Indicator repeater light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt3355

Reaction score
:blink: Last week while touring in Eire my '03 (MK1) FJR developed an indicator fault that I have not experienced before.

I indicated to overtake and noticed that the O/S repeater light on the dash was not lighting. Stopped and looked at them, the N/S all worked fine, ie 2 lights plus dash repeater light, but the O/S (RHD) only the rear was going (quickly as if the bulb had blown).

Tried the 4 ways just to check, same still no RH repeater or front O/S just the one repeater plus 3 indicators; though the speed is now about right.

To me this indicated that it wasn't either ta blown bulb or the push connectors under the fairing as the repeater light would still work, but I changed the bulb nevertheless and checked the connections under the fairing, both fine.

The question is will it be a wiring problem in the instrument pod (dry joint?) as I believe that there are differences between the earlier models and the later one's or can it be the flasher unit (but how?).

Just to cloud the issue since this started playing up it will on occasions start to work, but only very occasionally and stop again just as quick.

Regards

Richard :angry03:

O/S? N/S? Repeater??

English, man, English!!!!! :lol:

Really, no idea what you're saying, except something's up with turn signals.

A little "2 peoples separated by a common language."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to cloud the issue
I was going to comment on the idiomatic issues when I saw this earlier, but decided to leave it to someone else.

I think you are dealing with a corrosion issue, though I have no idea what might be common to the single cluster indicator and the front turn signal and apparently nothing else - for that you will need to check the bike's wiring diagram. I think it likely that you'll find that the wire from the frame side of the connector that connects left control pod splits and runs to the front of the bike and to the rear separately - that is the likely culprit AFAICT from your description.

Good luck

:blink: Last week while touring in Eire my '03 (MK1) FJR developed an indicator fault that I have not experienced before.

I indicated to overtake and noticed that the O/S repeater light on the dash was not lighting. Stopped and looked at them, the N/S all worked fine, ie 2 lights plus dash repeater light, but the O/S (RHD) only the rear was going (quickly as if the bulb had blown).

Tried the 4 ways just to check, same still no RH repeater or front O/S just the one repeater plus 3 indicators; though the speed is now about right.

To me this indicated that it wasn't either ta blown bulb or the push connectors under the fairing as the repeater light would still work, but I changed the bulb nevertheless and checked the connections under the fairing, both fine.

The question is will it be a wiring problem in the instrument pod (dry joint?) as I believe that there are differences between the earlier models and the later one's or can it be the flasher unit (but how?).

Just to cloud the issue since this started playing up it will on occasions start to work, but only very occasionally and stop again just as quick.

Regards

Richard :angry03:
Well, I don't know for sure which is the O/S (off side), and which is the N/S (near side), but one is surely left and the other is right, and from the context I would guess that O/S for you must be your right side signals, since those would be the ones that you would use to "overtake" (pass). And the "repeaters" you speak of must be the indicators in the instrument panel. Rght?

The flasher (aka Turn Signal Relay in the wiring diagrams) is in series with the power feed to all four of the turn signal bulbs and the two low watt indicators in the instrument panel, before the turn signal switch. It cycles fast when indicating a turn if the load current through the flasher is lower than two big bulb filaments (indicates a blown bulb). With the four-ways on and just one blown / disconnected lamp, you still have the three other corners, so it would still flash at the normal rate.

So, your problem is that you don't have current through the front right turn signal bulb (for some reason).

Do your front running lights work OK on both sides? The front running lamp filament shares the ground connection at the socket with the turn signal filament, so if the running lights work the ground to that socket is fine.

The power wire to the turn signal splits off of the wiring loom to the rear signal lamp after the signal switch, and before it goes through multi-pin connector "B" (a 14 position connector with 10 positions populated forward under the gas tank), and then it goes off to both the front turn signal and the dashboard indicator bulb, so that is the most likely problem. For the right signal it should be the solid green wire in that connector.

Many folks have found green corrosion in the connectors up under the tank. It looks like this (this is an '04 so has slightly different different connector pin-outs than yours will):

IMG_2228.jpg

Thanks Fred for the info, the way forward maybe????

Firstly sorry about my English, that's maybe cos I am English and not American; so we speak a different language.

But yes it is a Euro spec bike, O/S = offside & N/S = nearside, repeater lamps are the green dashboard lights (that being you call it a dashboard?) and yes I ride on the left.

Fred I have had its front & tank off before (last year) with ignition relay problems, and know the corrosion that can accumulate under there. The bike is garaged but this is damp, cold old country so poor earths etc can & often do occur.

