I Wrestled Her to the Ground :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about this, but know that you're not alone. It's just superficial scratches if the bike guts aren't damaged, and chicks dig scars, right?

Silly me believes the fairing and sidecases already represent rollover protection, so why pay big money for redundant protection?

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother owns the local Yamaha shop...
I could have ordered the crankcase cover, etc. and installed it myself, but have too much going on at work this week to mess around with it.
Wow... local stealer has such a bad rep that even his own brother won't deal with him unless he's in a bind!
winksmiley02.gif

Glad the damage wasn't worse. Think about sliders or cages for next time.
I have sliders. They didn't stop the highway pegs from mashing my crankcase cover. Oh well.

Bike is all fixed. New crankcase cover, gasket, fresh oil, filter, etc. All good as new except for the scratches that will haunt me for as long as I own the bike. Off to EOM on Thursday evening or Friday morning depending on what arrangements I can make at work. Life is good. :)

".... haunt me for as long as I own the bike." I can't tell you anything you don't already know, and certainly don't want to tell you how to live your life, but no one was hurt, no catastrophic property damage occurred, and the bike runs as good as it did before the crash.

If all those things are true, why would the incident be so upsetting?

Like you say to close your post: "Life is good." It sure is, brother. Safe travels to and from EOM.

Sorry to hear about this, but know that you're not alone. It's just superficial scratches if the bike guts aren't damaged, and chicks dig scars, right?
Silly me believes the fairing and sidecases already represent rollover protection, so why pay big money for redundant protection?
Fairings get cracked and scratched, along with crank and stator covers, the mirrors, and side bag panels when the bike falls over. My left mirror had huge gouges in it from my tip over and it's haunted me since day 1. Investing anywhere from $120-$400 and having parts that are meant to be scratched just makes good cents to me. After my incident a couple weeks ago, with both side fairings, crank cover, and cowl being replaced at a cost of over $2000, I'm putting in the extra $120 for a pair of frame sliders for the next time I tip it over, may it be a long time in coming. YMMV.

I had an ex drive her car with red lights and stuff on the dash. Reminds me of this story. Just wait.
Odot, please do tell. We need a mix of activity here!!
Come on Ray, Papa Chuy isn't getting any younger here! Odot, this isn't a lead in to the walrus and the polar bear joke is it? JSNS, Eskimo Humor!

Wow Jeff that blows!! Glad you got her fixed fast.

Isn't there a rule someplace that says you have to add a Drop Club logo within 48 hours of it happening or you have to buy everyone at EOM two rounds??

Isn't there a rule someplace that says you have to add a Drop Club logo within 48 hours of it happening or you have to buy everyone at EOM two rounds??
Not sure if that's a rule Dean...but it sounds like a good idea to me
punk.gif

".... haunt me for as long as I own the bike." I can't tell you anything you don't already know, and certainly don't want to tell you how to live your life, but no one was hurt, no catastrophic property damage occurred, and the bike runs as good as it did before the crash.
If all those things are true, why would the incident be so upsetting?

Like you say to close your post: "Life is good." It sure is, brother. Safe travels to and from EOM.
Ramen!

Scratches, like scars, are 'proof of life' - and usually preludes to tall tails & legends.

Though I haven't (yet!) wrestled Lucille to the ground, Rose has taken several 'naps'. I can point to any one of her several 'beauty marks' and recall when, where, and how we acquired it. I even remember the time of day/night and the weather!

Glad to hear that you have her all buttoned up and ready to roll. Enjoy!

Yeah, Shit happens Dean. Screw the drop club logo. I missed the 48 hour deadline.
rolleyes.gif
Now I guess I have to at least buy you and Joe a round. The fun never ends!

Well, I dropped my bike on the left side on a sloped paved parking lot. It happened last Friday. I didn't actually drop it, but wrestled her to the ground fairly gently. This is my second 2008 AE and it has never been dropped until now.
When I bought the bike it had highway pegs installed which I never use because I don't find them all that comfortable to use. And those highway pegs came back to punish me. The hex bolts of the pegs actually attach to the crankcase in places. So as the peg hit the asphalt, it bent inward, dented my oil filter, and put a small crack in the crankcase cover.

I started her back up and what do you know? An oil leak. Sweet! I was 30 minutes from home and decided to ride her there paying careful attention to the engine temp. The oil light came on about 5 minutes from home and the bike and I arrived home unscathed. The engine temp never went above the normal riding range.

