John Ryan Passed Away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad news indeed.

He left a lasting impression on all who had the fortunate opportunity to have met him.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. RIP Mr Ryan

John Ryan was an inspiration to many - not just those of us in the long distance riding community. John provided hope to many, including those with diabetes, and proved that great obstacles can be overcome to reach one's goals and see their dreams come true. I know that John was very proud of his 2009 record-breaking ride from Prudhoe Bay, AK to Key West, FL (5645 miles 86 hours and 31 minutes).

It saddens me that I will not be able to thank John for the inspiration and motivation he provided during an 'extreme' Iron Butt challenge I successfully completed a few weeks ago. But, for what what it's worth, I will give it a shot here: John-- THANK YOU, FOR EVERYTHING.

- D.

It's always difficult to hear about the loss of a good spirit in this world... wishing all those that knew him some solace in the memories of good times shared and to hold that close to your hearts. There aren't ever any words to make it any easier... :(

I only got to meet John a couple of times. I was struck with how free and open he was with me, a newbie at rallying, and gave me full encouragement during the IBR.

RIP John and condolences to his family.

We had dinner at an event a year ago with him & a few others. Wow! What a nice and smart guy.

This is a shocker.

I'm sure it has been discussed here before, but the book about him "The Man who would stop at nothing" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson is a very good read. RIP John.

Very sad. I never had a chance to meet John, but knew who he was and what he accomplished.

It's a dangerous world. No one gets out alive. At least he died doing what he loved. It sure beats wasting away to cancer or ALS. Quick is better than prolonged. It still sucks.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He was too young, but most of us don't get to pick the time or method. RIP John.

Don, thanks for posting that video.

sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a pit of the stomach aw s---. Loss to our fraternity, we all chose and he was riding.

I was always very impressed with the way he dealt with adversity.

Another one of the good ones gone...

Shane

What a devastating loss. Some people just seem so much larger than life, like this couldn't/shouldn't be possible.
sadsmiley.gif

* Damn. Thanks for posting that video, but that was a tough watch. We're all aware of the risks we face, but... Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.