I will NEVER buy a new FJR again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because the price of slightly used ones is just insane! Seriously, $9k for one with 18K miles? $5k for a fully loaded 06? $11K for a 2015?
My 08 has 32K miles on it, just barely broken in, and I would guess it is worth no more than $6k despite all the goodies. At that price, cheaper to keep her, even just as a back up bike when buddies come into town. If I ever decide to hop on the new FJR bandwagon, I am going with slightly used or leftover and deeply discounted late model.
When you have 8 or is it 9 bikes in your garage, you have to buy used. Mr. I Got To Sell Some Of These Bikes, oh, look and Triumph Dayton 500 with low miles, I've got to have it.
not_i.gif
Rock on my bike buying friend.
punk.gif

I was like Fred when I bought mine. I had wanted an FJR for some time and told my friends "If the FJR had cruise control I'd buy one." I saw in '13 that they'd added cruise control; I bought one.

I know I could have waited one year and found a left over '13, but I was newly retired and didn't want to give up that year of ownership.

When I bought in 05 there wasn't much option but buy new. Last year I found a fair deal on a pristine 13 from a guy I knew so I bought used and saved a bunch over new.

But all bikes are in the same bind, a good friend is trying to sell a 2014 HD Electra glide he paid 26k for and hasn't had any lookers at 12k.

When I bought in 05 there wasn't much option but buy new. Last year I found a fair deal on a pristine 13 from a guy I knew so I bought used and saved a bunch over new. But all bikes are in the same bind, a good friend is trying to sell a 2014 HD Electra glide he paid 26k for and hasn't had any lookers at 12k.
Gotta agree with Fred. My spyder had a msrp of 32k , I paid 21k added 4k in farkles rode it 13k and felt lucky when it finally sold for 18.5k. Picked up a low mile wing for well below book. In this market used is the way to go unless you just have to have new.

I like new stuff!!

I agree! I like buying new and then I typically keep it for a very long time! I have a 2006 Ford Mustang convertible that I bought new and I now have 174,000 miles on it! My wife loves her 2011 Honda Pilot, which now has 134,000 miles on it (lots of trips to CA to visit family). I bought my 2015 FJR1300 as brand new in Sept 2016 for $11,000. I ride it everywhere, including commuting to work and long trips. I just completed the 16k service on it. When you buy it new, you know how well it is maintained. If you take care of it, you can get a lot of miles out of vehicles today.

You outta see how much the BMW's drop once they're past th 3yr warranty. Ouch!!

My friend bought a BMW (used). He loved the bike and the way it rode. He sold it because he kept having problems with it and every time, it was very expensive to repair. I tried to get him to buy an FJR, but he bought a Harley instead.

The last time I bought a used motorcycle was a 1970 Honda CB750 in July of 1972, only because I could not afford new at the time. Every bike since, brand new (1979 Yamaha XS1100F, 1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S, 2003 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours, 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A). I was NOT going to wait on the 2014, as soon as I could get one I did. 33,000 miles later I'm glad I did and wouldn't have it any other way.

Dan

The last time I bought a used motorcycle was a 1970 Honda CB750 in July of 1972, only because I could not afford new at the time. Every bike since, brand new (1979 Yamaha XS1100F, 1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S, 2003 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours, 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A). I was NOT going to wait on the 2014, as soon as I could get one I did. 33,000 miles later I'm glad I did and wouldn't have it any other way.
Dan
I don't blame you. The number of posts in the FJR forums by people wanting to avoid even the most inexpensive services makes me question every used one on the market that doesn't include a folder of the complete service history.

I just joined. I got me a 2006 fjr with 6532 miles Saturday for 3800$. It came with a new set of tires , some oil filters and a full service manual.

the top box too i am not sure if it came with the bike, the color matched big monster.

I was at the right place at the right time because someone was in the middle of trading in an 05 FJR at a Harley dealer while I was there. They gave the guy $1200 and I bought it off the dealer for $1500. Bike is beautiful shape and runs great.

I was at the right place at the right time because someone was in the middle of trading in an 05 FJR at a Harley dealer while I was there. They gave the guy $1200 and I bought it off the dealer for $1500. Bike is beautiful shape and runs great.
Best deal I've seen so far. Congrats!!!

Score!

--G

I've bought both new and used bikes and had varying degrees of success with both. My FJR also came from a Harley dealer but fortunately I was working there at the time. It was traded in August 2012 toward a new HD StreetGlide and I was able to use my employee discount and get it for trade plus about 300 bucks.

I very nearly bought a 2014 new because even to this day I love that color. If Mama Yama ever decides to paint the FJR in Kenny Roberts livery........Well I'm fooked!

Strange -

I just went to the Yamaha website and did a inventory search on 2017FJRes.

It showed 3 in the state of Florida!

Can that be correct?

The dealer I frequent is more of an off road and four wheeler dealer. Street bikes are not that big a part of their business.

I am pretty sure the 2013 FJR I got from them new was the last one they had in stock. I have never seen another in their show room since.

I am surprised it's not discontinued.

I buy new and do not keep the bike after the warranty is over. So I typically have the kind of bike you say you want to buy. But even with under 15k on the clock, many can't afford to buy without a loan. You ask $9k for a three year old bike with msrp of $18k, and all the "schmaaart money" ties to whittle further for farkles. In my view, further for farkles is like coo coo for coco puffs. Aside from a RDL seat and a touring windshield, I can't think of one truly useful or necessary gadget to stick on and add clutter.

So I like to buy the $18k bike as a leftover for $13k to $14k, and then trade it later, sometimes two bikes for one. The nearly 10% sales tax ( it is our means of highway robbery) adds to the trade value. No lookie Lous. No test rides. No financing issues. Yada yada yada.

The motorcycle buying public in the US is fickle. I don't know how the importers stay in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
In our market, you pay sales tax when you buy at the dealer but even in a private sale, sales tax is charged when the bike is registered!!! A bike could be purchased and full sales tax paid and then sold privately for 90% of the original price a half year later with the tax collected AGAIN! The exception is trading a bike (or car) at the dealer where you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and new vehicle. Makes buying a (new or used) bike at the dealer better in some ways if you are trading - You will get shafted on the trade-in value and you may pay a premium for a used bike at the dealer but you save on the 15% tax.

Strange -
I just went to the Yamaha website and did a inventory search on 2017FJRes.

It showed 3 in the state of Florida!

Can that be correct?

The dealer I frequent is more of an off road and four wheeler dealer. Street bikes are not that big a part of their business.

I am pretty sure the 2013 FJR I got from them new was the last one they had in stock. I have never seen another in their show room since.

I am surprised it's not discontinued.
I had to order mine. All the dealers in my area said they just couldn't move them. And they are a rarity here. Cruisers, sport bikes, and Goldwings are about all we see.