After careful inspection of the damage, I could see there was only a small crack in the crankcase cover. No other damage worth crying over except for 2 little scratches on my left bag. I never thought I would ever drop this bike. I guess I was wrong. I'm sure many of us have been in this same situation. I was backing in a circle on a sloped asphalt parking lot. Nice.

My brother owns the local Yamaha shop. They picked up the bike, ordered the crankcase cover and gasket along with a few hex bolts to replace the longer ones which were used to mount the highway pegs to the bike. The parts are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and I'm planning to leave Thursday for EOM. Please Momma Yama, get the parts there by Tuesday. I can't miss EOM. It's just too important. :)

I could have ordered the crankcase cover, etc. and installed it myself, but have too much going on at work this week to mess around with it.

It's ironic how I've never liked the highway pegs and they came back to bite me. Without the pegs installed, there would have been no damage.

Life goes on......
Take off those pegs, if you haven't done so already. This is a sport touring bike and the riding position does not really lend itself to hwy pegs. Even though there are some being sold that way. Between the handlebar position and the hwy peg leg location there is no comfort zone anywhere. You'd have to move the handle bars back 4-6 inches to get your upper body to be upright enough to get a decent body/ knee angle. If you need hwy pegs get a, Harley with some ape hangers or a Honda Goldwing. I have ilium pegs installed on my BMW K1600 and they are only marginally useful. BMWs not made for those things either. On my previously owned Goldwing they were the bees knees. Could sit forever in a relaxed position. JMHO

I respectfully disagree. The highway pegs offer a comfortable alternate position for my legs. It may not be an ideal position, but the ability to adjust the position of your legs is very helpful. It also adjusts the airflow which is a bonus. That being said, I still would be interested if you decide to remove them.

Well, I dropped my bike on the left side on a sloped paved parking lot. It happened last Friday. I didn't actually drop it, but wrestled her to the ground fairly gently. This is my second 2008 AE and it has never been dropped until now.
When I bought the bike it had highway pegs installed which I never use because I don't find them all that comfortable to use. And those highway pegs came back to punish me. The hex bolts of the pegs actually attach to the crankcase in places. So as the peg hit the asphalt, it bent inward, dented my oil filter, and put a small crack in the crankcase cover.

I started her back up and what do you know? An oil leak. Sweet! I was 30 minutes from home and decided to ride her there paying careful attention to the engine temp. The oil light came on about 5 minutes from home and the bike and I arrived home unscathed. The engine temp never went above the normal riding range.

After careful inspection of the damage, I could see there was only a small crack in the crankcase cover. No other damage worth crying over except for 2 little scratches on my left bag. I never thought I would ever drop this bike. I guess I was wrong. I'm sure many of us have been in this same situation. I was backing in a circle on a sloped asphalt parking lot. Nice.

My brother owns the local Yamaha shop. They picked up the bike, ordered the crankcase cover and gasket along with a few hex bolts to replace the longer ones which were used to mount the highway pegs to the bike. The parts are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and I'm planning to leave Thursday for EOM. Please Momma Yama, get the parts there by Tuesday. I can't miss EOM. It's just too important.
smile.png

It's ironic how I've never liked the highway pegs and they came back to bite me. Without the pegs installed, there would have been no damage.

Life goes on......
Take off those pegs, if you haven't done so already. This is a sport touring bike and the riding position does not really lend itself to hwy pegs. Even though there are some being sold that way. Between the handlebar position and the hwy peg leg location there is no comfort zone anywhere. You'd have to move the handle bars back 4-6 inches to get your upper body to be upright enough to get a decent body/ knee angle. If you need hwy pegs get a, Harley with some ape hangers or a Honda Goldwing. I have ilium pegs installed on my BMW K1600 and they are only marginally useful. BMWs not made for those things either. On my previously owned Goldwing they were the bees knees. Could sit forever in a relaxed position. JMHO
The pegs are off. I didn't install them to begin with. Came with the bike.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm now the proud owner of this.

20150924_193523_HDR_zpsmb0igf7y.jpg

The wrestling to the ground wasn't so graceful though.
sad.png

OUCH! Human injuries?

(This dropping of bikes seems to have become much more frequent of late. Here's hoping it's a statistical anomaly.)

Yep, ended up resting on those, my bar ends my mirror and my bag. Side fairings were protected.

Surprised the mirror didn't fold as it is supposed to. Mine did so I just have a mildly rashed mirror edge and lower part of the left saddlebag. Beauty marks.