Hung in 4th & 5th & lights go out.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only come across it once and it was on an FJ1200 that I fixed for a friend (same symptoms). Shift rod is a very similar design to the FJR. I just swapped his shift rod compete with damaged spring for one of my spares. To change the rod on an FJR involves a fair bit of burrowing so I think $300 for a dealer to do the job is pretty good. Personally I think the dealer should be doing it for free. In the UK the dealer would be liable even on a second hand machine if the failure happened so soon after purchase (they can't cry sold as seen).

A great dealer would step up, but there's no requirement that they do so. A used bike is "as is."

I agree that they should, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You have nothing with which to force them to do so that I know of.

A great dealer would step up, but there's no requirement that they do so. A used bike is "as is."
I agree that they should, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You have nothing with which to force them to do so that I know of.
Unfortunately, this is true. "as is" is a mighty powerful legal term that is carved in stone. Don't hold your breath on that one.

These type of consumer protection laws are a state by state thing, and some states do have laws that protect the buyer from undisclosed issues such as this. It does vary by state but most states do have an implied Warranty of Merchantability which means the vehicle has to do what the dealership infers it will do at the time of sale. (reference)

That should probably be the OP's position, i.e. that the dealership sold the vehicle with an existing, undisclosed, major flaw, and that they should be required to make it right. But for just $300 it probably isn't worth the effort to go after them for it.

Just be sure to let them know, as you are paying the $300 bill, that they have lost all possible future business with them and any of your internet friends over a $300 (probably < $100 their cost including labor) repair. And then make good on that promise. From the sounds of it, they may not care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with Fred, except for the "$300 isn't worth the effort" part. It may not be worth a LOT of effort, but it's definitely worth a try. The real certainty is they'll do absolutely nothing without some kind of a shove from you. I'd write a letter directly to the owner of the Big #1 Yamaha dealership (if I got the name right), and refer to the information Fred linked to, and clearly say what you want them to do, and why.

You do represent a lot of future business for them, both from yourself and from people who may read negative posts on this forum and from websites like "Yelp," (if that's nationwide--don't know). I've read that it takes ten satisfied customers to offset the negativity generated by one dissatisfied one.

I hope you'll post their response both here and in the "Dealer and Vendor Feedback" section, with a link back to this thread. And if anybody decides not to patronize (or to stop patronizing) them because of it, I hope they'll let Big #1 know exactly why. Good luck.

Update time - I picked up the bike Monday afternoon and after some discussion the bill was reduced to $186 & change (their cost I was told???). The broken spring I called & asked for before getting there was not to be found. Probably locked in the mechanics box and he was gone I was told. Good news is, that for now, the bike has nice crisp shifts.

The strobe unit was removed and seems to have eliminated all the light issues I was having. Someone earlier said they were more trouble than they were worth and I now tend to agree with them.

I have lights and gears, and with the exception of the dealer issue, I am a happy cruiser :) . Thanks again for all the support and sharing of knowledge. Jack

Someone says now: Glad you got the bike fixed up with a reasonable compromise financial solution for both parties.

No get out there and ride the wheels off of that thang! ;)

Good news fer sure that you got it fixed, that is what matters.

However, the skeptic/cynic in me has a hard time with the dealer finding such an unusual failure then suddenly, out of the blue cuts the bill in half and can't produce the broken part that he said was broken. Usually a dealer will tell you that they sent the bad part to Yamaha for evaluation, especially if a Yamaha tech was involved. The cynic in me wonders what they actually did to fix the shifting problem.

I agree with ionbeam. That "missing" broken part makes me skeptical. Did they lube the linkage, resolve the problem, then decide they needed to make a few extra bucks? At least they cut the cost of the repair, which, considering they sold you a defective bike, was the least they could do. But glad you are back aboard a functional mount.

I too am skeptical about the spring being replaced. However, I believe the shifting problem is repaired and will not return. I just doubt that there ever was a broken spring.

In any case, the cost was better than expected and the bike is good to go.

I had a very similar shifting issue. I could downshift ONCE, then the shift lever would not return high enough to catch the next gear. I would have to 'toe' it up just enough to catch the next gear. I thought it was the bicycle innertube I was using to keep the black off my tan (yuck) Army boots, thinking it was rubbing on the large bolt right behind the shifter. It was not. I sprayed a little B'Laster (penetrating lube, like WD-40 but non evaporating) behind and it instantly fixed the problem.

Turns out there was just enough friction to prevent the shifter from completely returning to the centered position.

OOPS. See that is what happens when I read own to the bottom of the first page and not notice that little page marker at the bottom before answering.

Glad you got it fixed and running.

I wish a little spray lube would have been my problem, but not my luck. I tried pulling the shifter up with my toe but that did nothing for my problem. It just felt like there was nothing there but 4th & 5th. I still haven't gotten the broke spring or the modulator back but, the dealer is well aware I will not be back and that I will do everything I can to help advertise for him, right! Wishing everyone safe and exciting rides.