I used a non-OEM oil filter...hope my bike doesn't blow up!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gen2 Bin O' Facts IMHO should be used as a general reference, not as a specification reference. Especially for aftermarket things like oil filters. Several of the ones I still use have been line out for no known reason other than panic. It's a simple thing to look at the filter prior to purchasing to see if it will fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a replacement for the Yamaha filter on Amazon $9.19 with free shipping for Prime members. Same size as the older larger filter.

Hiflofiltro HF 148 replaces FJR OEM filter.

This is a replacement for the Yamaha filter on Amazon $9.19 with free shipping for Prime members. Same size as the older larger filter.

Hiflofiltro HF 148 replaces FJR OEM filter.
Keeping in mind there are 2 different Yamaha OEM filters. There was much gnashing of teeth and boo-hooing at the time of the change from factory supplied long (like the HF148, M1-110, etc.) to the short (HF204, M1-108, etc.). Then the panic kicked in and rather be sensible about it everything was lined out as "unsuitable". I still use any of the 4 I listed above, I just look in the box before purchasing to make sure it's still an innie.

If folks want to permanently solve the problem and use any filter innie or outie, search for NormKern's union bolt mod.

It's no secret that leaking oil filters have been a problem for years on this forum.

Hmm: here's a dumb question...

Anybody ever consider slapping a used oil filter gasket on the leaking filter? Seems to me that this would take up the clearance, stop the leak and fix the problem. Free, simple, and quick???

It's no secret that leaking oil filters have been a problem for years on this forum.

Anybody ever consider slapping a used oil filter gasket on the leaking filter? Seems to me that this would take up the clearance, stop the leak and fix the problem. Free, simple, and quick???
Did that by accident on my Honda NC700x. Gasket stayed on when removed old filter and did not notice it. Didn't leak at first start up but revved if a few times, heard a pop, oil all over.

Did that by accident on my Honda NC700x. Gasket stayed on when removed old filter and did not notice it. Didn't leak at first start up but revved if a few times, heard a pop, oil all over.
Same thing happened on my cage. Not going to do that again.

Same thing happened on my cage. Not going to do that again.
Never done it on a vehicle but saw the results one time on a 250 hp air compressor. Same spin-on type filter, only bigger, maintenance guy left the old filter gasket on. I recall it seemed like it took microseconds to puke out 15 gallons of oil.

I used Purolator filters for years until they started leaking...switched to K & N with the hex nut and no leaks...

I agree, Double gasket is a plan for failure. Saw it happen on my dad's Chrysler 5th Avenue, after a few hundred miles the gasket let loose. Oil everywhere.

Guess I was right: dumb question. Not one of my brighter moments: not worth taking the chance
sad.png

About 18 months ago I picked up a 6-pack of Mobil 1MC-134 oil filters on eBay for $59.

Cheapest I find now is 1/$15.40.

I road tested one on Lucille: changed it out before her adoption ride from SoCal to Seattleish.

I use them on all three bikes with no problems.

So far...