I Need New Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some Gore-tex lined boots. After about eighteen months, they started leaking. They were outside the manufacturer's guarantee period, but Gore authorised a new replacement pair. They honour their life-time no-leak warranty.

Has anyone tried the Klim Outlander GTX boot? Comfort? Longevity? Waterproof?

Seems to be a decent design as an on or off bike boot - but only if it fulfills the primary mission.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_boots/adventure_enduro_off_road_boots/klim/outlander_gtx_boot.html

Outlander_GTX_Boot_3926-000_Brown__9_.jpg

Has anyone tried the Klim Outlander GTX boot? Comfort? Longevity? Waterproof?Seems to be a decent design as an on or off bike boot - but only if it fulfills the primary mission.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_boots/adventure_enduro_off_road_boots/klim/outlander_gtx_boot.html

Outlander_GTX_Boot_3926-000_Brown__9_.jpg
I believe when I was riding Death Valley last month I seen Russperry had a pair of black Outlander GTX boots. I asked him about them and he said he was very happy with them, they were very comfy, and loved the BOA lacing system, I really liked the looks of them and would love to try a pair but I'm not sure what I would use them for. They did not appear to provide the protection I would like for riding my dual sport off road in the gnarly stuff. At 7 inches tall I would be afraid of water entering under my pants and into the top of the boot while riding in the rain if my pants rode up a bit.

Like everything involving motorcycling, boots are a compromise. If your priority is comfort, ease of off the bike walking, good looks, and you don't need heavy ankle protection for riding off road in the gnarly stuff, I think they would be a great boot. I'm very tempted to try them out. On my Tenere and dual sport bikes, I wear stiff protective boots like my Sidi Adventure or Sidi Discovery boots and sometimes these bikes take me to places that provide hikes to scenic views. For these rides, a comfortable walking boot like the Outlander might be the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother bought the Klim Outlander GTX boot and was showing them to me last weekend. He loves them! Says they're light, great to ride with and walk on. I read a review of a guy who rode a 7000 mile trip with them. Said they were excellent, but had to constantly make sure his gore tex riding pants were over the boot correctly or he would get water in through the top. The back of the boot is a little low, but manageable.

I have a pair of Gaerne leather boots I bought in 2004 and they've be good, but the sole has a hole in it. They weren't waterproof. Definitely Gore-Tex for me this time. I have a C width foot with an A width heel. I'm concerned that the TCX boot may be a little wide for me.

Still looking.....

Thanks for all the advice. Please pass on any more of your wisdom.

Just not in the HD color scheme above?
How About:
Outlander_GTX_Boot_3926-000_Black_09.jpeg_1.70_jpeg.jpg

although the brown is OK too
Hard to tell but they look more like hiking boots than riding boots. Kind of low and no apparent shin protection. It says it had D30 protection so that's some kind of soft armor, I guess.

The TCX X-Five's have hard armor (on both sides of the ankle and in the shin) and are taller. I still wore them to work without an issue.

7105G_X-FIVE4GORE-TEX_BLACK-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

Yes, not much protection for shins and might not keep feet dry if the pant cuffs rife up. On the other hand, they might be better for walking while providing waterproof protection to feet and ankles. Might give these some consideration if I can find out how durable they might be. Klim generally sells good stuff...

Right now I'm leaning toward Alpinestars Air Plus v2 XCR Gore-Tex boots. I'm really grateful for all the suggestions. I really liked the Sidi idea until I saw the $500 price tag. I don't even like myself THAT much. Still investigating and love to hear what has worked for others over the years. Thank you.