I guess am not an intelligent rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pointed Opinions on Riding Motorcycles!

According to this author, I am not an intelligent rider. Here is one example, I use a Zumo 550 to pipe directions into my helmet, but I learned I should be using a map attached to my tank bag, such as he does.

Here is more from the author:

“What sort of motorcycle does an intelligent rider choose? He or she definitely wants one with excellent and powerful anti-lock brakes (ABS), superb handling, sufficient power, standard handlebars and seating ergonomics, and a fabulous front and rear supension with plenty of travel. If you plan on riding long distances, you need comfortable saddles, comprehensive weather protection, adequate luggage space, an alternator putting well over 500 watts, and an upright, but slightly leaning forward, riding position. For a touring motorcycle you will want to add accessories such as a tank bag, headlight modulator, additional driving lights, and flashing brake lights. Tubeless tires are good because they can be temporarily repaired on the road.”

You Gen I guys, you are not intelligent riders, as your alternators do not put out well over 500 watts. Those without anti-lock brakes, you are not intelligent riders. Although, I will cut you a break as I often ride without a tank bag, that makes me even more of an unintelligent rider.

“Sitting-duck riders. That is what I call riders who ride along for long periods in the same wheel track, usually the left one. Clearly, they are oblivious to the hazards all around them. They are fixated on one wheel track—period.”

Dang, I do this also. On my commute home, I am in the left portion of my lane almost the entire 40 miles. What am I thinking as I look down the roadway and watch the shadows of the cars far ahead to monitor traffic speed ahead of me?

I guess I need to go back and learn the basics of riding. I thought things such as a GPS giving direction to me would help me keep my eyes on the road. I am not a total loss, I did get a “fabulous front and rear supension” (author misspelled suspension, but since it is a quote I left it incorrect) from GP Suspensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess there will be many that don't live up to his standard of an intelligent rider. :fuck: him!

This is my favorite example:

ape-hangers.jpg

Naw, it ain't cause of him. It's due to your riding a Gen ll bike :)

I do get sick of some self-rightous rider who think his way is best. Whatever....

Gotta love the pic of the dude with the super ape hangers, now that's styling.

“Sitting-duck riders. That is what I call riders who ride along for long periods in the same wheel track, usually the left one. Clearly, they are oblivious to the hazards all around them. They are fixated on one wheel track—period.”
Dang, I do this also. On my commute home, I am in the left portion of my lane almost the entire 40 miles. What am I thinking as I look down the roadway and watch the shadows of the cars far ahead to monitor traffic speed ahead of me?
The left track is also the first place to be violated if somebody crosses the center line. I constantly move between the left and right tracks, the left when I'm looking to pass or there's no oncoming traffic, and the right to let vehicles in front block for me. On multi-lane roadways, I use the left track to get around vehicles' left side, and the right track to pass on their right side, keeping as much distance as possible between them and me as I get around (quickly). I cringe at the riders in groups who pass other vehicles at cruising speed, and hang three feet from the vehicle as they go by.

I spend as little time as possible in the center, as that's where the slippery stuff and tire hazards like to congregate. YMMV....

The left track is also the first place to be violated if somebody crosses the center line. I constantly move between the left and right tracks, the left when I'm looking to pass or there's no oncoming traffic, and the right to let vehicles in front block for me. On multi-lane roadways, I use the left track to get around vehicles' left side, and the right track to pass on their right side, keeping as much distance as possible between them and me as I get around (quickly). I cringe at the riders in groups who pass other vehicles at cruising speed, and hang three feet from the vehicle as they go by.
I spend as little time as possible in the center, as that's where the slippery stuff and tire hazards like to congregate. YMMV....
My ride home, for the most part, has large grass areas between my lane and oncoming traffic. In fact, there is so much room you can roll a semi over into the center section and not impact the traffic going the other way.

Video

On the far left you can make out the oncoming traffic.

I tend to spend a lot of time in the left portion of the lane. Unless it is a windy day, which is a lot, then I ride in the center section to allow the wind to blow me around a bit and stay in my lane.

Apparently the term "lane discipline" is unknown to the guy in the link. :rolleyes:

Whatta :asshat2:

Share info, offer opinion, make suggestions based on what works for you. That's all good. Slamming everyone else that doesn't do it your way, not so much.

Seems like he violates his own ideas on the "riders that think they know everything" part. ;)

When evaluating other peoples opinions, NEVER forget this creed: "Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and most of them stink."

Which differs slightly from my opinion which is: Most people are assholes who smell funny. :p :D

Wow... cut this old guy some slack. He's been riding nothing but BMW's all these years afterall.

He does make some valid points and gives some good advice.

Motorcycling IS risky. It always has been and always will be. Yes, my Ipod, GPS, tank bag with a map in it all do take my eyes off the road from time to time. Hey, it's a risk. I know that. Some people don't. Some people on bikes out there are pretty dumb, and maybe this old dude will give them something to think about.

Hey I think I know that guy, Jeff Dean isn't he Jimmy Deans cousin the sausage maker guy
Or..., is it James Dean (the guy who killed himself in a Porsche somewhere in SoCal?) -- or is it Jesse James? I don't know, I get them all confused....? :unsure:

I do know: this Dean guy is about as old as they come, kind'a weird, and may suffer from "Hardening of the Attitude"? :rolleyes:

3668688231_7b2c8d6034.jpg