Is this balancing or what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
I'll send pics tomorrow.

The front tire on an '06 AE with BTs has worn so bad on one side (left) that the bike pulls to the left. And, the tire is unusable because the tread is splitting on the left (as seen from sitting on the bike) so bad that you can see belts. But the center treal still had life in it.

I've never had this happen before. The bike is unrideable even if the tread weren't splitting. If I let go of the handle pars, I'm in a steep left lean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt its balancing. Its more likely an alignment issue. That is unless you keep a huge pocketfull of change in your left pocket

I'll send pics tomorrow.
The front tire on an '06 AE with BTs has worn so bad on one side (left) that the bike pulls to the left. And, the tire is unusable because the tread is splitting on the left (as seen from sitting on the bike) so bad that you can see belts. But the center treal still had life in it.

I've never had this happen before. The bike is unrideable even if the tread weren't splitting. If I let go of the handle pars, I'm in a steep left lean.
In a world where we drive on the right side, the left side of your front tires will generally wear much faster than the right. clicky

How many miles do you have on that tire? If you are seeing belts you will clearly need to replace the tire anyway. See what happens to your steering when you mount a new skin on there. I'm betting it resolves your pulling issue.

I'll send pics tomorrow.

In a world where we drive on the right side, the left side of your front tires will generally wear much faster than the right. clicky

How many miles do you have on that tire? If you are seeing belts you will clearly need to replace the tire anyway. See what happens to your steering when you mount a new skin on there. I'm betting it resolves your pulling issue.

OK. That clicky you sent convinced me that it might not be abnormal. I've seen uneven tire wear before (on cruisers ). But this is my first sport bike and mine looked excessive as hell. I've never had one wear so uneven that I have to constantly counter steer to counteract the force.

That clicky was a ton of info. Interesting.

My tires on other bikes, Ducati, and BMW, have cupped or scalloped on both sides with fairly even wear, between the right and left sides. My FeeJ is the first to wear out the left side rapidly compared to the right side. It also scalloped rather deep. Interesting why my other tires never biased one side, at least not as noticeable as the FeeJ.

That clicky was a ton of info. Interesting.
My tires on other bikes, Ducati, and BMW, have cupped or scalloped on both sides with fairly even wear, between the right and left sides. My FeeJ is the first to wear out the left side rapidly compared to the right side. It also scalloped rather deep. Interesting why my other tires never biased one side, at least not as noticeable as the FeeJ.

My guess is that you are cornering more aggressively on the Feejer, and our girls are a bit on the portly side considering how hard we lean them over. Those two factors would tend to aggravate and accentuate the wear patterns, IMO.