Hurricane Irene

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, lots and lots and lots of trees down and blocking the roads and power lines. Close to 800,000 homes in Ct. without electricity, including mine since Sunday 4:30am. Everything at the office is working just fine, Maybe I'll just stay here for the time being. Otherwise no real damage from trees or water to my house, could have been worse. Hope everybody else faired well through this.

New Hampshire here.

Oh sticks.. Sticks everywhere!!

Save my lawn from the sticks falling off the trees...

Will someone call FEMA please!!

Now give me a good old Ice storm in the middle of February and I will be Gassing up the Generator and making a made dash to the stores to stock up!

I am sure others got hit very hard. And am not making light of there situation. But remember when New York lost power for less than 24 hours and they where all slapping themselves on the back for not looting?

It's all prospective.

Many roads washed out and closed here in VT along with trees down lots of places. RT 7 (main route in and out of Rutland, VT) has a bridge out so "you can't get there from here" has new meaning (I know, go the "round about" way). Other than over 4" to 5" locally from the storm things are OK. Got to watch the MotoGP race. :yahoo:

Tom

We had a fair bit of wind and about 4" of rain. Power just came back an hr ago after being out 36 hrs. Luckily I have a generator big enough to run everything, except,... my welder... :( Got some catchin' up to do...

I hope everyone else got thru it OK.

Still no power anywhere in our area since sat night. School was canx today and tomorrow. Keeping the generator fed. Lu

ckily, no damage to house or family.

Still without power on my block. We had some massive thunderstorms blow through last night, with lots of lightning; I imagine that set the repair crews back a bit. The crews were in my neighborhood last night, so I'm hoping that today's the day...

My weather station recorded approx. 6" of rain and 46mph wind Sun. night. Flooding was insane! Lots of washed out roads here, but looks like southern VT got hit even worse.

Several sections of Rt. 8 are either closed (gone) or one lane through western MA. I believe Rt. 2 is impassable from NY to MA rt. 7. I'm not sure what the situation is on rt. 116 or other good riding roads in W-MA yet.

We got our power back last night at ~2:30AM. Out for 2 days. Not bad.

Everyone in the area has some kind of a generator. We only ran ours for a few hours twice a day to keep the freezer froze.

Our area was not really hit too badly. With no power, no intarwebs, no phone (except cell) no work. So I had all day yesterday to clean up the few downed branches in the streaming sunshine. I'll take one of these Cat 1 'canes over an ice storm any day.

I hope Ed and Gracie are OK. I've heard Waterbury got hit HARD! Not sure how much riding I'll be doing for a while myself. Lots of roads and bridges are washed out in my area (near Rutland, VT). It'll take some time for sure.

Tom

Vermont Road Alerts:

US 4: from US 7 to VT 106

road closed, collapse, debris on roadway, fallen trees because of flooding —

Comment: Audio Text: Route 4 from Woodstock to Rutland ic CLOSED long term due to severe damage from Hurricane Irene. Unknown duration. Seek alternate route. Route 4 from Woodstock to Rutland ic CLOSED long term due to severe damage from Hurricane Irene. Unknown duration. Seek alternate route.

US 7 in both directions: from VT 103 to US 4

road closed to traffic due to storm damage and because the bridge is closed —

US 7: between Mcconnell Road and VT 73

road closed because of flooding —

Comment: Route 7 in Brandon Village is Closed due to flooding.

US 7: between Lake Dunmore Road and VT 116

road blocked, flooding —

US 302: from VT 25 to VT 232

roadway reduced to one lane because of flooding —

Comment: Audio Text: Some sections of Rte 302 will be down to one lane between 232 and 25. Use caution. Some sections of Rte 302 will be down to one lane between 232 and 25. Use caution.

Courtesy of 511vt.com

Also seen pictures of sections of Rt. 100 that are gone.

And, Stowe Village is/was significantly under water.

Last but not least:

The Massaschusetts Department of Transportation’s status report of state roads in the Berkshires and Western Massachusetts affected by Tropical Storm Irene:

-- The soutbound lane of Interstate 91 remains closed between exits 26 and 24. The detour is via the Greenfield rotary, Route 2A eastbound, River Road and Route 5 southbound.

-- Route 5 in Northampton is closed due to the high water level. The detour is between exits 17 and 18 on I-91.

-- Route 8 from the junction with Route 23 in Otis to the Connecticut state line in Sandisfield remains closed. Utility work is complete and lane shifts are being set up.

-- Route 20 Becket at the junction of Route 8 to Chester center is closed due to roadway and structure damage.

-- Route 8 in Clarksburg from Henderson Road to the North Adams town line is closed.

-- Route 2 (the Mohawk Trail) from mile marker 27 in Charlemont to mile marker 21 in North Adams is still closed indefinitely. Route 2 is now open from Buckland to Charlemont MM 27.45.

-- Route 112 in Buckland is closed between mile marker 36 and mile marker 38.

-- Route 112 in Colrain is closed at mile marker 46 due to road failure.

-- Route 7A in Ashley Falls at mile marker 1.5 was closed Monday around 9 p.m. due to rising waters and remains closed.

-- Route 7 in Sheffield from Lime Kiln road to the Sheffield Depot (mile marker 7) now has water subsiding. The road is flooded, but passable at this time.

Good Lord you guys got thumped!!! I bet you never thought upstate NY, VT, NH would ever be prone to be so adversely affected by a Hurricane! This years weather in the U.S. has been one for record books. And the Hurricane season is just beginning. Sheesh!!!

We had the unusual Tornado outbreak in May down here in Georgia. Just been crazy weather.

Unfortunately I just heard the news of a riding friend in VA that was in Arkansas because his father passed away. While he was gone Irene tore his house in half and his motorcycle that is stored outside in his shed had a large oak tree that have fallen on it. :( I mean how much can a person take all at once????

I was worried about my favorite twist road and all that new pavement on 116. I wonder how that could have survived with the river along it?

Well the power finally came back on around 5:15 P.M. today and it was out since Sunday around 10:00 A.M.. You learn to appreciate everyday life without the necessaties. I had to haul 5 gallan pails of pool water just to flush the comodes. I lost two big trees and fortunatly they were far enough away from the house to not cause any damage. The damn pine trees that I would love to see fall just swayed back and forth all day long. I did take the XR out for a ride to the ocean to see what was up and there were a few hundred peeps out there just juppin and leaning against the wind. I did have a gust of wind almost take me off the highway at one point. I was going to take the camera with me but both did not have the battery's charged up at the time. Trees were down everywhere when you got closer to the coastline. We managed to do O.K. and life is getting back to normal.

Dave

We actually didn't have it too bad here at our house. Some wind gusts that blew down a few trees (into the woods, thankfully) and lots of rain. Downtown Waterbury however, really got drowned. There was 3' of water on main street in some places. It's quite a mess. Mud everywhere...

Ed.

Only two bridges were destroyed. The Upper Cox Brook bridge in Northfield, VT was on the NERDS route.

9951991-large.jpg

Here is a

of the demise of the other bridge, in Bartonsville. That one was not on the route as it is farther to the south.

Several others were damaged, but only two were trashed. Here's the full list: Clicky