Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds great, George!

Thanks for being the guinea pig, and for posting your impressions.

Looks like this is a winner.

I only have two questions: Do you access the third drive mode with the same switch, and does it register on the display?

<snip> I only have two questions: Do you access the third drive mode with the same switch, and does it register on the display?
Third mode is accessed with the "mode" switch, just like stock. As you toggle switch, you'll see Tour-Sport-Blank, blank = third mode.

--G

As I get more comfortable with the '16 ES, this looks like something I will be seriously considering in the near future. Any more details on the 3rd drive mode? Is it just an intermediate mode between touring and sport?

What happens if Ivan "smokes" your CPU? is there some kind of guarantee?

Does seem like a no-brainer for a '13, even if just for the C/C limit.

Do you still have the PAIR system in place with the Yoshis? If so any difference? He claims to disable this eliminating the need for block-offs.

Are you still on the original TPS? I'm very aware of the on/off throttle transition but with every ride I'm still trying to understand if I can blame it on a faulty TPS or not. Might be a bit of both too.

Happy to hear about the bar tingliness (Yes that is a word, at least after today) also. Another sync has been on the calendar and was waiting to package that along with the cans and pair-plates but now this has me rethinking. Wonder if he does ride-ins?

Oh and thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us.

The off and on throttle is a tuning issue unless you have a faulty TPS.

Yes, Ivan does offer a ride in service. Call him to schedule it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any more details on the 3rd drive mode? Is it just an intermediate mode between touring and sport?
The new third mode is definitely between Tour & Sport. It’s been quite a while since I’ve ridden a GEN II, but if my butt dyno is calibrated, the mode seems quicker and engine-wise more responsive and free-reving than a pre-‘13 FJR.

This is the third flash experience for me ‘pants. I’ve had my Tenere done twice approximately three years apart. No issues. I guess anything’s possible but a call to Ivan would be in order for clarification.

~G

Do you still have the PAIR system in place with the Yoshis? If so any difference? He claims to disable this eliminating the need for block-offs.
Are you still on the original TPS? I'm very aware of the on/off throttle transition but with every ride I'm still trying to understand if I can blame it on a faulty TPS or not. Might be a bit of both too.

Happy to hear about the bar tingliness (Yes that is a word, at least after today) also. Another sync has been on the calendar and was waiting to package that along with the cans and pair-plates but now this has me rethinking. Wonder if he does ride-ins?

Oh and thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us.
PAIR system was removed and is hanging on the wall in the garage. Still on original TPS. Only have about 22K on my ‘15A (multiple bike disease!) so I haven’t had nor sense any problems with the TPS. That issue is always in the back of my mind...

e) All YCCT response delays (detuning items) - turned off.What is this referring to? Does this mean quicker throttle response?Canadian FJR
Give Ivan a call ‘Canadian. When I spoke to him, he explained the YCCT was doing all sorts of funny things between twist grip position and actual throttle plate position.

~G

The most promising part of this ECU flash (to me) is the Fuel Cut elimination. That is what causes the majority of off-to-on throttle jerkiness, which is better on 3rd Gens and later, but still happens. I would also welcome a middle ground drive mode between T and S. I dont really need any more power, especially if that means having to run higher octane fuel. I wish that he had a selectable menu list of flash features.

My understanding is that he has reprogrammed the ECU to never open the PAIR solenoid so that you dont get the after-fire pops in the aftermarket exhaust. Id still want to put the block off plates on and get rid of the plumbing on any bike that I could get away with it. Remember though that some of the latest years will detect the missing solenoid and throw an error, so this is the solution for them.

Sent mine to Ivan today. Talked to him and the 3rd mode is optional and will not show up on the display. Went for it anyway. He is the best tuner I have found. Purchased 2 jet kits from him in 2003 and 2005 for my FZ1's and it made them both into whole different animals for the better. He leaves no stone unturned and is not happy until it is RIGHT. Can't wait!

As SDJohn said. $350 is better than $600. Looks like another way to spend money on the fjr.
Just do it 'junior...work another month before you retire.
rolleyes.gif

You won't be disappointed with your [new] FJR!

--G

Ivan'swebsite says he spent 2 years developin g so it is backwards compatible to 2002. I don't have time before we leave, but would like to see if that means he has a flash for gen 1 and 2 or is really close to having one for them.

This is the third flash experience for me ‘pants. I’ve had my Tenere done twice approximately three years apart. No issues. I guess anything’s possible but a call to Ivan would be in order for clarification.
~G
Worth asking about. I've flashed many things over the years and it wasn't until recently that I bricked a router doing it. So, even when someone knows what they are doing, it can happen. Having a warranty (like on the router) is a safety net in case the 1% possibility becomes your 100% happened-to-you-event.

Ivan'swebsite says he spent 2 years developin g so it is backwards compatible to 2002. I don't have time before we leave, but would like to see if that means he has a flash for gen 1 and 2 or is really close to having one for them.
It just says "coming soon" on his website for the Gen I and Gen II.

My comment was to a line that was further down with regard to backward compatible.

get a pair of wire cutters, cut all wires going to the ecu, then pry it out using a crow bar. You are welcome..
whistle.gif

Ahh, there it is, the other side. Yamaha has done better in that the RR is high and dry now, not under and near the rear wheel. Same for the ECU.

Ivan is in the process of looking for a low mile completely stock Gen 2 FJR. The Gen 2 ECU is "old school" compared to the Gen 3 bike. When he finds the bike he will begin the same tuning process that he used on the Gen 3. Stay tuned!