Is Ethanol "Losing Its Clout"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
Man...I hope I'm not stirring up a hornet's nest here. Especially since it's cold outside and riding for some has become limited; therby, increasing their time and delicate sensabilities here.

I am posting this for only ONE reason: I really dislike Ethanol in my fuel and am hoping it goes away. This dislike has been increased as I have dealt with Ethanol related issues regarding chainsaws, and equipment. I recently found a couple places in Albuquerque that sell non-Ethanol fuel and rectently started running that in the FJR. I don't really feel a difference yet, but maybe just not putting that crap in my bike won't break something that is not already broken. I have also burned less than 2 tanks.

At one of the service centers for chainsaws here in Albuquerque, those guys are anti-Ethanol, almost to a religious fault. Standing at the counter, a customer can't miss the huge signs detailing the damage Ethanol does to small engines in lawnmowers, chainsaws, go-carts, generators, etc...They have interior engine parts and seals displayed that look like they are 100 years old, and claim the damage is caused due to Ethanol. While that may not be 100% true, as I'm sure some of that was also due to lack of use, or maintenance, it does not change the fact that this stuff is a pain in our collective butt. Especially those that run older dirt bike engines, quad engines and the like. If someone rents one of their gasoline powered pieces of equipment, like a log splitter, that person has to buy fuel from them, because it has no Ethanol in it and they don't want that stuff in thier equipment.

So, I am posting the article I found in our paper today that originated in The Associated Press. The article is political, which you'll understand once you read it. However, I am hoping this thread does not become a political soap-box. I searched other "Ethanol related" threads here and found three pages of them, but none was close enough to just paste this and zombiefie it. I did find one regarding a petition to ask for more Ethanol-free fuel, and maybe now is a good time to bring that back up.

Iowans Worry About Ethanol's Lost Political Clout
ALTOONA, Iowa November 24, 2013 (AP)
By THOMAS BEAUMONT Associated Press

AP_logo_update_20130709.gif

For decades, presidential candidates' chances in Iowa were wounded if not doomed unless they backed federal support for ethanol, a boon to the state's corn-growing economy.

That rule of politics collapsed resoundingly in the 2012 campaign when five of the six top Republican candidates said it was time for such intervention in the private market to end.

Now, Iowa's senior political leaders are pondering how to shore up political support for the corn-based fuel at a time when its economic and environmental benefits are under attack .

The latest blow came this month, when the Obama administration proposed cutting the required amount of ethanol in the nation's fuel supply for the first time since Congress established a standard in 2007.

The state's leading Republicans and Democrats hope they can still use Iowa's political importance as a swing-voting state and as the site of the first presidential nominating contest to get candidates to support keeping the requirement, or at least part of it, in place.

But the case has become a tough sell for Republicans as the party has moved to the right and become increasingly hostile to government programs and directives.

Even among Democrats, concern has grown about ethanol's role in rising food prices and in cultivation of land that had been used for conservation.

The recent boom in domestic oil production has also made ethanol less prized as a U.S.-produced fuel that limits dependence on foreign oil. The grain alcohol burns cleaner than gasoline but produces less energy.

"I think there are some that feel it's potentially safer now to be lukewarm at least, or not supportive of it," said Iowa's Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey, a Republican. "I think it's yet to be seen if that's a smart political position."

U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa said he hopes to thwart the administration's proposal in Congress if it survives the 60-day comment period.

Meanwhile, Republican Gov. Terry Branstad planned to press his fellow GOP governors, especially those with possible presidential aspirations, to be mindful of the ethanol industry's economic importance. He met with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at a governors' association meeting in Arizona this week. On Tuesday, Branstad launched a Website for people to leave comments for the EPA.

For politicians eying the White House, "Whoever comes here better understand the importance of renewable fuels, or they are going to have hell to pay in rural Iowa," Branstad said in a recent interview.

The federal government began actively supporting ethanol, which is made by fermenting and distilling corn, about 40 years ago when petroleum prices spiked and anti-air pollution efforts were ramping up. Refineries initially were given a tax credit to produce the grain alcohol and Congress later required oil companies to blend it in their gasoline.

In Iowa, the nation's leading corn producer, about 45 percent of its crop went into ethanol last year. The state has 42 ethanol plants that produced 3.8 billion gallons.

