hurt my back trying to put fjr on center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have noticed this before - I have the 905 racing rear crashguard installed on my FJR. I think its interfering with my foot and leg placement, and causing me to have to lift with my back/twist as I lift the bike. I finally realized it when I was watching the video and trying to figure out how someone could get their legs in there like that... with the guard in the way, I think it makes the center stand impractical. I had gotten the bike on the center stand at home a few times, but it was always tough, and now I think I know why.

I finally got around to throwing a sidestand puck into my saddlebag. If I have to park somewhere with less than optimal surface, I'll just throw out the puck (instead of my back :) )

Oh sure... Don't reveal the pertinent details until the 60th post on the subject. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's it. Easy enough to yank that thing off on the left side and try it without, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have noticed this before - I have the 905 racing rear crashguard installed on my FJR. I think its interfering with my foot and leg placement, and causing me to have to lift with my back/twist as I lift the bike. I finally realized it when I was watching the video and trying to figure out how someone could get their legs in there like that... with the guard in the way, I think it makes the center stand impractical. I had gotten the bike on the center stand at home a few times, but it was always tough, and now I think I know why.
I finally got around to throwing a sidestand puck into my saddlebag. If I have to park somewhere with less than optimal surface, I'll just throw out the puck (instead of my back :) )
One reason not to have a 905 rear guard...avoiding back pain.

Oh sure... Don't reveal the pertinent details until the 60th post on the subject. :rolleyes:
Maybe that's it. Easy enough to yank that thing off on the left side and try it without, right?
Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't realize what was going on sooner.

The front and rear crashguards were one of the first farkles I put on there. I got them for both my bike, and Martine's. I guess I sort of forgot those weren't part of the stock bike.

Its easy enough to take the left one off... but I'm not going to try it until I can get a volunteer to do it for me. I'm still recovering, and feeling a little dumb from doing the same thing to hurt my back twice.

The front and rear crashguards were one of the first farkles I put on there. I got them for both my bike, and Martine's. I guess I sort of forgot those weren't part of the stock bike.

Its easy enough to take the left one off... but I'm not going to try it until I can get a volunteer to do it for me. I'm still recovering, and feeling a little dumb from doing the same thing to hurt my back twice.
I've got the 905s front and rear, but I don't come into contact with the rear one, so I'm missing something. I've got my left hand on the left handlebar, the right hand on the left grab rail (find it easier for me than the cut out handle) and my right foot on the centerstand tang with bike evenly balanced on both sides of the centerstand. It comes up pretty easy and the crash bar never comes into play for me.

doctorj

I've seen a guy put his bike on the centerstand without using any sort of grab-handle for the right arm...he put his foot on the tang, used his left hand on the handlebar to stand it straight up (yes, his wheel was all to one side, very disturbing) and popped it up. He was demonstrating that there need be no 'lifting' on the back of the bike.
Chris

hmmm... I don't see how that would be possible for me - at least not on my FJR.

(ugh, put me back on the injured list :( )

I taught all day saturday, and the only time my back gave me any trouble was when I had to bend over to pick up cones. I was lucky I was teaching with my wife, and she did all the cone placement, and the rest of teaching didn't bother me - including taking the scooters off their center stands and putting them back.
tmonroe - I too am a back pain survivor and can feel your pain. Last July I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and couldn't fullfill my MSF Rider Coach duties due to the pain. When I resumed teaching I made a stick for picking up cones that allows one to remain upright and not have to bend at the waist or stoop down to pick them up. Get a 5/8 or 3/4" wooden dowel about 4' long, drill a hole in one end and screw in a metal toggle bolt (used for hanging stuff in wallboard) and make sure the wings fold all the way back (not hitting the bottom of the dowel) so you might have to put in a longer screw to accomplish this. Poke the point through the cone and they'll stack up nicely for you. Only issue is if you want to keep the green and orange ones separate you'll need two sticks or weed them out later. On the centerstand issue, I'm 6'1" and do the right foot thing, just mash it down and she'll pop right up. HTH

I've got the 905s front and rear, but I don't come into contact with the rear one, so I'm missing something. I've got my left hand on the left handlebar, the right hand on the left grab rail (find it easier for me than the cut out handle) and my right foot on the centerstand tang with bike evenly balanced on both sides of the centerstand. It comes up pretty easy and the crash bar never comes into play for me.

doctorj

Really? Are you trying to get me to hurt my back again ;)

I guess my understanding of trying to lift something heavy is not as good as I'd hoped it was. Here's what I understand: Whenever you lift anything as heavy as a motorcycle (even if you're only lifting a fraction of the weight), you should be using your legs exclusively.

