I will NEVER buy a new FJR again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not taxed on the trade value, so if I trade for $8k, it reduces my OTD cash outlay by about $8700.

This does not impact the dealer. It just impacts how much is due to the state. I owe no tax on the trade value. This works for guitars, guns, stereo equipment, and other stuff too.

The dealer can turn around and get $9500, deal with financing, extended warranties, etc. the margins on new bikes are lousy enough that used bikes can be a profit center for a good dealer.

If you keep the bike too long, either they won't take it in trade, or the book value will be so low as to make trading less viable. Even if your bike is in great condition, what they can buy it from you for is dependent on the bank's loan value unless they're self financed.

Around here you can even trade a bike on a car. There is a local motorcycle buyer who will take it off the car dealer's hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an example, I bought four new motorcycles in the fourth quarter last year.

I traded two for one on the first. I paid cash on the second and third, and I traded even one for one on the fourth.

I could not resist the second and third. There were some big incentives and the bikes were both ones I like to have in my group.

I sold a bike on eBay last month. Nothing but aggravation. It was bought by someone pretending to be in the US. But after it closed, we started trying to work out payment. He clearly wanted it. I took his $500 PayPal deposit. He wired me the funds by a method that was secure to me. We waited three weeks while his agent in Atlanta arranged for pick up. In the end it worked out. But it would have been easier to trade.

But the only dealer who would have given me fair value is 800 miles away, and I would have had to trade for a new Triumph. I don't like the Trophy. I have a Rocket 3 Touring and a Tiger Explorer. I don't need any other new Triumphs. So I sucked it up and went to eBay.

Sidetrack: How has your reliability been on the Triumphs? That Rocket 3 has always caught my eye.

I've owned 4 Rocket III Tourings since they came out in 2008. It's probably my all time favorite, most comfortable bike. I've had one warranty issue (on the 2008), but Triumph took care of it immediately and completely without any whining or waffling. As long as I can deal with an 875 pound motorcycle, I will have one in my group. I've really enjoyed the Tiger Explorer too. And the many Bonnevilles too, although I'm Bonneville free at the moment.

I see the Tiger Explorer as more enjoyable than the Trophy. They have the same engine, but the Trophy is a LOT heavier.

I couldn't afford the insurance on the number of bikes many of you people say you have at the same time so affording the bikes themselves would be out of the question.

Rich people sometimes confuse me.

Yeah, bike insurance isn't that bad here in NH, even though we are just 45 miles north of Boston they treat us like it's a different world. And for some reason they think I can't ride more than one motorcycle at a time, so as you add more bikes on they get progressively cheaper. At one point when my son was still around, I had 4 bikes on the policy and wanted to take one bike off, but that would have actually caused my rate to go up!

There are also no sales taxes here either, but there is a sneaky mill-rate tax that is embedded into the registration fee, The mill-rate is factored by the msrp of the machine and the age of it. $18, 15, 12, 9, 6, or 3 dollars per $1,000 of original list price, as the bike ages. After 6 years it hits minimum $3 and stays the same for the rest of its registered life. Compared to what people pay in other states it's nothing. On an FJR it would be 3 x 16 = $48 per year, and that is tax deductible.

But I'm down to just two bikes these days, and can hardly get out enough on them both to make them both worthwhile, Only about 20k miles last year on the two of them. Maybe if I bought a few more I'd ride more often? I'll have to see if my wife agrees that philosophy.

I couldn't afford the insurance on the number of bikes many of you people say you have at the same time so affording the bikes themselves would be out of the question.
Rich people sometimes confuse me.
It's sometimes just a matter of priorities. I've met people with multiple motorcycles who swear they can't afford health insurance (not aimed at anyone here ;) )

I'm down to three. I guess I need to update my profile. But I only carry liability on two of them. License fees and personal property taxes are negligible. So, they're not expensive to own. And I drive a 14-year-old truck when I drive.

There are also no sales taxes here either, but there is a sneaky mill-rate tax that is embedded into the registration fee, The mill-rate is factored by the msrp of the machine and the age of it.
Ours is that way too but decreases slower. I'm unsure if it ever drops to $3 though. Still and all... cash for all vehicles, mortgage paid off, only utilities and actual living expenses here. Owe no man! Means we live more frugally but we also don't shoulder the burden of crushing dept that many do.

So big surprise Niehart and George: I sold two bikes last week (the new to me Triumph Daytona and the MV Augusta F4). I was half ass thinking about selling both the FJR and the KTM and getting a GS Rally 1200 until I saw both the price of the GS and the book on the FJR. Need to get two more bikes sold, then down to my proper size. Problem with having 8 bikes is no time to properly ride them all.

I won't be selling that Brutale however. Magnificent machine!

And Bounce, the cost per bike to insure goes down dramatically after 2 bikes. First year FJR was like 750, now I insure 7 bikes for that much.

Truly a surprise.

Oh and I will kick your butt if you sell the Brutale. And I'm not saying just because I want to ride it again or maybe I'm saying for that reason.

Matchless ....

So big surprise Niehart and George: I sold two bikes last week (the new to me Triumph Daytona and the MV Augusta F4).
I won't be selling that Brutale however. Magnificent machine!

Consolidation is a good thing Hudson. I do have some recommendations for bikes I'd like to ride that would fill the newly vacated spaces...
rolleyes.gif

--G

No new bikes or cars until I purge a few. I've got my eyes open for something air cooled, flat six. But that will take a while...

There are also no sales taxes here either, but there is a sneaky mill-rate tax that is embedded into the registration fee, The mill-rate is factored by the msrp of the machine and the age of it.
Ours is that way too but decreases slower. I'm unsure if it ever drops to $3 though. Still and all... cash for all vehicles, mortgage paid off, only utilities and actual living expenses here. Owe no man! Means we live more frugally but we also don't shoulder the burden of crushing dept that many do.
I'm with you on most of that, but you have to consider the alternative sometimes too. I still have a mortgage on the house, a lien on my FJR, and I just bought a newer used pickup truck, upgrading my old 2004 F150 to a 2014, and took a loan from the credit union on that too. I could pay off the mortgage and pay cash for the bike and truck from savings, but when they want to give you their money at 2% and your investments are rolling along at 10% or better, it makes better sense to use their money. Still, the frugal man's life is typically a much happier one than the debters.
On topic to this thread, I saved myself 10 grand on the truck by buying an off lease 2014 vs a new truck, and got some nice farkles that I would have wanted anyway in the deal (tonneau cover and bed liner). My registration mill-rate tax will be lower, plus I ended up with a steel body instead of aluminum, but that is a whole n'other topic...

Paid cash for the latest car; 2013 Impreza LTD for the wife.

Paid cash for the new (PdP) 2003 FJR by giving myself a loan from my retirement fund. I had to pay it back but it was at low interest and principle and interest simply bumped up my retirement fund in the process.

No new bikes or cars until I purge a few. I've got my eyes open for something air cooled, flat six. But that will take a while...
How about a 1989 Porsche Carrera??

That or an earlier 911 SC is what I'd love to have in the garage...

Biknfkyfisher

Heh. Rich people. Who knows how they think. Ammiright? (BTW: That's joking around)