John Ryan Passed Away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may sound insensitive, but he sounds like the kind of guy that you could see getting buried in his Roadcrafter.
No...I don't think that's insensative. That's who he was. How many people recognized him largely because of that suit?? We buried my dad in a pair of jeans and a polo...Because that's who he was.

I think the same applies here. I wish I was closer...I'd go to the funeral.

Thanks for the link Tyler all I can say is WOW !! and Rest in Peace JOHN RYAN.

Thanks for the link Tyler all I can say is WOW !! and Rest in Peace JOHN RYAN.
It's kinda weird... I didn't know him... but I'm so sad at his passing... I had heard his name in the LD circles but never crossed paths... I'm guessing I would've really liked him had we done so... maybe that's what I'm sad about... a missed opportunity with a very cool human being. The more I read about him, the stronger my thoughts go out to his friends and family... what a really wonderful man.

..and he laughed, a belly laugh, full of wonderfulness and fun, when I told him about the Candy Butt Association.

My interpretation was he loved the irreverence of it all.

I know this is stupid, but after my dad died, losing people who I don't think deserve to go has a weird effect on me. Like Tyler, I'm sad I never met the man. His accomplishments are astounding, and his outlook on life just makes me think.

Those pictures of him show a guy that is very happy and enjoying what he has. It makes me want to cry knowing that is now gone. That's what I think is stupid: feeling so sad about someone I didn't even know. He would have been a cool guy to hang out with and many of us missed it.

I know this is stupid, but after my dad died, losing people who I don't think deserve to go has a weird effect on me. Like Tyler, I'm sad I never met the man. His accomplishments are astounding, and his outlook on life just makes me think.
Those pictures of him show a guy that is very happy and enjoying what he has. It makes me want to cry knowing that is now gone. That's what I think is stupid: feeling so sad about someone I didn't even know. He would have been a cool guy to hang out with and many of us missed it.
+1, Gunny, extremely well spoken AJ, Thank You!

In a close friend interview; "it was a normal thing for John just to take off out of the blue on his BMW motorcycle and have no destination in mind whatsoever, when he got tired he just parked and slept right there on his bike."

OK, I have a hard time not falling out of my bed when I sleep, Holyschmolley!

As others have said here, I've never been lucky enough to meet him, but John Ryan sure sounded like THE man.

RIP Mr. Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
A John Ryan motel..........
JCRMotel_zpsfd50a6b5.jpg

I had the honor of meeting John in Duluth, MN at the Aerostitch Very Boring Rally in August. He took the time to speak to me and even took a look at my rear tire assuring me that I had enough tread to ride back to Pittsburgh, PA. We attended John's question and answer talk at the VBR3 Rally. It was most interesting. He couldn't speak at his scheduled time as he was a type 1 diabetic and his sugar was too low. After a little food and drink, he began his short talk with no preparation. The questions and answers went on for some time. My friend, who rode out with me to the rally, brought a copy of Melissa Holbrook Pierson's book, "The Man Who Would Stop At Nothing" which was written about John. A very good read which I would recommend highly. My friend Tim already had the book autographed by Melissa and John was happy to add some nice sentiments with his signature. I didn't know John, but I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet him. He was very calm and centered and was a joy to communicate with. It is so difficult for me to process his passing. He is in my thoughts throughout the day. RIP John.

I totally get that.

My John story.

John was a very down to earth guy, always ready to help someone, never afraid to get his hands dirty. That created a lot of good karma that was returned to him also.

In the 2005 IBR, John was riding his BMW K75. An odd bike for such a big guy, but he somehow made it work.

He ran into problems along the way in, of all places, North Bay, Ontario, my home town. Lucky for him he contacted a character named Ron Leblanc, a number he must have found in the BMW MOA emergency help book.

Ron, a mechanic by trade, was Mr. BMW in North Bay. He knew them inside out. Being that it was late at night, and there were no dealers Ron worked with a machinist friend. They fabricated a part for John's bike and got him back on the road. John finished in the top ten. He never forgot the guys in North Bay.

Cut to 2011 IBR, Buffalo checkpoint. My "pit crew" Cam Sanders is desperately trying to undo a bolt that prevented us from removing the front wheel of my '04 FJR. We needed a special wrench to get the bolt off. I went running into the lobby of the hotel, and who do I meet? None other than John Ryan. "What do you need?" he asked. I described our problem. Within minutes John was there with the proper tool, wrenching on my bike. I chuckled. It was like having Bobby Orr tape your hockey stick.

Wheel off, new one on, a hand shake, and he was off to help someone else.

When I got back to North Bay I talked to Ron Leblanc and told him the story. He had not forgotten John either.

John listened when you talked to him. During the time he spent with you he gave you his undivided attention.

And he was like that with everyone. Big, small, rich, poor, superstar, noobie. DIdn't matter. He made you feel that what you had to say was important.

Just one reason why he'll be missed by those who crossed his path.

Peter Delean

North Bay, ON

I am proud to say I knew John. I would see him at local event's in the city and the metro area. He would always ask me how

my 03 is doing and was genuinely interested. He would even ask my advise on settings or handling.

He was a great guy and will be sorely missed!

FJRFlowers_zpsbbf966b6.png

A very special flower arrangement done by a friend of one of John's many cousins. My emotions have been all over the place the past several days, especially so Thursday evening and Friday morning.

I've been copying this forum and ADV (thanks for the tip on how to do that, Iggy) and sending them to Chris Sakala who put together copies of everything, plus copies of LDRider for the family.

Please be careful out there folks.

Rest in Peace John, I wish I could have met you, your inspiration to many of us.

For anyone interested - John's family asked in lieu of flowers or other remembrances - that people please make a donation to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, a camp for children with diabetes. John was active in supporting the camp and it would be a fitting remembrance - helping children suffering with the disease to live life and fulfil their dreams. It can be done quickly and easily on line at: https://www.campnejeda.org/site/PageServer?pagename=campnejeda_homepage

Thanks for considering doing this - I know John would have approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.