Is it Me, or Bags Difficult To Latch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Love the bags compared to the ST1300s even though they're smaller, since they come with luggage straps and liners. But, when closing the bags up I use a hand to squeeze the sides together as I close the latch, and I STILL feel sometimes like the pressure I have to use is going to sheer off the latch lever.

Do they get easier with use? Is there something I can do to ease the opening and particularly closing? I can polish Glock parts to speed wear and lighten and crispen the trigger. Anything I can do like that here? Thanks.

I simply reopen and close the bag a few times, retrying the latch each time. Nothing seems to be catching and I don't notice any difference in the actual feel of the lid closing but for some unknown reason the latch will be smooth as glass one time and bind like hell the next.

Just try that until it closes smoothly and you're good to go. Seems silly and a bit unreasonable but it works for me. YMMV

Mark

Are both bags the same? I don't know if they are any different from the Gen II bags, but mine only close hard when there is something obstructing them. Usually a strap if they are empty or the edge of the liner if full.

Oh, but you have a GenIII, might want to ask the GenIII crowd.
tongue.png

The bags should have no problem closing at all unless as mentioned that there is an obstruction. I always close my bags by hand to a point that the male latches on the cover are lined up properly, then I just kind of squeeze the bag cover in along with pushing the actual latch down. I also push the latch down far enough so there is no stress on the key to lock. Otherwise you'll start bending/breaking keys and buying new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
The manual says they could be stiff when new and to work several times to loosen up. Mine are getting better, but the first few times I thought I was going to break the latch.

Mine have always been pretty tough to latch. After reading about keys bending, I basically squeeze it shut by leaning on it until I can see it's all lined up, then twist the key. My right side bag seals so well, it's beyond waterproof, it's pressure proof. At NAFO last year after following some crazy Canucks and hauling ass down a huge long mountain pass, it took two people to pop the seal and get it to open! It was vacuumed-sealed shut....

The latch you really have to watch out for is the one on the bag handle that pops up the tab on the back of the bag that holds the bag onto the bike. That is just a couple of plastic gears in a completely inaccessible place, and it loves to get gunked up with road spooge. You do not want to force that handle or it will skip gears inside and then will not be securely latched on.

I try to make a habit, when washing the bike, of flushing that mechanism out with running water while simultaneously operating the mechanism back and forth to get as much of the grit out as possible. I've never had any issues with the lid latches unless obstructed, but maybe your lid gaskets are so new those are what is holding things back? Maybe try squeezing the lid to the bag even harder while using the latch?

I don't use the latch handle to help close the clam shells. Rather I put pressure on the moveable case and ensure its completely closed before I latch it. This way I can feel if there is blockage and I'm not stessing the locking system. Bill

The main reason the system cases are hard to close is because you simply put too much stuff in the soft bags. If the soft bags become too wide due to overstuffing, then the two halves of the system case become difficult to close and can put undue pressure on the locking mechanism. A simple check is to see how easily they close when empty. So, be careful not to overload the bags and never try to force the two halves together, and you most likely will avoid this problem.

Right after I got my 05 I noticed the exact same problem to a tee. I just started putting bungie cords around them and never had any more problems with it. I know it takes some time and looks kinda funny but, it works.

Love the bags compared to the ST1300s even though they're smaller, since they come with luggage straps and liners. But, when closing the bags up I use a hand to squeeze the sides together as I close the latch, and I STILL feel sometimes like the pressure I have to use is going to sheer off the latch lever.

Do they get easier with use? Is there something I can do to ease the opening and particularly closing? I can polish Glock parts to speed wear and lighten and crispen the trigger. Anything I can do like that here? Thanks.
As others have said, alignment is crucial.

Make sure nothing is anywhere round the lid seal, or it'll never close.

If it takes any pressure on the lid to close, what tends to happen is the lid bends a bit to that the top doesn't quite align with the bag. I find if you push the lid up a bit at the bottom as you close it, alignment is easier. Then hold it in the fully closed position as you lower the latch. Don't put any pressure on the key, it WILL bend.

Finally turn the key, it may help to hold the latch lever down to ease turning the key. There are posts about freeing the latch locks so they turn more easily, they can be stiff which can also lead to a bent key, I can point you to at least one if this is a problem.

The latches on my Gen III can be a bear to close, even when the bags are empty. Holding stout closing pressure on the lid while engaging the latch and turning the key seems to help some. Still, the mechanism seems rather squishy and uncertain.