How do you remove the fuel tank?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potential

Reaction score
I'm trying to install helibars and they recommend removing the fuel tank, but their instructions forgot to mention the two fuel hoses on the left side that have to be disconnected. The service manual mentions them but I can't get them to disconnect. I removed the wire clamps around them but still cannot get the hose to budge. What am I doing wrong?

It's a Californian Gen-II.

You could always do THIS.

Seriously, I've had mine off 3 or 4 times and the secret is NOT to pull on the hoses, but to use a small hook to slide under the ends (on the nipple) and loosen them so they will pull off. If you simply pull on the hoses it will actually tighten them on the nipple, so you need to pull them from the top edge.

I was able to install my Helibars without removing the fuel tank; I didn't even loosen it. Also, cut that thick wire guide/restraint early in the process and it'll make things easier. I think it took me about an hour or so for the install.

I'm trying to install helibars and they recommend removing the fuel tank, but their instructions forgot to mention the two fuel hoses on the left side that have to be disconnected. The service manual mentions them but I can't get them to disconnect. I removed the wire clamps around them but still cannot get the hose to budge. What am I doing wrong?
It's a Californian Gen-II.
I took my tank off, to change the plugs, i have an 07, i had to get the whole plastic fittings apart. there should be something on the fitting that you press and while pressing pull out the fittings. i think its some kind of shutoff,because i didnt leak any gas out of the tank. and one hose is the overflo hose. it didnt take me to long to figure it out. just take another look. i figured it out without the manual. Will have to do again when i get my relay from bodie. :clapping: Dean

I don't have a Gen II, but the Gen I has a couple of wires to unplug and two hoses attached with quick disconnects under a clip on cover. The Gen II will only have one fuel hose as I recall. (No return line from the fuel rail) The two hoses on the left side are vent lines and should come loose once the wire clips are moved. They get stuck on the hose barbs sometimes and you may need to use a pair of pliers to gently grab and twist until they break loose and rotate. Then just pull with your hand and they should come off.

Also, you don't really need to remove the tank to install the risers. Just put a towel over the tank so you don't scratch it up.

This might help: Link

If you don't remove the gas tank, how could you disconnect the white and red wires way in the back? The instructions say to disconnect them. I assume they're for the ignition.

If you don't remove the gas tank, how could you disconnect the white and red wires way in the back? The instructions say to disconnect them. I assume they're for the ignition.

Don't trust me too far on this, but I don't remember having to disconnect any wires. Just skip that part of the directions involving removing the tank and I think it'll start to make sense to you. Like I said, cut that thick wire restraint fairly early in the process because it's not needed and it'll go easier.

Oh, I misread the instructions - the red and white connectors are actually at the front. I guess I can either ignore them and hope it's fine, or simply prop the tank up to try to get at them.

...or simply prop the tank up to try to get at them.
Tank prop-age is the way to go! That worked well for me. You disconnect the ignition wires

for the purpose of being able to take the TT off the bike and to the workbench or drill press

for drilling out the security bolts that hold the ignition in the TT. If you have the slack in

the wiring loom and feel O.K. about drilling on the bike, you wouldn't even have to disconnect

those wires. I remember the white connector giving me hell to get apart. Other than that it was

a smooth operation.

Ah, you're not installing just risers, you're installing the Heli Triple Tree. That makes a big difference in disassembly. Just prop the tank up and go for it. Watch that you don't apply too much tension to the wires attached to the tank.

Ah, you're not installing just risers, you're installing the Heli Triple Tree. That makes a big difference in disassembly. Just prop the tank up and go for it. Watch that you don't apply too much tension to the wires attached to the tank.
Well yeah, technically I'm not installing risers at all, just the new triple tee that pushes the handlebars back 1 3/4". I decided to be gutsy / lazy and attempt to drill out the bolt heads without disconnecting the ignition wires, meaning I'm doing the drilling with a hand drill on the bike. I got one bolt head off already; the other one's a pain but I'm hacking away using a combination of the drill and a dremel cutting wheel. (I drilled off-center so then I sliced off some portions of the head.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done all manner of maintenance and farkles under the tank of my FJR and never once removed it. I just prop it up and disconnect the electrical connections to allow it to angle way back, then stick a prop stick under there. Or you could tie it back to the luggage rack if you prefer.

I was able to install my Helibars without removing the fuel tank; I didn't even loosen it. Also, cut that thick wire guide/restraint early in the process and it'll make things easier. I think it took me about an hour or so for the install.
Just took my tank off last weekend to change plugs & install "Brodie" relay. I just disconnected the fuel line that goes into the rail. Pull the orange clip back and press the grey tabs on each side of connector and pull er off. Really easy. I prefer to remove tank so I have plenty of room to poke around rather than just raising up for access. Some of the connectors on these bikes are a mystery if you have never done it before!

Ron

Just took my tank off last weekend to change plugs & install "Brodie" relay. I just disconnected the fuel line that goes into the rail. Pull the orange clip back and press the grey tabs on each side of connector and pull er off. Really easy. I prefer to remove tank so I have plenty of room to poke around rather than just raising up for access. Some of the connectors on these bikes are a mystery if you have never done it before!
That part was indeed really easy but that's not enough to release the fuel lines from the tank, at least not on a 2008. The fuel line is still attached to the tank on the left side (when facing forward).