Branstad said cutting the federal requirement would lower corn prices that have already fallen this year because of an unexpectedly robust harvest.

"They're making a huge mistake," Branstad said at the governors conference this week. "And they're going to drive corn below the cost of production."

We'll give this thread a try....but it's up to you all to keep it on track about FJRs...or at the very least motorcycles. Really about them. First person that misses that point and wants to use it as a soap box gets to wear the cone of shame with a closed thread. And if they do it because HRZ picked a political article...he gets to share it.

Let the experiment begin...

Thanks.

The Management

----

Personal note:

The article is far afield of FJRs, but from an FJR perspective it seems to tolerate ethanol fine...I think the plastic and rubber bits are all up to the task. The issue of water in the fuel is legitimate as we've seen in rusty tanks and occasional fuel pump blockage, but I *think* that can be mitigated by sticking to higher volume fuel sellers over mom-and-pops.

As for real-world differences in mileage...yeah there's *probably* 2-3% difference in E10 vs. conventional gasoline, but these days at the pump to go non-ethanol is WAY more than that any mileage difference is going to compensate.

Performance isn't an issue as our bikes seem to run fine on bottom tier octane fuels to begin with and they're rated the same at the pump whether ethanol'ed or not.

E15 concerns me though. I hope that doesn't come to pass as I think we'd see even more issues with tanks and fuel pumps with the FJR.

The issue of ethanol subsidy, actual cost, market, and other political are valid questions, but well beyond the scope of this forum. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever possible I run non-ethanol fuel in the FJR, as well as during winter storage for sure.

I see the ethanol related fuel system problems all the time in my shop. I keep a few examples to show customers. The biggest problem seems to be storage for over 60-90 days. once the fuel breaks down it seems to turn into a nasty green sludge that plugs everything. For storage I recomend the ethanol free with Seafoam and run the carb dry if possible.

It really raises hell with old boats with fiberglas tanks from what I hear from the marina people

If you go through a parts book for small engines you will find that almost all the listings for fuel system parts say not compatible with ethanol fuel. The local Sthil shop won't do warranty work that is caused from using ethanol fuel. That's what they told me when I bought my new saw

I have had zero problems with the FJR or the Wing running the E10 but for storage I run the tank way down and fill it with the good stuff and a bunch of seafoam run through the system.

I have read that we import some of the ethanol from south america where they have been using it longer than we have but have made parts that work that work. Maybe some of their tecnology will come this way.

Won't do a damn bit of good to worry about the politics so do what you can to offset the problems in your own stuff..

I bought my first bottle of Yamalub Ring Free to start adding as I think it may help a bit with this issue and try and fill up with the non ethanol when possible in the winter.

I also buy nothing but the non ethanol for my yard equipment as I have heard also about all of the ills that it causes with 2-strokes really taking the hit.

I use this web site to find the good stuff.

https://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

The problem for many of us is that we do not have a choice whether to use ethanol "enhanced" fuel or not. There are just not all that many places that sell "real gas" up in the northeast.

The web site Pure-Gas.org is a good resource to locate real gas availability (or lack thereof).

By the way, I would much rather see all of that Iowa corn being made into some nice Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. If we rerouted all of the nations corn to the distilleries, just imagine how cheap a bottle of good hooch would be!! We just need to convince the farmers and distillers to get together on this one.

We'll give this thread a try....but it's up to you all to keep it on track about FJRs...or at the very least motorcycles. Really about them.
Let the experiment begin...

The issue of ethanol subsidy, actual cost, market, and other political are valid questions, but well beyond the scope of this forum. ;)
OK, all fun topics to debate and speculate, but given the forum rules, my input is:

I have never actually observed any effect, negative or positive, from the use of ethanol in any motorcycle I have ever owned.

I see the ethanol related fuel system problems all the time in my shop. I keep a few examples to show customers. The biggest problem seems to be storage for over 60-90 days. once the fuel breaks down it seems to turn into a nasty green sludge that plugs everything. For storage I recomend the ethanol free with Seafoam and run the carb dry if possible.It really raises hell with old boats with fiberglas tanks from what I hear from the marina people

If you go through a parts book for small engines you will find that almost all the listings for fuel system parts say not compatible with ethanol fuel. The local Sthil shop won't do warranty work that is caused from using ethanol fuel. That's what they told me when I bought my new saw

I have had zero problems with the FJR or the Wing running the E10 but for storage I run the tank way down and fill it with the good stuff and a bunch of seafoam run through the system.

