I want/need a local tech session near Philadephia - who wants to join me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife grew up on your sandbar. I've been trying to convince her to take a trip down memory lane but to no avail. I've found the bike to be a great advantage in the city, I can cut through traffic pretty easily, it's the surrounding areas that make me crazy. One of these days we'll make it back to Great Neck....
I've ridden through the city and boros a bit and you're right, the bike does make it easier (although something like the small 'Strom is much, much better suited for that 'adventure') but it's trying to get back through there after a long day of riding that doesn't sit well. You're sorta drained at that point and just want to get home and that's not an area where you want to let your guard down.

Getting back to your valve check, others have given you good tips and I'd like to add one ref. having the O-rings on hand. Went down the local plumbing aisle and picked up a box each of #14s and #18s for the pipes. $2-something for a box of 10. 14s worked great but the 18s jumped up in thickness from 1/8" to 3/16". Didn't think it would matter but couldn't get the thermostat housing on no how. Checked other stores but they were all stocked by the same vendor so ended up going to the local dealer who had an OEM ring in stock. Over five bucks for a lousy rubber and he had to blow the dust off to see the part number but it all went right back together afterwards. P/n 93210-23787 if you need although maybe by now there's a new updated blue-dot version or something.

Will be watching to see if you pick a date. Time to break out the Met gear anyways.
smile.png

BTW - I may be interested in some of the Autocom bits-n-pieces you listed for sale... I have a mic out on one of my helmets - not sure if it needs replacing or what.

Glad I found this thread...I'm only about an hour north of you and would be very interested in running down there for a tech day.

The Good News - I have the exact same bike as you and did my own valve check (no adjustment needed) last summer.

The Bad News - My short-term memory isn't worth a sh*t! However I did take notes.

BTW - I love the idea of tech days. I went to the tech day in Christiansburg a couple years ago and even though I didn't actually do anything to my own bike and mostly just ended up watching other guys, I found it a real confidence booster. Since then, as I mentioned above, I've not only done my own valve check, but also changed out my CCT, removed my PAIR system...even installed an Audiovox CC as well as doing all the simpler maintenance stuff myself. I've gotten a real feeling of satisfaction from all that as well as saving quite a bit of coin along the way. I never would have attempted some of those projects without that tech day and this forum. The help here is invaluable.

So I would say go ahead and pick a date. Unfortunately I am out of town the 2nd and 3rd weekends in April, but if that works for everybody else, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ionbeam, on 18 Mar 2014 - 16:53, said:

If I can get a day off in my schedule and a hole in the weather I'm thinking that I may get my first longish ride of the year down your way. The trick will be figuring out some fancy routing.

Alan, I'd like to see that fancy routing when you get it figured out; I've been trying to figure that out for a few different jaunts I'd like to take in that direction.

Cool Beans. I'll post up a date in the next week or two. Probably an early Sunday am in April. I'll do a valve check and probably PAIR system removal. Anybody who wants to watch, participate, or just hang is welcome. Tire changer is available, some tools available but prefer you bring your own. (I've got everything you'll need to change & balance tires (except of course the hoops). Will confirm shortly.

BTW - I may be interested in some of the Autocom bits-n-pieces you listed for sale... I have a mic out on one of my helmets - not sure if it needs replacing or what.
Newark is darn close. Lemme know if you wanna ride up (I have a half ton of stuff and since I've gone to Bluetooth I don't have much use for it).

Most excellent - I'll be watching the weather over the next couple weeks. I can be there in about an hour if I take the direct route, a little over an hour if I take the road less traveled.

Cool Beans. I'll post up a date in the next week or two. Probably an early Sunday am in April. I'll do a valve check and probably PAIR system removal. Anybody who wants to watch, participate, or just hang is welcome. Tire changer is available, some tools available but prefer you bring your own. (I've got everything you'll need to change & balance tires (except of course the hoops). Will confirm shortly.
Uh...Bump??

Sorry...Life has gotten pretty complicated lately. As soon as I can find my way clear, I'll post up.

In the meantime....There's a couple other tech sessions within a day's ride (Northern NY, Virginia this weekend, Bust's party next month).

Check out the forum for details...Baz

Anybody around the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend? 5/24/14

Next weekend (5/17) is taken, the following weekend (5/31) is prep for Americade.

I think that's the ticket. I'll probably get a jump start removing the fairings Friday night and cleaning the bike so it's not such a filthy job.

Anyone who wants to observe or participate is welcome. I also have a tire changing machine if anyone wants to change and balance tires.

Baz

Wish I could make it but count me out. Riding in the Mason Dixon 20-20 rally that weekend.

Shame too, because after that weekend I'm going to need to mount the new PR2's I already bought and change fluids and filters.

Probably works for me (5-24 Sat). I'm prepping to check (and adjust ??) my valves at 30K miles, IN MY GARAGE in Richmond. Really would like to watch you first! And a nice 600 mile day!

Stuart

Hey guys... am i too late to maybe join this party?? i am not positive i can do 5/24 yet due to tentative camping trip every year memorial day weekend... I would have to delay that a bit... but i am definitely interested in stopping by if I can... live nearby (DE)... never did a valve check but want to learn how.... i did remove the pair system before... and i might have a new tire in hand by that point that i will need to change .... never did that either.... thanks for considering another "helper"....

Hey Guys. Apologies. Family emergency forces me to cancel this weekends tech session. I'll pm those expected to attend. Sorry. Enjoy the long weekend. Baz