I have changed the bulbs and done the simple elementary stuff; but in answer to yours yes all running lamps are working fine, and as I say very occasionally so would the right hand indicator and "repeater lamps"

I would say I have never seen anything like this before but I also have a '74 MGB which I'm rebuilding and that has a similar problem, so have two headaches to keep me amused!

I'll have the tank off in the morning and also the front fairing if only to check for corrosion behind the dash and the switchgear.

It's sods law I like this bike, like it a lot but maybe as it will be 10 on the 1st of August it's time to move it on.

I'll let you know how it how goes (or doesn't!!!), but thanks for the pointer

Regards

Rick

OK, knowing what O/S and N/S mean (what's wrong with "right" and "left" by the way? :) ) the fact that the dash indicator (repeater) fails with the actual turn signal, even though the rear signal flashes, should narrow down the wiring fault location. The relay works (rear flasher OK) but the front flasher and dash indicator don't get the word. I'd look in a manual but I'm at work and don't have one handy. I'll have a look after work, but that'll be 3 or 4 AM for you!

Yep. Because both the Front turn signal lamp and the dash indicator light are both not working, it almost has to be the green wire's connection in the "B" connector that I mentioned. You only need to raise the tank to get at that connector. You'll find it stuffed in forward and above the cylinder head at the front of the frame. There are no other connectors that could malfunction and cause both of those lights to not work.

Thanks fellas, now we are all speaking the "same" English I know where to go.

I'll post a result as soon as I get to the job. Girlfriend has phoned in panic with all the rain we are getting (as apposed to all the sun we hear you are getting in the US,) that her garage is leaking like a sieve so I'll be fixing that tomorrow but that will no take too long; I hope!

But I know where under the tank to look now; good :yahoo:

Regards

Rick

Tad confused here; found a plug of the correct dimensions complete with the correct colour wire (green) leading into it. It does show some sign of overheating ie melting of the nylon leading to one of the female terminals, and the terminal itself is fairly badly corroded. Trouble is the lead leading off it is a double black/white, which I have no idea what it relates to; the green is connected elsewhere in the block. Do these things have internal straps?

While I looked for a wiring diagram on the PC I closed it all up so that I could rearm the Datatool, but leaving this plug disconnected. The bike armed fine, but with all the 6 indicator lights flashing (I did it 3 or 4 times to confirm what I was seeing!). To add to my confusion when I disarmed the Datatool I need to put the ignition on to put it in service mode and the instrument screen was blank (the ignition lights came on fine), so the plug I have disconnected must relate to this.

But there is a similar “B” plug next to the disconnected one which is smaller, with fewer connections and no green wires leading into it. I opened, cleaned and reconnected this earlier so it must be carrying the indicator circuits even though it’s the wrong colour code.

There has to be a simple answer here, I just cannot see it. :blink:

The other big connector under the tank is the "A" connector. And in all wiring diagrams I can find the right side turn signal wire is always solid dark-green in color on both sides of the "B" connector. Don't forget that one side of the connector will be the mirror image of the other.

Here's a diagram of these multipin connectors and the wire colors on a 2003 FJR

2003connectorcolors.jpg

And here is the pertinent part of the wiring diagram:

2003turnsignalwiring.jpg

Item 48 is the turn signal switch, and 53 is the 4-way emergency flasher switch. 52 is the front right turn signal. The B in a circle between the switch and the signal light indicates the wire goes through the B connector. The pair of Dark Green (Dg) and Chocolate Brown (Ch) wires that go off the picture to the left (before the B connector) go to the rear turn signals. 40 and 41 are the signal indicators in the instrument cluster.

All done and working, I will need to change the knackered electrical block. Still don't know where the fault lay, must just have disturbed what-ever it was.

It was stripped down at the end of last year and this block wasn't damaged then (as far as I noticed).

But thanks for the advice, this bike is 10 on the 1st of August and although the mileage is very low think it is time to move it on

FJR's are too expensive here in the UK, and just aren't worth their asking price :clapping:

That B connector has to be the place, or downstream of it. The switch feeds the dark green wire, which junctions off to the rear indicator before reaching that harness connector. After the harness connector it junctions again to go to the meter assembly (for the repeater) and down to the front fairing light assembly. The break, when it happens, is between those junctions, including the B connector. Of course, that half-inch of green line on the diagram might represent 3 feet of wrapped wiring loom on the bike! :huh:

Latest posts