How old is you 'Stitch/Other gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Gear "Solo" one piece suit, production date 1997, wore it today on my late afternoon ride. Velcro and zippers are still good, armor is typical mid '90s (padding). I've owned several one piece suits; this one is the easiest to get in and out of.

I bought my blue one-piece Stich in 2004, over 100,000 miles on it. I've had the front velcro replaced a few years back. Other than looking a bit worn, still very functional. I get the odd comment about it from time to time about it being ugly I could not ask for a better all around suit.

100_1175.jpg

Canadian FJR

My stich is less than 8 years old. But it's got well over 100,000 miles on it and has survived 2 bike totaling accidents. Have replaced the pads, some velcro, and had some repair work after the last accident, but still a functional piece of gear I expect to use for many more years.

I've got a "Kilamanjaro" jacket I been running since 2003, I just like the look and fit. The new ones...not so much. They say to replace every five years because the stiching will breakdown in sunlight and it will tear off of the user during an on pavement/gravel experience, anyone with any experience of a failure due to extended use?

Interesting comments so far, thanks guys! I'm just surprised nobody's listed Cycleport gear (unless I missed it). I always thought they were pretty much the alternative to a 'Stitch as far as durability goes.

Other than shoes/boots, I can't think of anything that would still fit me 16 years later :blink:

I have withdrawn from the jacket of the year club. Currently have 4 years on some Olympia gear that is holding up well. I do have a one piece Fieldsheer that's 6 or 7 years old but I only wear it in early early spring and late late fall.

Someday when I grow up I'll get a stitch.

It's certainly up there in the best 'value' once you average it out.

Got my RC in 2003 maybe about 220,000 miles.

Me%2520stich.jpg

But I wash it regularly :blink:

IMG_0142.JPG

I've been a little tougher on some of my other gear.

IMG_5426.JPG

I've worn my Tourmaster overpants for about twelve years and have yet to find something I think is as good to replace them. Even Tourmaster doesn't make an equivalent.

Trouble is, I remember reading somewhere that synthetic fabrics like Cordura lose their strength after exposure to long periods of sunlight. Mine were black when they were new, but are turning sort of gray now. Anybody know anything specific about this? WBill

My Aerostitch is at least 15 years old now, unknown mileage, but certainly well over 100k now. Arai helmet and gloves are left over from road racing - I retired in 2000.

4472_82291904322_570819322_1636119_3147607_n.jpg