hurt my back trying to put fjr on center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PO told me he had the front lowered by one to one and a half inches for better curve-appeal. The whole bike sits lower to start with....
Just something to think about if you are one of the few having problems with the stand.

... which is why I, at 125 lbs, can put a stock Feej on the centerstand but can't put MINE on. Mine's been lowered, too
I found that if your bike has too much sag or a lowered bike, it's hard to get it on the center stand. I put shorter dog bones to raise the rear and it's much eaiser to get on the stand. I can put it on the center stand while seated on the bike. I'm putting on my new Hyper Pro rear shock the has height adjustments on the shock and I'm going to be going back to the stock dog bones.
Sounds like a visit to GP Suspension is in my future. I would like to be able to use the center stand, especially after reading here somewhere about a loaded FJR getting blown over at the gas station on the side stand in high wind...

Since my original post, my back feels 100% now, and I've been able to put both my and my wife's FJR on the center stand (at home in the driveway) with no problems at all. I still think it takes a little more effort than my GL1800 did... but not so much that its a problem.

The parking spot I was using at work is another story. Its on dirt, with a slight decline (the back of the bike is a little higher than the front). I can't remember, but there may have been another bike parked next to it as well.

In any case, I bought a sidestand puck and I use that when I need to park in that same spot.

Since my original post, my back feels 100% now, and I've been able to put both my and my wife's FJR on the center stand (at home in the driveway) with no problems at all. I still think it takes a little more effort than my GL1800 did... but not so much that its a problem.
The parking spot I was using at work is another story. Its on dirt, with a slight decline (the back of the bike is a little higher than the front). I can't remember, but there may have been another bike parked next to it as well.

In any case, I bought a sidestand puck and I use that when I need to park in that same spot.
Whenever approaching a parking spot, I will almost never park my bike with the front wheel lower than the back. If it's on the side stand it might do a Fred H and roll off onto its side. Abd you've already expressed the reason the center stand is a problem when parked downhill.

Much easier to just back into the same parking space so the front end is higher than the rear. Then either stand will work mo' bettah! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PO told me he had the front lowered by one to one and a half inches for better curve-appeal. The whole bike sits lower to start with....
Just something to think about if you are one of the few having problems with the stand.

... which is why I, at 125 lbs, can put a stock Feej on the centerstand but can't put MINE on. Mine's been lowered, too
I found that if your bike has too much sag or a lowered bike, it's hard to get it on the center stand. I put shorter dog bones to raise the rear and it's much eaiser to get on the stand. I can put it on the center stand while seated on the bike. I'm putting on my new Hyper Pro rear shock the has height adjustments on the shock and I'm going to be going back to the stock dog bones.
Sounds like a visit to GP Suspension is in my future. I would like to be able to use the center stand, especially after reading here somewhere about a loaded FJR getting blown over at the gas station on the side stand in high wind...
I guess it's time to post last weeks conclusions; Here is a funny and rather embarrassing update to my own bikes center-stand issue. It was pointed out to blind me (thank you!) that the front fork was really only lowered by a little more then 1/4" or so, not the 1-1/4" or more that the previous owner had mentioned. Kind of glaringly obvious once you realize were you need to look. The PO had not seen or rode his bike for a year or more when we talked a few weeks ago.

I also realized that the tires felt and smelled rather on the hottish side after last Saturdays ride in the cold and wet. I had put a tire gauge on before I had left Saturday morning, but this time tried the one for my compressor hose instead, and I totally flipped. That showed both front and rear low by a whopping 10 psi. I remeasured with the first one, and that showed the tires to be right on the mark. After that I proceeded to look around the garage and the house for any other gauges, and actually came up with two more. Both were very close to my compressor attachment gauge. Fortunately I only rode for the better part of one day with my tires really low.

So here is the deal, after giving the old gauge a very specific new place in the bottom section of the garage garbage can, I pumped the tires up to 39/42 (or so I hope), and tried the center stand again. Still not super easy, but DEFINITELY very doable now. Doh!!!! :lol: :p :glare: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
and the only thing left is for me to push the bike back,

I was using the Givi Aftermarket luggage rack to lift
[SIZE=24pt]Incorrect technique!!!!!!![/SIZE]

You don't push the bike back, or get it rolling, lift it (it's 650 pounds, for cryin' out loud!) or anything like that.

You do know there's a handle on the side, under the rail beside the seat, right? THAT's the hand position for the centerstand.

Left hand on the handlebar, right hand in the handle under the seat. Right foot on the centerstand tang, push the centerstand to the ground (no force yet,) rock the bike up so both centerstand feet touch the ground, then stand on the tang. Don't lift at the handle, just hold on there. Use your leg (strongest muscle in the body!) to press down on the tang. You'll put more than your own weight on the tang, and the bike rolls right up. Your back is not involved hardly any more than it is just walking around. It's easy to stand on the tang hard enough to slide the bike backwards several inches on the centerstand when it comes up.

This is right! It's all technique and it's about pushing DOWN and very little effort is required in lifting.

Latest posts