I Wrestled Her to the Ground :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for a trip to Stadium Yamaha Jasen...just don't make a habit of it!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Yea, when I got the bike back up the mirror was folded...sort of. I thought, well, that was lucky, all I have to do is fold the mirror back. Touched the mirror and it fell off in my hands.

Never really had a problem with the FJR mirrors that everyone else seems to complain about. I've got a WTB on here if anyone that replaced their mirrors with FZ1 mirrors has them sitting in the garage. Otherwise I'll just cough up the $100 and buy a new one.

Or I could just go the squid route and pull them both off.
biggrin.png
I've actually started to get used to not having the mirror over there...I sure do look harder before making a move. Nah, I need a mirror.

I agree that these incidental blemishes are merely "character marks." I bought an '05 with 9 K and sold an '05 with 56K. The 56K version had been dropped (by me) and had scratches on the fairing lower and bag. Before I sold the 56K I pulled the pristine panel and bag off the 9K version and swapped with the marred 56K parts. Right, the clean pieces went on the one for sale, the damaged parts on the one I kept. My sanity has been questioned on this account but my reasoning: the nice parts on the 56K bike probably added $1K to its resale value, whereas I don't much give a shit about cosmetics as they have no bearing on how the bike performs. My bike ain't for oohing and ahhing down at the saloon on Saturday night. They are MY scratches and I'm fine with that.

56K on mine right now. I figure by the time I put another 44K on it and am ready to think about a replacement, it won't be the scratches holding up the resale value.
biggrin.png

Surprised the mirror didn't fold as it is supposed to. Mine did so I just have a mildly rashed mirror edge and lower part of the left saddlebag. Beauty marks.
The mirror hinge bolt & belville springs can become corroded and seize over time. It's a really good idea to strip them out occasionally and treat them with something like ACF 50 grease..........

... Touched the mirror and it fell off in my hands.
Never really had a problem with the FJR mirrors that everyone else seems to complain about...
Why not splint it
smile.png
?

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised the mirror didn't fold as it is supposed to. Mine did so I just have a mildly rashed mirror edge and lower part of the left saddlebag. Beauty marks.
The mirror hinge bolt & belville springs can become corroded and seize over time. It's a really good idea to strip them out occasionally and treat them with something like ACF 50 grease..........
This may be true for mine. Just went out with a pair of pliers to the nub. It folds forwards fine, but only goes back to the detent, but not fully back like the other mirror. Of course, that may have also been damaged in the drop, but if the mirror would only fold to the first detent prior to the drop, that would explain the breakage. Maybe others should check their mirrors for proper foldability.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 40 yrs I've been riding, I've acquired a few marks of rank. The only way to avoid these story reminders, whether on your car, truck, boat, or bike is to never use it. When shit happens, fix/repair as best you can, learn from it, and move on.