I Rode today on Rte 66

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrboomer

Reaction score
It was 64, sunny and a little windy (20-35 mph) so I took advantage of the good weather and rode one of my favorite local rides. Rte 66 from Edmond, OK to Bristow, OK. It has a number of lazy curves and a couple marked 45 & 50 mph. I know for many of you that is not much but in central OK we have to take what we can get. The road is generally in good condition and is two lane with moderate hills. Speed limit varies by county but most of it is marked 65 mph.

I live about 1 1/2 miles from Rte 66 in Edmond so it is easily accessible for me. My first stop was at Pop's, a restaurant/gas station in Arcadia which has become a big stopping place for bikers and recently helicopters. They land in a field adjacent to the place. The food is good and they offer soft drinks from all over the country. I think there are over a 100 brands. They also offer beer. There were two helicopters taking off as I arrived. Now you talk about an expensive hobby, flying one of those things has to require very deep pockets.

Just about a mile past Pop's is the Arcadia round barn. It has been fully restored and has become another tourist attraction. I continued on to Chandler, OK where the Lincoln Motel is located. It is original to the old highway and consists of individual cottages which was the norm back in the 30's and 40's. It is still operated and has been updated to include a/c, refrigerators and cable TV. It is also popular with tourist as a stop over.

I continued on through Stroud, OK to Bristow, OK which is about 65 miles from my home. I returned by the same route as it is the best and most direct except for I 44, which is a toll road and straight as an arrow. Our state has the distinction of having the most miles of toll roads in the country. The first one was built in the early 1950's.

The temp guage on the FJR registered between 64 and 68 for the entire trip. Not bad when you consider I was chipping ice off my drive Wednesday. It will cool off tonight but the high tomorrow will still be in the 50's. I took some pics of the trip but being one of the old guys and not CP smart I have not figured out how to include them yet. Perhaps some day I will master this new technology before I die of old age.

Oh well, I can tell you I had a nice day and kept a smile on my face most of it. Life must be good. I wish those of you up north or back east who are suffering with the effects of winter could have joined me. :yahoo:

Well, I was cleaning up the branches in the yard and the neighbor's yard (she's a young 83) that came down in the ice storm, so ran out of daylight before I could get the bike out. Maybe tomorrow I can ride before the weather shifts...

Is Pop's the new place they built that sort of looks like a Coke bottle?

Thanks for the ride report....I would love to ride Rt66 on a bike............i'll do it someday

Here Ya go Boomer, I'll loan ya one of my shots of RT 66.

Lot of history connected to that road. Fun for an afternoon ride, seems I can find something new each time I go.

IMG_0648.jpg

jnor that is a pop bottle and it lights up at night changing colors. Pop's is about two years old. It has really caught on around here as a destination place for bikers and for others too. airboss thanks for the pic. Hopefully I will figure out how to upload them to this site so I can share pics also.

fjrb0 I am sorry you had to work all day Saturday and hopefully you got to ride today. It sure improves ones attitude when you can get out and ride.

jnor that is a pop bottle and it lights up at night changing colors. Pop's is about two years old. It has really caught on around here as a destination place for bikers and for others too. airboss thanks for the pic. Hopefully I will figure out how to upload them to this site so I can share pics also.
fjrb0 I am sorry you had to work all day Saturday and hopefully you got to ride today. It sure improves ones attitude when you can get out and ride.
A short one, about a 30 mile loop. But getting my work done around the house for a longer run when it warms up some! Weather wasn't bad today, but finishing up the yard work and fence repair....

I started to post some pics of Rt. 66 out in Arizona from last year...but too lazy!

I was having problems posting photos linked to Picasa and am trying Photobucket. Below is a photo shot January 30, 2009 on the west coast end of Route 66 in Helendale, CA. Molly Browns Country Cafe is a great place for breakfast or lunch.

january2009e042.jpg

The ride from Apple Valley to Barstow on Route 66 was a fun break in ride on my new 2009 FJR1300A. :bike:

Recreate thanks for you pic and your new ride looks great. I am at a total loss for how to get pics into this forum. I am going to have to do some research so I can post my pics. Computers do not come easy for some of us old guys.