Is there any evidence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that it is more of a plastic dash failure than windscreen issue. I have too many miles parking mine in the sun in HOT temps with no problems whatsoever. And how many people have had it happen? I think there is very little risk personally.
But don't forget...you've never had a decel headshake problem, either, IIRC. :)
Not sure what the flying f*%$ that has to do with the topic, but...........

Sure I have. I have experienced it occasionally when certain models of front tires get really worn/cupped, or when the back of the bike is heavily loaded. But then I never really considered it much of a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and some more blah!
But don't forget...you've never had a decel headshake problem, either, IIRC. :)
Not sure what the flying f*%$ that has to do with the topic, but...........
My Dearest RadioHowie, I sincerely want to apologize to you on behalf of and for my illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG. I am so shocked that he had the unmitigated gall and sordid nerve to accuse you of ever straying off of a topic; The Horrors Of It All!

My Friend, I certainly hope you are able to withstand this vicious personal assault and be able to continue with your ever so productive and helpful posts to our Fine FJR Forum. Brother Steve, keep up the Good and Noble Work!!! Sincerely yours, BeemerDonS

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it is more of a plastic dash failure than windscreen issue. I have too many miles parking mine in the sun in HOT temps with no problems whatsoever. And how many people have had it happen? I think there is very little risk personally.
There's more to it than just the auto-retract. It also has to do with where you are in latitude, which windscreen you have, time of day, weather, etc etc.

When I parked my bike in the same place at work every day with the windscreen the in the same position for the better part of 4 years, I only had 2 or 3 instances of burn spots occurring on the dash. Once I figured out what was going on, I could prevent it.

I agree the risk is very little, but it does happen and it's not something that can be easily predicted before hand. I wouldn't let it stop me from disabling the auto-retract. In fact, mine is still disabled.

Good God ! I can't believe with this crew no one has said to put a toggle switch on the wires, switch down it works like factory, switch up the auto retract is disconnected. I did and have the best of both worlds.