Installing PCIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
Have a PCIII on its way, Forum group buy THANK YOU! I do have a question about the install. I've done the forum search and now know physically how the PCIII goes into the bike. I'm curious about the need to program? Is this just a plug and play item? Is it preconfigured for the bike its ordered for? Do I need to load it with software? I know that this is supposed to be the fix for the NASTYS that are the poor on/off throttle reponse and I'm really anxious to get mine in there but would like to know in more detail what needs to be done to get it working.

Thanks All

Have a PCIII on its way, Forum group buy THANK YOU! I do have a question about the install. I've done the forum search and now know physically how the PCIII goes into the bike. I'm curious about the need to program? Is this just a plug and play item? Is it preconfigured for the bike its ordered for? Do I need to load it with software? I know that this is supposed to be the fix for the NASTYS that are the poor on/off throttle reponse and I'm really anxious to get mine in there but would like to know in more detail what needs to be done to get it working.Thanks All

The powercommander comes with a "zero" map for your year model with no mods. This will make some difference in the throttle but not much. Search for wally's smoothness map or I think even better uselesspickles calculated smoothness map. Connect your laptop to the pc3 and send the map to the pc3.

QUOTE (tom b @ Jul 14 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have a PCIII on its way, Forum group buy THANK YOU! I do have a question about the install. I've done the forum search and now know physically how the PCIII goes into the bike. I'm curious about the need to program? Is this just a plug and play item? Is it preconfigured for the bike its ordered for? Do I need to load it with software? I know that this is supposed to be the fix for the NASTYS that are the poor on/off throttle reponse and I'm really anxious to get mine in there but would like to know in more detail what needs to be done to get it working.Thanks All

The powercommander comes with a "zero" map for your year model with no mods. This will make some difference in the throttle but not much. Search for wally's smoothness map or I think even better uselesspickles calculated smoothness map. Connect your laptop to the pc3 and send the map to the pc3.

Thanks, I'll look for the maps, just to clarify, the maps get sent to the PC3 after its installed on the bike?

1) Hook up PC3 to your computer. Download whichever map you want, and install to PC3.

2) Install PC3 on bike, follow their instructions.

3) Beer:30

Edit: this is the simple way for initial setup. If you want to change maps, you'll need a laptop (or some way to USB into the computer). Remember to leave room for the USB cable when you mount it, in case you do change maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll look for the maps, just to clarify, the maps get sent to the PC3 after its installed on the bike?
That's the way most folks do it. (on bike with a USB cable)

You could program it off the bike if you hook up a battery to it (if I recall, maybe a 9V?)

Update: I did some searching to back up my 9V guess above.

From the FAQ:

I want to alter the map in my power commander but I cannot get my computer close enough to my motorcycle

Using the 9V power adapter that comes with the PCIII allows you to remove the PC from the bike and bring it inside to your computer.

Here's a link to a bare bones pdf if you want to read it in advance of yours arriving.

Finally, there is a baseline map here for a 2006 "Stock exhaust, Stock air filter, Stock O2 sensor disconnected" plus a few others (at least a start) FWIW I am running the wally smoothness map on my 2005.

Last edited by a moderator: