I just bought a ticker....I think

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm204

Reaction score
Bought my 2003 FJR last week with 3374 miles on the odo and have since put 200 miles on it. Started it up today and for the first time, I heard a ticking. Its louder right about 2000 rpm than at idle. It sounds just like the files I listened to on here. I'M PISSED. why didn't it make this sound last week? I would not have bought the bike. Is it even worth trying to get Yamaha to fix it or is it a lost cause on a 7 year old bike?

Are there any dealers in NJ or PA that people have had good luck with getting a ticker fixed on Yamaha's dime? I love the bike but I want it to be right.

PIM,

Make sure your RPM is at least 1100 RPM for if it is lower, you can get Ticker like sounds. Also, make sure your Oil is up to level.

Generally speaking, these are too few miles for something like this or a Timing Chain Tensioner to go bad. This usually occurs past the 15k mile mark.

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and see if it helps. I'm probably going to use Rotella, I've had good luck with it in other bikes, just not sure if I should use the 5w-40 or the 15w-40. I did switch to regular and the previous owner said he only used premium.

+1 - with less than 3500 miles how would the valve guides have worn already.

Either your bike is fine or the PO lied about the mileage.

Yep!

Most tickers weren't exhibiting the symptoms before 15K miles.

Are you sure it's not the cam chain. These engines tend to be a bit noisy on the right side, and that's the cam mechanicals. The tick USUALLY started on the #1 or #2 cylinder so the noise was in the upper left engine compartment.

Yep!

Most tickers weren't exhibiting the symptoms before 15K miles.

Are you sure it's not the cam chain. These engines tend to be a bit noisy on the right side, and that's the cam mechanicals. The tick USUALLY started on the #1 or #2 cylinder so the noise was in the upper left engine compartment.
Do tickers get "worse" at higher RPM?

well if there are any ticker experts near NJ, I'd love to get a second opinion. I'm fairly confident the owner did not lie about the mileage. Still has the original tires with 50% life in them and it couldn't be in better condition. it is MINT. It is entirely possible the noise is normal and I am just overly paranoid. But I would like an FJRexpert to listen to it, any volunteers?

Do tickers get "worse" at higher RPM?
Mine didn't. Ticking has never led to sudden-catastrophic-engine-failure. It gets progressively worse until the bad valve guide(s) allow oil to pass into the exhaust. Mine was repaired @ 27K...45K miles ago.

OTH, a bad cam chain tensioner can cause bad things. Ask Radio Howie.

well if there are any ticker experts near NJ, I'd love to get a second opinion. I'm fairly confident the owner did not lie about the mileage. Still has the original tires with 50% life in them and it couldn't be in better condition. it is MINT. It is entirely possible the noise is normal and I am just overly paranoid. But I would like an FJRexpert to listen to it, any volunteers?
Hmmmm...if it spent a lot of time sitting you might consider a little Rislone or some other chemical (top oil?) to see if a little extra lubrication might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my 2003 FJR last week with 3374 miles on the odo and have since put 200 miles on it. Started it up today and for the first time, I heard a ticking. Its louder right about 2000 rpm than at idle. It sounds just like the files I listened to on here. I'M PISSED. why didn't it make this sound last week? I would not have bought the bike. Is it even worth trying to get Yamaha to fix it or is it a lost cause on a 7 year old bike?
Are there any dealers in NJ or PA that people have had good luck with getting a ticker fixed on Yamaha's dime? I love the bike but I want it to be right.
Damn, 3.3k miles on a 7 year old bike, that's just shameful, what a waste, but a good deal for you.

I recon your new FJR is just pissed, and is trying to tell you, the new owner to go and ride the hell out of it, like it was meant to be ridden or else. As far as I'm concerned at 3.3k miles this engine is not even broken in yet!

Perhaps, a little info-overload has led to this perceived fear issue, which may just be regular engine noise.

When you read so much, you are mentally looking for something that maybe just what you fear it to be.

When I got mine at 10k, engine sounded like music to my ears, then I read more and more, and could swear I was hearing the dreaded ticking.....

Well, 12k miles and 10months later, it's all good.

Just ride it out.

^^True dat! Good point!

I just bought my immaculate '05 with <4400 mi 2 weeks ago Sunday. After reading all the shit about ticking here, clattering there, and spiders abound....I'm now positive mine is about to blow up by the weeks end. Now, I'm a few steps closer to the "Fuck it, ride it like you stole it" mentality. I think that's what it needs and if it does 'splode into a million pieces, there's nothin' I can do about right now! :lol:

Stick a little Marvel's Mystery Oil in there and see what happens.

You should be using the 15w-40. Originally Yamaha recommended 20w-40 (which only Yamaha made!!) so the 5w-40 would be too thin, methinks.

well if there are any ticker experts near NJ, I'd love to get a second opinion.
It is entirely possible the noise is normal and I am just overly paranoid. But I would like an FJRexpert to listen to it, any volunteers?

I'm in NJ and ride an 03 as well. I'd welcome the meet up to listen to each others bikes.

I'm in Morris County, you?

I just changed my oil with Shell Rotella 15w/40 and a Supertech 7317 filter. I also added about 4 ounces of STP oil treatment which is high in ZDP. Threw a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. We'll see if it quiets at all, gets worse, or stays the same.

I just changed my oil with Shell Rotella 15w/40 and a Supertech 7317 filter. I also added about 4 ounces of STP oil treatment which is high in ZDP. Threw a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. We'll see if it quiets at all, gets worse, or stays the same.
I think I shall do something similar

You should be using the 15w-40. Originally Yamaha recommended 20w-40 (which only Yamaha made!!) so the 5w-40 would be too thin, methinks.
Not really. Multi-viscosity ratings do not work that way, especially when comparing conventional and synthetic oils. The second number (40 in this case) is the oil's viscosity at full temp. This will also be the thinnest that the oil will ever get since all oil thins as it is heated. So long as the 2nd number is OK, you are pretty much good.

The first number represents the viscosity when cold. The lower that number is the less the oil will thicken when cold as compared to hot. Even a 5 weight oil is thicker when cold than a 40 weight oil is when hot. No magic oil has yet to be invented that thickens when heated. ;)

So, that 5W40 oil will be roughly the same viscosity as the 15W40 when the engine is warmed up, which is when it really counts, and will not thicken as much when cold, so theoretically would give superior protection during cold starts.

I still use 15W40 Rotella T because I genrally don't flog my bike when cold, and I'm a cheap bastid.

No magic oil has yet to be invented that thickens when heated. ;)
True -- but, oil thickens (viscosity becomes greater) when it oxidizes and the addition of heat often hastens that process.

Otherwise, you're right-on on all other counts.

(maybe, even, that last comment, too... :) )