I suppose it had to happen sooner or later....dropped my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolman

Reaction score
I was pulling out of a parking spot, rolling on the throttle into a lean when the bike stalled. As soon as the motor quit I went down. The mirror took most of the damage. The side bag is scuffed as well but thankfully the sider protected the faring. This isn't the only time the motor has quit on me when starting out. I had let the bike warm up for about 30 seconds before I took off but I guess I need to give it some more time.

Any idea on how much it costs to replace the mirror??

motorcycle-10.jpg

motorcycle-2.jpg

motorcycle-6.jpg

motorcycle-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That stinks! Your sliders saved it from a lot more damage. :blink:

I have dropped my last two street bikes... some times more than once. The FeeJ is far more top heavier then my other bikes, and thank God I have not dropped it.... yet. I hope that never happens. :dribble:

Sorry to hear bout that. Dropped my old bike once in a similar situation. Coulda been worse, but I know your frustrated.

I let mine get away from me while parking it, before frame sliders and you did save yourself from a lot more damage at 3 different points on the fairing. As a friend of mine said, "Now it's really your bike!"

I let mine get away from me while parking it, before frame sliders and you did save yourself from a lot more damage at 3 different points on the fairing. As a friend of mine said, "Now it's really your bike!"

Now it has character. At least your sliders have more than paid for themselves already.

Probably a good time to consider the FZ1 mirrors, which are cheaper and apparently let you see things other than your elbows.

Now it has character. At least your sliders have more than paid for themselves already.
Probably a good time to consider the FZ1 mirrors, which are cheaper and apparently let you see things other than your elbows.
That's not a bad idea. I did add some aftermarket mirrors just so I could get a better view.

I was pulling out of a parking spot, rolling on the throttle into a lean when the bike stalled. As soon as the motor quit I went down. The mirror took most of the damage. The side bag is scuffed as well but thankfully the sider protected the faring. This isn't the only time the motor has quit on me when starting out. I had let the bike warm up for about 30 seconds before I took off but I guess I need to give it some more time.
Any idea on how much it costs to replace the mirror??

motorcycle-10.jpg

motorcycle-2.jpg

motorcycle-6.jpg

motorcycle-7.jpg

Stay with the stock mirrors. The others make the bike look like s--t.

Sorry about the drop. But I would be more interested in why it stalled?

I do think there was a problem on the o6. You may want to check the tech area about that problem...

jcolman, I have a slightly used, dropped once only right mirror in my garage. Fewer scratches than yours -

However - I would reccomend switching to the FZ1 mirrors - (NOT some EBAY junk) get them from Mike Kolstad at University motors - still a good price.

I have an 06, they mount up just fine, and I'm running the Soltek mounts as well. It's nice having the mirrors become a useful part of the bike, unlike the stock mirrors.

Besides, I know what my elbows look like.

306903025_6PKUx-XL.jpg

I do think there was a problem on the o6. You may want to check the tech area about that problem...
07's Have a recall on the ECU which casuses stalls at altitude

I had the ECU recall done. I think the throttle bodies may need adjusting. A couple of times lately, the bike doesn't want to run right for the first minute of riding. The motor acts like it's fuel starved or not getting enough air. Then it will clear up and run like a scalded dog.

Same thing happened to me in the North Georgia Mountains riding with MR Twisty. Mirror cost was $75.00 at the local dealer. Easy item to install. Mirror came painted and looks good as new until my next mishap.

Oh by the way, thanks MR Twisty for not saying anything on this board.

Just bought a replacement OEM mirror for a Gen 1, cost me $84. Doesn't really seem worth it.

my 06 stalled a couple of times same conditions starting off and turning died like you turned the key off never figured out what happened. nearly dropped bike both times had a sore ankle from catching bike one of the times just luck I didnt crash

Same story with my 07, except I believe it was my error that caused the stall while I was turning a hard right. I fought the bike going over, but gravity won ... the thing is, there was no damage ... not the mirror or the bag. I had the bike up so fast, and I didn't even look at the plastic till I got home. When I couldn't find even a scrach I could hardly believe it. The only thing I can figure is that I must have just simply set it down. Happened so fast. Slight blemish on the bottom of the slider, that's it. It's a horrible sensation when you hit that event horizon, and you know it's going over ... I feel for ya.

I thought about the mirror replacement from the Fz. But the number of a-holes with after market hid's on their cars and trucks makes me glad I can block the lights with my elbows on the way home at night. If I wanna do a check I will dip my arm a bit. Durring the daylight though I do wish I didn't have to. Especially after I just out the genmar's on, no I see a lot of elbow and handlebar, which I didn't before. Oh well its more ergo comfy anyway.