How too...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi gang. Just 2 comments. Only change I'd do to Zippp's method is to reinstall the front axle and let it rest on one jack stand (in the middle); it's more stable that way IMO.

The second is to buy a motorcycle tire balancer and do the balancing yourself. I have the Marc Parnes one (very well known), is very accurate, and easy to use.

I also do my own tire changes, and so far it's been a bit hard to break the beads as I was just using my wife's SUV to lever a long 2x6. Now that I'll have all the space I need (that was about time), I'll either buy a dedicated tire changer, or come up with another solution, like making a bead breaker out of wood or something. I don't ride that many miles to justify a tire changer, however. Best way would be a shared one, but in this town, I doubt it. The main reason I don't like somebody else do it for me is 9 out of 10 friends who have done it, their wheels were severely messed up. Most of them didn't care, but I do. With one exception (first time), I've never done an iota of damage to any of my wheels, even with my rudimentary system. Later.

JC

2x4 under the centerstand, and the classic Pit Bull up front...... no muss, no fuss....

pitbull.jpg

And for bikes with no centerstand.... Pit Bulls all around!

rear_off.jpg

front_off.jpg

CycleGear, $30/ea -- just did it today, got my PR2's mounted up from the GB. My ride sits in the garage right now looking almost exactly like zzzip's. 1 beer removal, 2 beer reinstallation. And I take the u-joint out to re-lube just for good measure.

That's who did mine too. Nice folks there. Although my wife said she did get some strange looks when she bought the "Fast Dates" callender from them for my Christmas present. They are only about a mile from my office so are really convienient for me too.

As for how I held the bike up....I used the jack stands under the fork but had a cargo strap and an engine hoist as a saftey backup. If I remember correctly I had the strap routed under the bike and up along the sides in case it fell sideways.

Ray

Warning Will Robinson!: I'm doing it again....

IMG_2138.jpg

Man-- I love living on the edge!!!! :p

B)