out the door.

My guess, at the worst, you will get another counter. Excepting or declining that offer is up to you.

I think you can give a yamaha dealer the vin and have them look any recalls that were done. There was not a recall on the speedos that I remeber but I could be wrong. I have a Gen II so the speedo recall might have been for gen I bikes.
As usual, talking out your ass and knowing nothing of which you spew.

:fuck:

As for the original topic, 06 speedo replacements notwithstanding, one could take a low mile gauge cluster off one FJR, and put it on another high mileage bike and *PRESTO*, it's newish again!

In fact, I don't have over 200k on my 04 FJR! It's only got 23,464 miles. Really. And I'll sell it to you for cheap!
anyone can buy a used speedo with less miles and install it.

You can bet they made lots of money on the "front end" of the deal, not to mention the profit they made on any stuff most Harley buyers add on before the bike even leaves the showroom. Even if they have to "take a loss" on the trade-in (FJR) they should be happy just to get rid of it. You can bet they allowed heavily for any expected difficulty they might encounter selling the FJR and that would be reflected in the trade in allowance. Low-ball 'em and if they don't budge, walk away and look elsewhere. Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from them in short order with another counter offer.

If that particular bike puts a "twinkle" in your eye then I agree with the general concensus here. The whole mileage issue, even if the "discrepencie" isn't on the title, will be there no matter what. Use that to your advantage to low ball them. I would say if you can't get it for $6K or less OTD then go for the one that had 1500 miles on it or keep looking. I bought my '07 last year and it had on 1246 miles on it (>17k now :D ) . I had to drive to Philadelphis to get it, but it was worth it. And 24K is nothing on the bike if it was maintained.

There are a lot of low mileage, couple of year old bikes on the market. People buy them as toys and then find out they really don't like motorcycling all that much...

I think you can give a yamaha dealer the vin and have them look any recalls that were done. There was not a recall on the speedos that I remeber but I could be wrong. I have a Gen II so the speedo recall might have been for gen I bikes.
As usual, talking out your ass and knowing nothing of which you spew.

:fuck:

As for the original topic, 06 speedo replacements notwithstanding, one could take a low mile gauge cluster off one FJR, and put it on another high mileage bike and *PRESTO*, it's newish again!

In fact, I don't have over 200k on my 04 FJR! It's only got 23,464 miles. Really. And I'll sell it to you for cheap!
anyone can buy a used speedo with less miles and install it.
Uhhhh.....that was my point.

Cliffs notes - Harley was dicking me around, I was still hanging on for some reason. A killer deal falls right in my lap on an 07. I tell harley to shove it, and come home last night with a mint 07.

Well, who believes in fate? Yesterday I was haggling with Harley on the 2006 FJR with 25,100 miles, and a top case. This bike was in great shape except for a few scratches on the right mirror, and a small dent in the right muffler. As you know, there was some title issues because of the mileage discrepancy. So I offered them 6000 OTD for the bike, and we were still unsure about the title. They told me the best they could do was 6800 OTD, and that was their break even point. I told them I might be interested depending on whether the title would have the "mileage discrepancy" on it. I said if you can work around that, I'd be interested. He said, let me see what we can do, and I'll call you back later this afternoon.

Well, they originally had the bike listed on ebay and craigslist. However, once I pointed out the mileage issues, they removed both ads. So I'm sitting around waiting for them to call me back, and it's about 3:15pm. I decide to check craigslist and see if they had relisted the ad yet. Low and behold I see a new ad!!!

2007 FJR1300 - $6500.00

What??? It is now 3:17pm. The ad was listed at 3:02pm. I call the guy, and this is our conversation.

Me - Is there anything wrong with it?

Him - No, nothing. Perfect.

Me - How many miles, and do you have a clean title in your hand?

Him - 16,175 miles, yes I have a clean title and I'm the original owner. The title has my name with 1 mile on the title.

Me - So there's nothing, wrong? No scratches, dents dings? Nothing to hide?

Him - Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Me - Any mods?

Him - A yamaha top case, YES warranty.

Me - Where do you live?

Him - BFE, 3 hours away.

Me - What would you say if I told you I'd bring you 6000 cash right now and pick it up.

Him - Come and get it.

Ring, Ring, (phone)

Me - Could you hold for a sec, my cell is ringing.

Him - Ok

Me - Hello?

Harley - Hey Lucas, it's Brent and Cowboy Harley!!!! Great news, we can get that title completely clear and clean, and it will show the actual mileage of 25,100 miles.

Me - Brent, let me stop you for a sec. I'm on the phone with a gentleman that has a 2007 with 16000 miles in mint condition, and I'm about to leave to go get it for 6000 cash. So unless you can come up with something really great.....

