How old were you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At what age did you start riding a motorcycle on the street?

• Total voters
At 14, my dad bought me a used Honda CT90 which I rode all over the country, right up to the city limits sign. Dad always told me I couldn't cross that line. I could get up to 65mph on it, but it took a while.

CT90.jpg
Not so much a manly bike, I'll give you that.

I think it taught me a lot about riding and independence, but I'm really glad that was as fast as it would go. I might not have lived through the many accidents I had on it if it were a faster bike. I never wore a helmet (didn't even have one) or a jacket. It was a different age in the late 70's.

I slid 200 feet on the pavement on a slick road without a scratch. I caved in the front wheel and flew 15 feet over the bars when the bike hit a huge pothole. I don't even remember any of that stuff hurting. I think I skinned my elbow. Thinking back, I even had the thing catch on fire from an electrical short while driving down the road. All the wiring burnt up.

Fast forward to current and just a few years ago I rode my nephew's dirt bike in the back field. Gunned it a bit early out of a turn and I didn't get it straight so it went over. Big deal, right? The bike pretty much just fell over in the grass. I had gear on. Broke my ankle and two ribs. I have a plate in my leg now that aches about half the time. I sure as heck remember the pain of the broken ribs. I thought I was going to die the next day. It sucks to get older.

I've wondered if I had sons instead of daughters whether I would have bought them bikes. According to the insurance post above, I guess I wouldn't have because I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I guess if I lived in a rural area, I might get them a small dirt bike or a low cc dual sport that wasn't licensed, but I wouldn't let them ride on the road.

Thanks for the topic and the reminiscing.

Yep, 16.

I do not and would not recommend anyone 16 riding today. My parents were stupid and thought it was at least a neutral idea (I think my mom thought it a bad idea).

I don't even want my sons to try it unless they are prepared. My 22 yr. old asked me about bikes the other day and I told him that he was going to have buy a dependable one, take an MSF course, and spend at least $5-600 for AGATT. That shut him down pretty quick. It would be cool to ride with him someday but that day is a way off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started under age on my brothers 1964 Yamaha 80 (hence my screen name 64y80) which I bought off him as soon as I got my license, or was it before I got my license, crap I forget. <_<

Oh, wow, I picked the wrong one. I bought a GS-500 at 25 or so, but I had a QT-50 when I was 14-15 and rode that illegally until I got pulled over. I wish I knew how to ride when I had that 50. :)

It was 1960, I was 16, and rode my neighbors POS Sears Allstate 2-stroke around the neighborhood. Didn't get my own bike till '68, a new Kawasaki 90, about $300. Sheesh, my last helmet cost more! :rolleyes:

I was 14 in ND. Anybody under 16 was required to take motorcycle safety which I took at 14. The first bike I rode on the street was an 89 Honda NX250. Great little bike but was definitely designed more towards street than dirt. I wish I had an XL250 back than. The front fender would fill up with mud and the front wheel would lock up. I grew up riding dirt bikes at age 8.

2004%5C06%5C06%5Cbikepics-161619-320.jpg

It was 1960, I was 16, and rode my neighbors POS Sears Allstate 2-stroke around the neighborhood. Didn't get my own bike till '68, a new Kawasaki 90, about $300. Sheesh, my last helmet cost more! :rolleyes:

Geno

I thought my Allstate moped was a great starter bike. That's how I learned all about scheduled maintence and unscheduled maintence. :lol:

Yep, 16.

I do not and would not recommend anyone 16 riding today. My parents were stupid and thought it was at least a neutral idea (I think my mom thought it a bad idea).

I don't even want my sons to try it unless they are prepared. My 22 yr. old asked me about bikes the other day and I told him that he was going to have buy a dependable one, take an MSF course, and spend at least $5-600 for AGATT. That shut him down pretty quick. It would be cool to ride with him someday but that day is a way off.
My son and I ride off road, mostly. A few back country roads to get to another dirt road when needed. I will say 16 now seems younger than 16 then, but believe each situation is different. I would still feel comfortable to have him on the street with "ME" and on the right roads.

Right attitude, right gear, and the right roads make the difference. At least that's my opinion.

Wayne

I was 18 when I got an Honda XL600 dual purpose. My best friend had an XL350. I had fun on it but I kept it for about 6 months and decided that I like street riding better and got a midnight blue Nighthawk 650. I had a blast on that thing.

83-650%20blue.jpg

I was 14, a friend a year older than me owned a H-D Rapido (125 ?) and would have me drop him at a bank behind the house his girl friend baby-sat for, right next door to her very strict parents.

We had to coast in and push out of the bank parking lot for stealth purposes. After the drop off the bike was mine as long as I did a coast through of the bank parking lot every half hour or so in case he had to beat it and hide in the field.

I put a ton of miles on that bike. Eventually got my own and haven't really been without one for more than a few months at a time ever since.

I was in college in my 20's and wanted wheels so I bought a used 1975 Suzuki GT380: 3-cyl, 2-stroke, 5 speed street bike. Nearly burnt out the clutch practicing figure-8's without putting feet down for the PA cycle license test (Trooper said: "Next time, take the test on a smaller bike."; I replied: "There will never be a 'next time'."). :dribble:

I rode the GT380 for 4+ years, including a Philadelphia to Daytona Beach, FL run and back one summer on Interstate 95 at 75mph+. I added a large Clearview windshield, custom bars and pegs, and rear trunk deck and a loud horn. Awesome bike. As the engine aged I tore it down and rebuilt it, the tranny too, also swapped out for a different carb and pipes. The bike took all kinds of stupidity on my part but still brought me home. :D

Granger

13 on a Yamaha 175 Endro. Rode all over the sticks (Huron National Forest) in Michigan. Back then it was trail riding. Now it is Adventure Riding or Dual Sports.

I was 18 when I got an Honda XL600 dual purpose. My best friend had an XL350. I had fun on it but I kept it for about 6 months and decided that I like street riding better and got a midnight blue Nighthawk 650. I had a blast on that thing.

83-650%20blue.jpg

The Honda 650 Nighthawk is a great bike. Shaft drive, and fun fun fun. I had an 1984 model. I wouldn't give up the FJR for it, but I did like that bike.