That said, I think I understand the concept of how grabbing the handle should work. The way I think it should work is that you should have a straight back, and that your arm should be at full extension, so when you press down with your leg, you are simultaneously lifting with your arm, keeping the back straight the whole time. The upward force is transferred through your straight back down the fully extended arm, which lifts the bike (so you get lift from pressing on the centerstand while also getting lift from your arm, using the quadricep exclusively for lift).

Just for an experiment, I did this in the bathroom with the counter just a minute ago. I bent at the knees until I could grasp the bottom of the countertop (with straight arms). Keeping the back straight, I lift with my legs. I pressed myself up a little, and even with one hand, to see what I think I should be doing with the bike. The advantage in the bathroom is that there are mirrors all around, so I could see what my back was doing, and see what lifting should look like. I didn't actually try to pickup the counter, but I could have, and I didn't feel any stress in my back (even though I can still tell that I'm recovering).

When I go out to my bike, and put my foot on the centerstand, I can't reach the lower grab location without bending at the waist. And if I grab my givi rack (which I can reach without bending over), my arm is not at full extension - so if I press down only, I won't actually be lifting the bike up (I would need to either lift with one arm - which probably isn't going to do much, or twist/bend backwards at the waist, which is probably part of my problem).

When I'm reaching for the lower grip, I bend my knee as much as I can, but I still can't quite reach the grip. My shin is actually pressing up against the rear crash guard, so I think that might be why the crash guard is causing me problems.

I think if you're not having any problems with the rear guard, that you either must have significantly different length legs than me (which I think it pretty likely), or that you're lifting using your back.

I had actually gotten both my FJR and my wifes up on the centerstand at home numerous times. I just can't remember exactly what technique I used. I'm pretty sure though that it involved rolling the bike backwards onto the centerstand, probably in combination with a little lifting (both with the arm, and with the foot pressing down). I do remember noticing that it was difficult, but until last week, it was never a real problem.

I have tried for the last few weeks ( off and on ) to get that thing on the center stand and couldn't budge it. Today I tried again and instead of standing on the center stand arm I rotated my foot towards the rear and pushed back and down on the arm and it popped up on the stand so quick it shocked me for moment........didn't have to lift at all...........now if I can just repeat that again.

I weigh less than a buck-sixty and I can get the FJR on the centerstand with what I consider moderate effort. Last night I put my buds FJ1200 on the stand and it was all I could do to pull it off. I swore the back tire was epoxied to the floor!

tmonroe,

You are a taller guy like me. Try using the left side passenger grab handle instead of the indentation provided. That's what I do (6'2") so I don't have to lean over to find the handhold.

Also, when you go to raise the bike, you want to do it in one fairly brisk motion, pushing your right leg down and back on the centerstand tang while simultaneously pulling up and forward on the passenger handle. Don't try to slowly press it up. Pop it up there!!

You'll get the hang of it eventually and when you do you'll be like, "Why was that so hard?" ;)

I have always thought the FJR to be easy to put up on the centerstand. On level pavement, no touring gear loaded on, hard soled shoes.

What a pack of pussies! I'll be 69 this year and have no problems getting my FJR on the centerstand, even when it's in gear! If the bike's too much for you just go ahead and say it!

If I hadnt seen on the internet for myself I never would thunk that gettin a bike on the centerstand was so difficult. This is kinda like how much torgue to apply to the oil drain plug!

I know this post has been going on for a while - I've tried the centerstand with the first FJR I test rode, a 2008A. Popped right up, was very easy and felt like my other last Yamaha bike stand I used to have.

The new BABE I ended up buying, a 2006 AE, doesn't want to go up on the stand without a HUGE effort. Every time I do that I'm tempted to shout for my wife to please come help..... :lol:

The PO told me he had the front lowered by one to one and a half inches for better curve-appeal. The whole bike sits lower to start with....

Just something to think about if you are one of the few having problems with the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PO told me he had the front lowered by one to one and a half inches for better curve-appeal. The whole bike sits lower to start with....
Just something to think about if you are one of the few having problems with the stand.

... which is why I, at 125 lbs, can put a stock Feej on the centerstand but can't put MINE on. Mine's been lowered, too

... which is why I, at 125 lbs, can put a stock Feej on the centerstand but can't put MINE on. Mine's been lowered, too
I found that if your bike has too much sag or a lowered bike, it's hard to get it on the center stand. I put shorter dog bones to raise the rear and it's much eaiser to get on the stand. I can put it on the center stand while seated on the bike. I'm putting on my new Hyper Pro rear shock the has height adjustments on the shock and I'm going to be going back to the stock dog bones.