**$%#%%@@* Ignition switch!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing a replacement switch fail also, I re-engineered mine. I added two relays, one for each pair of wires. I run the relay coils tied together, and the key switch wire pairs tied together. I figured if one set of key switch contacts went bad the other would still work. Less current gives the shitty switch more of a chance.

I filled the bottom of the switch with epoxy and re soldered the wires, Periodically I spray contact cleaner into the drain hole on the bottom of the switch assembly.

The red and brown wires are the ones that carry a load (and overheat the switch,) there's almost no current at all on the other pair. All it does is connect the sidestand ground switch to the ECU. Unless the switch is really crudded up that pair is almost never affected.

EDIT: Bike is home, put an ordinary switch on the red and brown wires, left the other pair in the switch. Turn on key, turn on new switch, hit the starter, bike fires up just like it should. Turn off either, engine shuts off. Bike is still powered (lights, etc.) until you turn off the switch.

Some weekend when there's nothing going on I'll do a post-mortem on the switch and add the findings to the collective knowledge pool.

Last edited by a moderator: