How to best power a heated vest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my '04 I I installed a Powerlet receptacle on the frame beneath the seat (near the seat lock). The Powerlet wire (fused) runs directly to the battery so that it's hot when the bike isn't running. That way I can use the receptacle for an air compressor. The control module for my Widder vest is velcro'd to the top of my side case. One lead goes to the Powerlet receptacle and the other to my vest. With it arranged that way, I can turn the vest on or off, or adjust temperature as the situation requires, while underway. I just reach back with my left hand.

There are probably more elegant arrangements, but this has worked for me for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Tourmaster Synergy heated vest. For simplicity, I wired it directly to the battery. I then tie up the wire under the handebar along with cable wires and a velcro wire tie. You can't see it unless you are really looking. When needed unfold and plug in. It goes over the gas tank, but I put a tank bag on for these longer trips and the cable never touches the tank.

I used this for 20,000 miles on my 2008 FJR. Never an issue.

I am sure the other ways are better, but I am holding off on plastic removal as long as I can.

Thank you all. I'm about to wire a pig tail with fuse to the battery. I found a set of wire (that I believe came from the Slime air compressor originally) with a flat blade fuse with 'E' on it, instead of a number indicating 'A' (current). What is 'E' rated for? I have never seen it before. Here is a pic.

TjOEgzIl.jpg

Thanks. That may be it! If it's 3A then it was probably not from SLIME as the SLIME air compressor requires 15A.

It must be from my battery tender.

A 14 gauge wire fused is plently for the vest(I have the same with the gloves). I personally prefer the BMW

style Powerlet outlets. Their warranty is outstanding.

Below is my old FJR, below that, my current FZ6, below that the 2014 FJR;

2004 FJR, dual outlets;

2007 FZ6;

2006 thru 2014 (NON ES) version

2014 ES