Is this the next helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes technology is good, sometimes it is bad.

Sometimes I feel it would be great just taking a trip on a bike with 650cc, spokes, 4 speeds, single front disc, rear drum brakes, speedometer, tach, and a 4 gallon gas tank, no itinerary...and see how it all comes out.

I've driven a corvette with HUD and it's actually pretty cool. If done right I think it could make for safer riding. I'd personally not want to see info on GPS, music or anything else, but having your speed floating somewhere low in your visor would be pretty nice.

Sometimes I feel it would be great just taking a trip on a bike with 650cc, spokes, 4 speeds, single front disc, rear drum brakes, speedometer, tach, and a 4 gallon gas tank, no itinerary...and see how it all comes out.

I've driven a corvette with HUD and it's actually pretty cool. If done right I think it could make for safer riding. I'd personally not want to see info on GPS, music or anything else, but having your speed floating somewhere low in your visor would be pretty nice.
Good points, I agree with both. Having technology that you can adjust ... pick and choose when and how to use it, could be more useful, and in some ways better. A continuous flood of information ... does it make you a better rider? More safe? ... or remove something from the experience of riding a motorcycle.

A few months ago I was telling a guy about the technological changes of the latest FJR, and he related a story of when he lived in Africa for a number of years., A small Honda as his primary transportation ... nothing but a gas tank, a chain drive, some cables that operated the entire thing. He remembers it as some of the best motorcycling he has ever done.

As much as a helmet like this would be kinda neat, I'm thinking that the next new thing in helmets oughta be a mixture of two technologies that we already have. I'd love to see somebody design a helmet around some quality ear phones, rather than trying to stuff cheap speakers inside the helmet after it's designed. They know how to design quality headphones, they know how to design quality helmets. Why can't somebody give us both? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me... and it oughta be a lot more practical and affordable.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see this with gps and audio, speedo and gauges as well as infrared cams for critters in the night. maybe even a rear view cam.

Its only a distraction if you fixate on it.

I likes the electric toys!

As much as a helmet like this would be kinda neat, I'm thinking that the next new thing in helmets oughta be a mixture of two technologies that we already have. I'd love to see somebody design a helmet around some quality ear phones, rather than trying to stuff cheap speakers inside the helmet after it's designed. They know how to design quality headphones, they know how to design quality helmets. Why can't somebody give us both? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me...
Gary
Gary,

Straight forward idea that seems doable and would be a money maker. I purchased a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones for my wife last year, and was surprised at how well they worked at noise canceling (particularly at a fixed frequency) and how good they sounded when playing music. I do not play music when I ride, but some wind noise cancellation I might be interested in.

My thoughts as well. Some of my favorite roads were found when I was hopelessly lost. I still don't have a GPS other than my cell phone.

I used to fly charter and was current in 5 different airframes, everything from a single engine turboprop to Learjets. On my days off it was nice to jump in the Cessna 140 that we had to hand prop to start because it had no electrical system. No radios, no nav...just jump in and fly around. Simple and relaxing.

Kinda why I have more than one bike. The FJR is farkled out with gadgets to take the bulk of the work, but sometimes it's nice to kick the 250 enduro to life and just ride.

If the HUD helmet takes off and the price approaches something reasonable, I'll probably get one...even if I don't wear it all the time.

After a bit of clicking around I found the LINK to apply as a beta tester. Perhaps at least it will pave the way for more valuable offers (junk mail lists)

I am interested, but a helmet is, first and foremost, intended for protection. If it fits me well and I have confidence in the protection it offers, I'd be interested. But I won't compromise for gadgets.

My criteria for a helmet is, it must be capable of providing excellent protection, fit, comfort, ventilation and visibility.

After that it is just icing on the cake.

We are living in an advancing tech world, so it comes as no surprise to me that helmet manufactures are going in that direction.

It you are a gadget guy or tech guy and this type of helmet meets your safety and comfort requirements, this may be the helmet for you.

I've said before that I'm not a technogeek gadget guy. And that I imagine I'll have no use for this type of huckster magic. But ya know, I said the same thing about cell phones and social media. The first I caved in to tho I just text a lot with maybe 1 actual phone call every other month. And I've never, ever downloaded an app. Ever. WTF for? I can't read the damn phone display anyway. I've yet to cave to facebook, twitter and the like.

So I signed up. WTH right? Maybe I'll get to see if they actually designed a comfortable helmet with a display these old eyes can actually read. It'll be tough tho- if I hadn't memorized the number positions on my speedometer I would have no idea how fast I'm going. Trouble is I just need reading glasses. Anything inside of 2 ft I can't see worth crap. Distance vision requires no correction whatsoever.

So how's a display like this gonna work for defectives like me? Will it work for us at all? I'd like to find out.

As much as a helmet like this would be kinda neat, I'm thinking that the next new thing in helmets oughta be a mixture of two technologies that we already have. I'd love to see somebody design a helmet around some quality ear phones, rather than trying to stuff cheap speakers inside the helmet after it's designed. They know how to design quality headphones, they know how to design quality helmets. Why can't somebody give us both? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me... and it oughta be a lot more practical and affordable.
Gary
What do ya know? Somebody actually did this by cutting down a set of headphones. Amazing write up.

CLICKY

I enjoyed reading it. Then there was another fella that made his own molded ear buds:

CLICKY 2

Also pretty interesting.

But still wish SOMEBODY would produce a practical helmet that had some of these features built in, including that amazing heads-up display.

Gary

darksider #44

Infrared for the critters would make this a must have, as far as I'm concerned. Too many lost and maimed friends due to deer strikes.

I saw this at the Long Beach MC show last December, pretty cool.

I also agree with some liability and concentration issues etc.

This technology reminded me of that Mike Nesmith (The Monkey's) dirt bike movie, Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann. If you haven't seen this flick it's worth the watch. Only took 31 years to get something close to it.