I have read that we import some of the ethanol from south america where they have been using it longer than we have but have made parts that work that work. Maybe some of their tecnology will come this way.

Won't do a damn bit of good to worry about the politics so do what you can to offset the problems in your own stuff..
Dammit...I wish I would have thought of that when I put the JetSki away for the winter. I was running fuel with SeaFoam in it already from our last trip to the lake. Then after getting around to it, I put almost 10 gallons of stabilized fuel in the tank and ran the motor for a bit. I never thought to put E-free fuel in it for storage. It is a 2012 Yamaha, so I think, like the FJR, it it built to withstand the stuff, but every bit helps I guess.

Maybe next season, I'll fill all the gas cans for the lake with the E-free gas. I'll have to pre-plan, and sometimes it will get mixed, but why not...

Kind of what I was getting at when I started this thread was the possible stepping away from Ethanol. IF that happens, it will be a very slow process, but as long as we're headed that direction, we're not headed towards E15...I can't think of one person who thinks E15 is a good idea.

So, keep this related...If I have to wear the cone of shame again, I'm gonna be irritated:

the-cone-of-shame.png

Been using ethanol since 1977 in Iowa and never had an alcohol related issue. But it does not like to sit for long periods of time and separate in really cold weather. Having said that, I am glad I moved to northern Arkansas where real gas is readily available.

I have personally seen no problem running the 10% blend in whatever I'm driving or riding. I've run both in my bikes and checked mileage and seen no significant difference.

Several years ago, a friend and I rode our Goldwings to South Dakota, and while there, as an experiment, he ran nothing but 100% gasoline, and I ran 10% ethanol. Our fuel mileages had always been almost identical to that point, and while there, that didn't change.

But I just don't think it's living up to whatever promise its proponents thought it had. I'll offer the article at the following link if anyone cares to read it. It's long, but IMHO, it's worthwhile.

https://news.yahoo.com/secret-dirty-cost-obamas-green-051200204.html

My small engines really get gummed up if I don't drain the E10 before storing them for the season. Engines that get used regularly seem to do OK with the ethanol but anything that sits for a few months has trouble. Anything with a carburetor seems to be more sensitive to the corn.

There should be a drop in mileage using an alcohol blend, but it's hard to know how much is in something you buy at the pump. Mostly they seem to say something like may contain up to 10% ethanol. But how much is in what you pump into your tank at a given point is not really knowable.

I've not experienced any problems with fuel system components in any of my engines (also includes weed whackers, chain saws boat engine, generator), though I don't take any pains to avoid potentially drunken fuel. But given the realities of using corn to make fuel, I think it should be dropped. I do think other approaches I've heard of to non-jurassic sources would work much better, but they seem to be making little headway to market.

For those who don't know, there is an effort underway to develop an aviation gasoline that contains no lead. Right now, most of us have to use a leaded 100 octane fuel simply because of a combination of bureaucratic obstacles (not all government, BTW) and market forces (the biggest driver). Ethanol isn't involved at all (most of the Avgas fleet is over 30 years old), though other non-jurassic sources are being included as part of the work.

I was out chainsaw shopping today and every place I went told me very specifically that I would need to plan on running 91 octane due to ethanol in the lower blends. Some said it would void warranties if ethanol damage was detected on repairs. Stihl and Echo are even selling a pre mix ethanol free gas by the quart for $7.99 per can. The big advantage to it is it's supposed to have incredibly long shelf life so I can see myself maybe buying four quarts or so in case we get slammed with ice storms like we did a few years back. I went to: www.pure-gas.org and sure enough every station listed as ethanol free was 91 octane or higher. So... does that mean the stations not listed have the crap in all their grades?

Edit: I usually try to keep 91 in my FJR just to avoid ethanol.

I was out chainsaw shopping today and every place I went told me very specifically that I would need to plan on running 91 octane due to ethanol in the lower blends.
I'm not sure that's a foolproof method.
not_i.gif
At least where I live at almost all the normal fuel stations....all the octanes including 91 & 92 have ethanol. It's only at a couple of Conocos that they have mostly regular pumps (yes, 3 islands have 91 with up to 10% ethanol) and a special pump near the back that has 92 non-ethanol specially tagged....for about a $0.30 more a gallon.