JIS motorcycle screwdriver set

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
MCN had a good article last 2 months about JIS screws and the need for JIS specific screwdrivers on certain screws. So happens I also read that Honda uses JIS screws on their autos too, including the screws that hold the rotors onto the hub, and lotsa posts on the Honda auto forum about guys stripping out those screws when using regular Phillips head screws.

MCN recommended finding Vessel JIS pro toolsets, and they seem only to be available online. Luckily, their US website has put together a motorcycle specific set of 8 screwdrivers, including 2 stubbies and an impact driver using the more common #3 JIS driver. This may help avoid some the stripped screws discussed on this forum.

Cause I've never met a tool I couldn't buy, I got a set on the way that I may bring to the PNW tech meet. Here's the link to the set for anyone interested. I used the coupon code IH8MUD and saved 10% the order, which works out to $70 plus shipping.

Motorcycle_Repai_5148ae35b31b6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Extract from Wikipedia clicky here for the full story

JIS B 1012The JIS B 1012 is commonly found in Japanese equipment. It looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot.

Specific "JIS" standardized cruciform-blade screwdrivers are available for this type of screw.

Most of the screws you are likely to encounter on motorcycles and cars will be #2 size. As an alternative to the set above, I offer the Hozan D-332-100 JIS #2.

I bought one of these for the very reasons Hudson discusses. It's a high quality tool, as are the Vessel brand, and is a joy to use with the ball grip. Works great on all the JIS screws in the garage and about the house. Even the tiny screws on the hard drive I pulled apart.

I am a tool whore, to a point, but didn't see the need for the $80 set for my use, so just the single tool for $13 was more appropos to my needs.

Great info, going to order 1 set for the shop and 1 single stuby for the tool kit on bike, and I like the impact feature in the set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the timely post Hudson. I read the same article in MCN and considered ordering a set for myself...now you put me over the edge.

For all the wrenching we do at Tech Days these will get a lot of use!

--G

My reaction was, "Great. Another tool I have to buy." My second reaction was, "Great, now in addition to using my phillips screwdrivers to bung up my Japanese screws, I can have Japanese screwdrivers to mess up my phillips screws."

My reaction was, "Great. Another tool I have to buy." My second reaction was, "Great, now in addition to using my phillips screwdrivers to bung up my Japanese screws, I can have Japanese screwdrivers to mess up my phillips screws."
The possibilities!!
fool.gif

In my case, the Hozan handle is distinct from my Mac Tools and Craftsman screwdrivers, so it's easy for me to avoid grabbing it when I don't want/need it. Every once an a while now, I grab the phillips, stick it in the screw head and go Hmmmm, then try the JIS to see if it fits better before I apply any force. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

The possibilities!!
fool.gif

In my case, the Hozan handle is distinct from my Mac Tools and Craftsman screwdrivers, so it's easy for me to avoid grabbing it when I don't want/need it. Every once an a while now, I grab the phillips, stick it in the screw head and go Hmmmm, then try the JIS to see if it fits better before I apply any force. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.
and heard the same when you were dating
aikido.gif

The possibilities!!
fool.gif

aikido.gif
USMC stationed on Okinawa. Some of the girls I dated were Japanese Industrial Standard!

I read both of the MCN articles on JIS screws/screwdrivers. At the time, I didn't have an obvious need; German and British bikes, no Japanese cars. Look where I find myself now!

I think I've got some Amazon freebies...

The possibilities!!
fool.gif

aikido.gif
USMC stationed on Okinawa. Some of the girls I dated were Japanese Industrial Standard!
I spent two years on Okinawa and you're right

Ordered the set yesterday and recieved it today,at a little over 10$ each cheaper than SnapOn. Wish I had had them last weekend when I rejetted my brothers bike as I destroyed all 8 bowl screws,at least the kit he got had replacements

Latest posts