Harley - Dude, go get it. I can't even come close to that.

Me - Alright, thanks for your time.

Me - Mr .......... I'll be there in about 3 hours.

Him - I'll be waiting.

Well, I came home with an 07 with 16,175 on the clock. It is mint. Not a single scratch. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Rode her to work today. Opened the top case, and there's even a brand new FSM still wrapped in the plastic inside, some yamalube, and a filter.

I'm happier than a hog in slop right now. Who says good things don't happen to good people?

I'll post pictures in the next few days.

Lucas

No shit!! Congratulations on an absolutely awesome deal on an awesome bike. :yahoo:

Personally, I'm a big fan of the black cherry color. :thumbsup:

Damn. How come I can never find these kinds'a deals... :angry:

To answer another of your questions, 25,000 miles on an extremely well cared for, or even well cared for, FJR isn't much. There are several running around with over 200,000 and no major failures. Mine has 57,000 and no problems except a bad fork seal. It sounds like the previous owner of this one did his maintenance by the book. Maybe the dealer would give you his (her) name and you could speak with them. I wouldn't fear 25,000 if regular service was documented. In addition, you are now in a very strong bargaining position with this dealer.
4335469090_61a7f9ee3c.jpg

To answer another of your questions, 25,000 miles on an extremely well cared for, or even well cared for, FJR isn't much. There are several running around with over 200,000 and no major failures. Mine has 57,000 and no problems except a bad fork seal. It sounds like the previous owner of this one did his maintenance by the book. Maybe the dealer would give you his (her) name and you could speak with them. I wouldn't fear 25,000 if regular service was documented. In addition, you are now in a very strong bargaining position with this dealer.
Damn, Mike, I know yer an ol' fart, but what the hell did you take that wonderful, high res picture with? A wedding gift, maybe?

antique_19th_century_cameras.jpg

Damn, that poor SOB looks like the alien in the Alien movies.They should have this kind of picture up at the DMV to show all the "helmets are not cool" numbnuts why ATGATT is the only way to go.
I dunno, I'm thinkin new avatar! :dribble:
b4vz9v.jpg

This one's not too shabby, but only if it's real.

https://i50.tinypic.com/ht7l2b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Mike, I know yer an ol' fart, but what the hell did you take that wonderful, high res picture with? A wedding gift, maybe?

antique_19th_century_cameras.jpg
4ace55b46a4cd_62269n.jpg

no really...IPhone...in the rain...just after sunrise...on the side of the interstate...with truck after truck going by...barely past a 10 mile causeway across Lake Ponchartrain...at the end of a 6 hour ride...that started at 0230

what's it to ya Manatee breath... :dribble:

I got a wedding gift for ya rat cheer... :angry2:

<hehehehehe> :yahoo:

Well, I came home with an 07 with 16,175 on the clock. It is mint. Not a single scratch. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Rode her to work today. Opened the top case, and there's even a brand new FSM still wrapped in the plastic inside, some yamalube, and a filter.
I'm happier than a hog in slop right now. Who says good things don't happen to good people?

Lucas
Congrats. Outstanding price for an '07. Where were these deals when I was looking last year?

Lucas
Congrats. Outstanding price for an '07. Where were these deals when I was looking last year?
The economy really sucks right now, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Congrats on the smoking deal, I'm a big believer of "if it's meant to be it's meant to be" Now go out and ride the hell out of that sucker :)

My 07 only has 4500 miles on it and I am the original owner. And Dcarver, it looks like more then just the Glove Box door was damaged.

I went to a local dealer today to look at a 2006 fjr1300. It was listed as having 12,264 miles. The bike looked great, and I thought we were going to make a deal until I started going through the service records. I asked the salesman if the bike had the ignition, or altitude recalls done, and he said he didn't know. He then told me the manual was in the side case, and we could look. He had not looked at it yet himself. Anyways, we start going through the records which were very meticulous. I get to the service card, and it had services performed up to 24,000 miles. That's odd??? Well, it turns out the speedometer was replaced under recall at 12,800 miles. So the bike actually had 25,064 miles on it. The saleman was a little embarassed to say the least. I told him I was very dissapointed, and I'd have to think about it.
So I'm looking on craigslist right now, and I run accross this:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1574919659.html

1500 miles on a touring bike??? It just doesn't seem right. Is it possible that this bike had the speedo replaced also? And if so, how can I tell. Can I run the VIN through yamaha somehow to get the recall records??? Also, what years did this recall cover?

Thanks, Lucas
it's easy to swap out a speedo. if you doubt, walk away