John Ryan Attempts "Ultimate Coast to Coast"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been some questions posted here, and I welcome them. However, please be patient, as I type slowly, and try to spend as little time as possible on the internet.
Thanks, and best regards,

John Ryan
Thank you so much John.

You gave all us on the forum a special treat as we got to sit over your virtual shoulder and watch your blip move doggedly from North to South. We got to see an epic ride on an FJR go down in history.

Enjoy the afterglow.

Ig

Thank you John. As a Type I diabetic the same age as you, you provide quite the inspiration.

So much for that excuse. :grin:

Quite an achievement and proof that us riders can do what some consider impossible because we are challenge driven people and believe that we can "Press On"!!

Congratulations for your ride.

When telling a co-worker on the phone of John's AMAZING accomplishment, the co-worker queried, "Why would anyone want to do that?". My simple reply was, "Because he wants to live his life to the fullest instead of sitting around on his ass someday wondering why he didn't. You ought to try it sometime". Of course there was silence on the other end of the line.

People often wonder why we ride. I don't pretend to even plan to attempt the amazing feat John just accomplished. However, I do regularly set out a course for my own personal goals. Whether it's just a short jaunt in the surrounding hills or setting out on a multi-day journey. Either way, what separates us from the rest of the herd is that we have that innate desire to live our lives to the fullest. It's people like John that add more fuel to that fire burning inside each of us.

Thank you John for sharing your journey and letting us vicariously ride along with you! You are a true inspiration. :rockwoot:

When telling a co-worker on the phone of John's AMAZING accomplishment, the co-worker queried, "Why would anyone want to do that?". My simple reply was, "Because he wants to live his life to the fullest instead of sitting around on his ass someday wondering why he didn't. You ought to try it sometime". Of course there was silence on the other end of the line.
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. But you might have left that last line off to reduce the dead air time on the phone, eh?

:rolleyes:

Oh, and if you find yourself getting advice on how to be tactful from me, you are one hurtin' puppy!!

:p

so he bragged about speeding,he got pulled over and all,are they giving him a cert?is so i want mine!!!!

i read more it seems it wont be a cert. so same deal as mine so disregard the above,lol

quite a ride to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
People often wonder why we ride. I don't pretend to even plan to attempt the amazing feat John just accomplished. However, I do regularly set out a course for my own personal goals. Whether it's just a short jaunt in the surrounding hills or setting out on a multi-day journey. Either way, what separates us from the rest of the herd is that we have that innate desire to live our lives to the fullest. It's people like John that add more fuel to that fire burning inside each of us.

Thank you John for sharing your journey and letting us vicariously ride along with you! You are a true inspiration. :rockwoot:
:thumbsup:

Hello, everyone, and thank you for the kind words and encouragement found here.
[All kinds of snappage...]

Last, and foremost, I could not have done this without my family. I come from a big one that is held together by unconditional love, a great rarity in this day and age. That they have come to accept my endeavors is truly miraculous.

Thanks, and best regards,

John Ryan
Good ride John, what's next?

so he bragged about speeding,he got pulled over and all,are they giving him a cert?is so i want mine!!!!
i read more it seems it wont be a cert. so same deal as mine so disregard the above,lol

Beat that dead horse...he needs more beating.
Apples and Oranges.

I never bragged about speeding. I was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign, after I was off the clock, and on my way to the southernmost point for the picture required there.

The ride will be certified, but the time may not be publicly acknowledged, depending upon average speed versus average speed limit for the route.

For the IBA to certify the ride, in your case a thousand mile day on Deal's Gap, the average speed limit for the route must make that thousand mile day legally feasible. That is not possible on Deal's Gap, hence not certifiable. In the cities, for example, we had to find routes with an average speed limit above 41.7mph and have them approved by Mike before the start. There are certificates out there for 2K days, but the site lists them as 1800+. Mike may not publish my time on the site, but it is certifiable and fully documented.

Your ride on Deal's Gap was incredible, and there is not likely anyone else capable. I hope that you had a nice plaque or something made, maybe even have the documentation notarized. It is a shame that it isn't certifiable, but that would make us too easy a target for the safety/insurance idiots, and people who like to make that kind of noise because they're incapable of riding safely for extended periods. They take some satisfaction by launching unqualified criticism.

Best regards,

John Ryan

I never bragged about speeding. I was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign, after I was off the clock, and on my way to the southernmost point for the picture required there.

The ride will be certified, but the time may not be publicly acknowledged, depending upon average speed versus average speed limit for the route.

For the IBA to certify the ride, in your case a thousand mile day on Deal's Gap, the average speed limit for the route must make that thousand mile day legally feasible. That is not possible on Deal's Gap, hence not certifiable. In the cities, for example, we had to find routes with an average speed limit above 41.7mph and have them approved by Mike before the start. There are certificates out there for 2K days, but the site lists them as 1800+. Mike may not publish my time on the site, but it is certifiable and fully documented.

Your ride on Deal's Gap was incredible, and there is not likely anyone else capable. I hope that you had a nice plaque or something made, maybe even have the documentation notarized. It is a shame that it isn't certifiable, but that would make us too easy a target for the safety/insurance idiots, and people who like to make that kind of noise because they're incapable of riding safely for extended periods. They take some satisfaction by launching unqualified criticism.

Best regards,

John Ryan

thanks for the reply john!!

i drive a long haul truck so you can see why this type of ride never interested me,lol, but great ride and to do it as safe as you did was great,i will get my story first hand next time before i comment"damn internet,lol"

tried to post a pic of john on his FJR - but link did not work.

anywayz - it's the same one of him (but bigger) in the story link above.

Last edited by a moderator: