It's Really True! Damn Motorcycles are Hard to See

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a fairly major street (4 lanes, 40 mph limit, very light traffic) tonight just after 9, so almost full dark. I was turning left (on the FJR), nobody coming from my right, and to the left, a car a long half block away when I checked. I started rolling into the street and was just ready to gas it when I suddenly caught some movement and hit all the binders hard. Bearing down fast and almost right on top of me is some gal on a little scooter! Near as I can figure, her little single round headlight must have seemed to merge with the lights from the car that was well behind her as they both approached me from my left.

This is exactly what happened to Brodie when a guy in a pickup pulled out on him as he approached--thought his two close-set FJR lights were on a car much farther away. Damn, I've NEVER done that before--in ANY vehicle. Felt like a major horse's ass, and it gave me a damn good shake-up. It also gave me a major wake up call for my own riding. I've said it a million times--they don't see us. Shit, I guess sometimes, even WE don't see us!

boy...stock 2 wheelers just don't come with enough tools of visibility

for better or worse, I feel much more confident and safe with all this burning up the darkness...

4597002453_32266c5984_z.jpg

for better or worse, I feel much more confident and safe with all this burning up the darkness...

Amen!!

Mike, I'm glad it turned out ok. Definitely a wake up call we should all think about.

This is exactly the reason I try to weave the bike back and forth a little anytime I'm approaching a situation like this. Probably more concerned with left turners in the median, but basically any time someone is entering your right of way and may not see you.

Have forgone headlight modulators on the current ride, but am always prepared to keep the same speed, but quickly weave the bike back and forth, that headlight moving like that makes us way more visible.

Good thing you saw it coming Mike, that would have really sucked.

I see this picture and image that "Close Encounters" theme music is playing in the background!

Mike... for someone (me) shopping for lights. Which single set (offensive and defensive) are most beneficial?

+1 on the weave. Doesn't need much, just make it move. It's something I started a couple of years ago after being almost killed 4 times in 2 miles by both oncoming left turns, and right turns from my right.

Since I got the habit of weaving as I approach those situations, I've not had a single encroachment.

Wouldn't have helped SacMike in his situation, but it would have helped the scooter rider.

+1 on the weave. Doesn't need much, just make it move. It's something I started a couple of years ago after being almost killed 4 times in 2 miles by both oncoming left turns, and right turns from my right.

Since I got the habit of weaving as I approach those situations, I've not had a single encroachment.

Wouldn't have helped SacMike in his situation, but it would have helped the scooter rider.

I know what your saying, but on second hand, it would have helped them both. Getting T-boned by a moving scooter has got to smart. eeeyytch.

Weaving helps, but I'm not comfortable that it is enough. I do everything I can to make sure I'm seen, including additional lighting front and rear, a headlight modulator, and a flasher on one of my brake lights. I know the modulator annoys some drivers, but I also know that it has prevented a few people from pulling out in front of me.

The more important point is that we are also responsible to take that extra second to make sure there is no vehicle coming down the road before we pull out. Most riders are not doing anything special to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, a friend who was an insurance adjuster told me; "Every car/motorcycle accident I've investigated", the car drive says, "I just didn't see them?" Of course back then there were less vehicles on the road and always on headlight for motorcycles hadn't been standard! I'm sure almost everyone who rides has had someone cut them off because they weren't visible to the other vehicle? Riding experience helps you be more cautious but I'm afraid the case of "I just didnt' seem them" will prevail! I weave and in the daytime ride with the high beams on, I try very hard not to ride at all at night, of course that can't always be the done but the deer around here are really dumb! My 2cents!

Mike,

If this Scooter was the one that almost T-boned you, I don't see the big deal! :p Seriously, there are some good tips in this thread about letting others see you as we've all heard the adage to "make eye contact" and we know that don't mean squat!

I see this picture and image that "Close Encounters" theme music is playing in the background!

Mike... for someone (me) shopping for lights. Which single set (offensive and defensive) are most beneficial?
That's exactly what the front end of my bike looks like too, except I have the amber lens covers on the Glendas (lower set shown). And yes, I've gotten the "Close Encounters" comments from folks many times. Me being seen wasn't the problem this time, of course. Would have helped if he (actually she, I think) had had the same setup as me. But going back to how Brodie was the victim of a pullout like that, about the first mod he did on his replacement FJR was the big Krista lights, as shown above.

And Scotty, I presume you were asking Patriot, but since I have the same ones, and my name is also Mike, I'll answer. The Clearwater Kristas--the big ones above. If I had just one set, they'd be that. In traffic at night, in the city, I run them at minimum brightness. They're bright, but not too bright to use (I don't get flashed by other drivers) but they offer incredible visibility. The wide placement also helps that.

For daytime, I still run them, but at about half power or less (unlike when using a "dimmer" switch, when they're on less than full, they use LESS power). On the dark empty roads, IMO there's nothing better both for lighting up the road downrange and the sides of the road where the deer lurk. Clicks back down to minimum with the high beam switch, doesn't drain all my electrons, well made and dependable, premium customer support. Clearwaters. Patriot will agree.

The more important point is that we are also responsible to take that extra second to make sure there is no vehicle coming down the road before we pull out.
Absolutely agree. If I'd pulled out, it would have been completely my fault. And shoot, I ride a freaking MOTORCYCLE. And I do it in California, where in the last week I've seen about 30 of these.

motorcycleawarenessmonth.jpg

And Scotty, I presume you were asking Patriot, but since I have the same ones, and my name is also Mike, I'll answer. The Clearwater Kristas--the big ones above. If I had just one set, they'd be that. In traffic at night, in the city, I run them at minimum brightness. They're bright, but not too bright to use (I don't get flashed by other drivers) but they offer incredible visibility. The wide placement also helps that.

For daytime, I still run them, but at about half power or less (unlike when using a "dimmer" switch, when they're on less than full, they use LESS power). On the dark empty roads, IMO there's nothing better both for lighting up the road downrange and the sides of the road where the deer lurk. Clicks back down to minimum with the high beam switch, doesn't drain all my electrons, well made and dependable, premium customer support. Clearwaters. Patriot will agree.
Yep.. I thought about the name confusion after I posted, but seeing you are both familiar it worked out ;)

That was the answer I expected, Thanks..

Last year I picked up a First Gear HiViz Lime Green jacket. I was amazed the first time I wore it.

A LOT less folks trying to run over me, pulling out in front of me, etc.

It may not be the coolest looking jacket , but it sure gets noticed.

my kneejerk reaction answer is:

I run the big top lights (Kristas) at half bright during the day and full bright at night

They are the "light up the night" offense for night riding...they also are good defensive, but I didn't buy them for defense or primarily to be seen and $600 plus probably shoudn't be spend if you are only concerned with being visible.

I don't get flashed, and actually like riding in the middle of the night in the summer with 100F temps in the afternoon and my not taking heat very well, but insist on ATGATT which I've baked like a brownie sitting at a traffic light or crawling through traffic on the slab. No cops, no traffic, no rush hour, and left lane pretty much empty with lotsa trucks running along in the right lane. Set the cruise to 79 and go go and more go. Temps in the 80's feel a lot better too. Vehicles see me coming, report a space shuttle must be making an emergency landing, and get out of my way !!!

Visibility, to me, is what I have the smaller fender bolt, on the lower fork, down by the calipers Glenda lights...and I chose to run them full bright 100% of the time...my primary purpose there is defense or being visible...I do believe in the "triangle of life" with headlights at the top apex and two lower, spread out lights all making a triangle...they say that's psychologically the most attention getting.

and, of course, duh, it's very important that all the lights are aimed correctly and none of them can be seen reflecting in other vehicles mirrors, both side and rear view

but then, hay, what do I know :eek: