I want/need a local tech session near Philadephia - who wants to join me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I can't help with anything mechanical, I'm very interested in attending. I need some help with the way my GPS wiring is routed. Anything I can learn about this bike is a good thing.
But I've got plans the last weekend of April - taking my son to WV... any other weekend in April is good.
I can help with the electricals, that's easy. Tires, brakes, fork oil and springs, changing the rear shock, and almost anything electrical I can handle. If I do wind up doing the valve check my self, I'll invite you to attend (and I'll be happy to walk through the electrical stuff with you). B
Cool! There's a relatively new member on here from this area - if this happens, I'll PM him to see if he wants to come along...

Hey, I just remembered... I have a Murph's kit cruise control lying around too (if you're feeling really adventurous!)

Quote:"Hey, I just remembered... I have a Murph's kit cruise control lying around too (if you're feeling really adventurous!)"

Not that adventurous! I too have a CCs100 layin around somewhere, I'll probably buy a 14 before I get to install that.

Thanks for the offer of the carbtune, I have one of those too. As well as a mity-mite brake bleeder, so I'm pretty well set for tools. What I lack is confidence cracking open an engine. I'll work on that.

While I can't help with anything mechanical, I'm very interested in attending. I need some help with the way my GPS wiring is routed. Anything I can learn about this bike is a good thing.
But I've got plans the last weekend of April - taking my son to WV... any other weekend in April is good.
I can help with the electricals, that's easy. Tires, brakes, fork oil and springs, changing the rear shock, and almost anything electrical I can handle. If I do wind up doing the valve check my self, I'll invite you to attend (and I'll be happy to walk through the electrical stuff with you). B
Cool! There's a relatively new member on here from this area - if this happens, I'll PM him to see if he wants to come along...

Hey, I just remembered... I have a Murph's kit cruise control lying around too (if you're feeling really adventurous!)
Would that new member be from Bear Delaware? And is he ridin a real purdy Red 2004?

I don't think so - this member is from the Wilmington/New Castle area and has a 2006 (Blue). He was asking about wind screen alternatives and I told him he could try mine if/when this weather ever decides to get the f.... I mean clear out.

I'm down like four flat tires if the date is right.. Unfortunately, I'm only free the last weekend (4/25-27) I'm coming from Wilmington, DE. I'd like to see how the valves are done also. I'll help wherever needed. I may need to mount a front tire also. Let me know the date you were thinking of.

Hmmm, 350 miles from NH.... But, also NYC and a good chunk of NJ in between the two points.

Which ever bike is going to have a valve check done should be at room temperature before doing the check. Service manuals usually specify some temperature range like 65º - 85º but Yamaha just says a cold engine at room temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, 350 miles from NH.... But, also NYC and a good chunk of NJ in between the two points.
Which ever bike is going to have a valve check done should be at room temperature before doing the check. Service manuals usually specify some temperature range like 65º - 85º but Yamaha just says a cold engine at room temperature.
Sounds like an overnight stay is in order...

NYC and NJ are good reasons to take the long way around. I don't even like driving through in my cager.
Riding in/around/through Manhattan is survival training on an FJR. Truckers complain about the roads in Penna, Ridin to New York through North Jersey is an experience to be missed if at all possible. NY State is great (if you can avoid the safety patrols), Jersey is rough traveling.

Riding in/around/through Manhattan is survival training on an FJR. Truckers complain about the roads in Penna, Ridin to New York through North Jersey is an experience to be missed if at all possible. NY State is great (if you can avoid the safety patrols), Jersey is rough traveling.
I lived in Palisades, NY and Mountain View NJ; my parents lived in Princeton NJ for quit a while so I had plenty of opportunity to enjoy this area. My mother lives in Knoxville and when I go to visit her I take the way westerly route to avoid all of that good fun. I can't seem to ride through NY without getting stopped, in fact my last ticket was written by a NY Trooper. While living in NY I managed to get my right to drive revoked because of constant Imperial Entanglements.

If I can get a day off in my schedule and a hole in the weather I'm thinking that I may get my first longish ride of the year down your way. The trick will be figuring out some fancy routing.

I lived in Palisades, NY and Mountain View NJ; my parents lived in Princeton NJ for quit a while so I had plenty of opportunity to enjoy this area. My mother lives in Knoxville and when I go to visit her I take the way westerly route to avoid all of that good fun. I can't seem to ride through NY without getting stopped, in fact my last ticket was written by a NY Trooper. While living in NY I managed to get my right to drive revoked because of constant Imperial Entanglements.

If I can get a day off in my schedule and a hole in the weather I'm thinking that I may get my first longish ride of the year down your way. The trick will be figuring out some fancy routing.
Ferry to and from NH to Philadelphia?

Interesting...I don't know what to tell you. We go up to Americade every year. For shits and giggles, I like to run up the GSP to the Thruway getting into NY State. I can never seem to find the time to run backroads getting to a destination. The fancy routing might just be Route 202 towards my neck o' the woods.

Ferry to and from NH to Philadelphia?
They have a ferry that runs that route??? I'd take it! Inquiring minds wanna know.

NYC and NJ are good reasons to take the long way around. I don't even like driving through in my cager.
Being stuck out on this overcrowded sandbar I've got (sadly) a few experiences with this. I've got family down in N.C. and the thought of getting through the city at most times has stopped me from taking the bike. This year though I'm going to make more of an effort to get out and explore some of PA if I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife grew up on your sandbar. I've been trying to convince her to take a trip down memory lane but to no avail. I've found the bike to be a great advantage in the city, I can cut through traffic pretty easily, it's the surrounding areas that make me crazy. One of these days we'll make it back to Great Neck....

I went to Sag Harbor once...
_DSC5889asm.jpg

March of the wide-bodies down to the Atlantic, England is just over the horizon ;)

DSC_5925SM.jpg

Go southwest, then south... in that order.