IT'S ALIVE!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job Scott, you are the envy of all the wrench heads here. Gives me the confidence if I ever have to do something like that myself. If ponyfool can do it....... Hats off, man.

Bill

PF, glad to hear everything went so well. I'm sure you'll agree - every time I've taken on a mechanical project that I didn't have prior knowledge of it's turned out to really not be as hard as I would have imagined. I'm not saying what you did isn't impressive - hell, you accomplished a major mechanical task in little time with no prior experience - just that the impossibly complicated big project all boils down to a million little easy projects that aren't much harder than lefty loosy righty tighty.
You are right, I completely agree. With the exception of a couple of phone calls, having my neighbors help me flip the engine, and a friend coming over to help me guide it back into place, I did everything alone. I kept telling myself "if you run into anything you don't understand, stop and get help." I never ended up needing to. They have engineered this bike to being almost simple. This was a much more daunting task in thought than it was in reality.

It reminds me of when I was 16 years old and bought my first car stereo. I had never worked on a car before so I paid a friend to install it. The entire time I was watching him, I was getting more and more pissed that I was going to pay him because there was nothing he did that I couldn't have done.

While I will never be intimidated by another project like this as it relates to my bike, I also know I'm still very much a novice in this area. I don't know the tricks of the trade. I don't have the experience to know what parts need what to make things go more smoothly, etc. I also didn't have to touch anything having to do with the timing or that side of the engine. That is one area where experience is extremely valuable.

Oh, one thing I forgot in my original post. I owe this forum a big THANK YOU for the resources you provided me. I know without this forum, I would be out an additional $2000 because I would have never had the confidence to do this.

I'm always proud of people like you, now nobody can touch your tutu, way to go, if I ever need that job done, i'll buy you a ticket to Switzerland and you can do mine as well...

made my day just reading about it

Alfred

Definitely an amazingly amazing job, Scott! Hum. Perhaps deep philosophical parallels to be drawn between big, intimidating bike job and the myriad details in a lifetime... Nah!

Congradulations, i to followed your story. Excellent job. Make sure not to let it out of your sight again.

happy 4th Be safe. Dean :clapping:

Following your post on the tranny rebuilt was like reading a suspense novel. Will he get it done? Cheering from the side lines, come on ponyfool!

Gota love a happy endding. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I wouldn't tell your boss, the next time a squad car has tranny trouble it might show up at your door! Well done! :clapping:

Congratulations, Scott. I've followed these threads and am totally impressed w/ your courage/skill to tackle a job like this. I can't imagine in what alternate universe I would ever attempt a tranny rebuild.

You done good!

Nice, PF, really nice. That is a tremendous accomplishment. I fancy myself a decent wrench, but I NEVER would have taken this on - don't have the stones. I am truly impressed.

I think the really good thing about this is we all benefit, because as long as you're around, we have an FJR Tranny Guru in our midst. Oh wise tranny guru, tell me all things gears and dogs...

-BD

Been silently watching.....congrats....very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use that two grand you saved to buy the whole forum some used Ipods..........

Excellent job Scott! I like the idea of the name change... to trannyfool :)

One of my very first bikes, more then 20 years ago, was an old harley xlch. One side casing was cracked and it leaked oil. I decided to take it apart and see if I could replace it.

Without a manual, or any guidance, I ended up with the transmission gears everywhere, accidently. I brought it to the dealer as a "basket case".

Today I'd know better how to proceed, but not so sure I could accomplish what you have... trannyfool man ;) you da man!

Your news is awesome! Huge congratulations on doing the job yourself. That definitely took balls.

We could all benefit from a bit more summary info about your adventure.

Specifically...

Q. What tools did you purchase that might not be considered "standard items" and were possibly specific to the tranny rebuild?

Q. What is your total estimated labor hours that you (and friends) spent on the job?

I'm curious to know how much $$$/hour you paid yourself.

:)

Latest posts